Co-op

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Co-op

Post by Gustaw » Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 am

If we manage to reach the stretch goal during our Indiegogo campaign, we will be able to add co-op to the game!

Now, this will be a pretty different experience than the singleplayer one, and will probably get stripped from the main story. Right now we see it similiar to Terraria, meaning that the gameplay mechanics will be pretty much the same as in the singleplayer mode, but with balancing added to keep the atmosphere and challenge intact.

Co-op would probably be reserved for playing with friends only, as permadeath will have to remain and players will be forced to help each other to not die, which will be pretty hard with strangers ;)

So how do you see co-op in Darkwood, or what are your favorite multiplayer experiences with sandbox games?

UndeadGuru
VIP

Re: Co-op

Post by UndeadGuru » Fri May 03, 2013 9:53 am

Gustaw wrote:but with balancing added to keep the atmosphere and challenge intact.
I think the balancing of these two factors is very difficult. Dead Space 3 co-op was horrible. There was zero challenge or scary moments, I was laughing with a mate the whole time.. Some survival horror games does it right however! I think Cry of Fear is a perfect example of a good co-op horror survival game. (The game is now free to play on Steam) Also The Hidden: Source, an asymmetrical multiplayer game, was such a scary co-op experience I've had in a long time..
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

Jayhon

Post by Jayhon » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm

I'm really excited for this game, and now even more excited for the possibility of Co-op, it would only make Darkwood better & will open the game to a somewhat larger audience. A lot of my friends including me enjoy Co-op more than single player. Some favorite multiplayer experiences with sandbox games? Well I enjoy playing Terraria & Minecraft with friends occasionally. I like the horror aspect that Darkwood is going to bring to the table, Can't wait! Keep up the hard work! :geek:
There is no inherent 'Good' or 'Evil' in this world. Those labels are just artificial constructs. 'Right' and 'Wrong' are determined by people who hold positions of authority. It just makes us feel safer to believe that it can be carefully categorized into 'Good' and 'Evil'. Where does your knowledge come from, your 'Ability' to know 'Right' from 'Wrong'?
Think about it.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Thu May 09, 2013 7:36 pm

Yeah, we (the wizards) played the shit out of Terraria together.. And Minecraft seperately :P

Kennedee
Supporter

Post by Kennedee » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

I was thinking about what may you do for Co-op, in case that we reach the amount (at the moment, too far away) but... I think, one of the most important things in the horror genre is that you must to feel alone, insecure, the only thing that you hear is the silence, and the best for me, you feel that there is something else around, that you can't see until is too late, that's very scary when you play amnesia, for example.

but in Co-op mode, first at all, if you play with friends, you normally play using skype or some tool to speak with your partner, that eliminate the fact of being alone, if you have company, you feel a little more secure, and there is no more silence in the game at all.

now the question is, how may we do to feel alone, when you are with some one else?

and that thought was, that you may use some important places for both players, but in some cases, make that the players see, and heard different situation,when they are together.

Taking the idea of the game, that you will begin to ask your self, what is real and what is part of your imagination, the tipical scene: Player 1 hear something that player 2 is no able to hear, just the player one can hear that something is moving thru the bushes, 1 ask, did you hear that?, 2 say, i didn't hear nothing, but the game make the desition, is that real or not?, if yes, the player 2 will be totally surprised about something, that player 1 was expected, of if no, well, i don't know, but could be a reaction for both players about this.

or too, you simply walk with your partner through the forest, and suddenly one of them, see something, that the another is no allowed to see, and for example, one of them find some place, one player may see this place, but the other no, and suddenly, when one of them go to that place, disappear for the sight of the other player, and than you may give the chance that one of the players is in danger of death, and the another one, can't do anything to help, and when the player succeed in stay alive you must to find your partner again.

the idea is make that the players feel that in any moment that you will find yourself alone, no matter that you are always trying to be close to your partner.

I know that this is really difficult to do for a game, but I wanted to give some ideas about it.

stealerofchildren
Supporter

Post by stealerofchildren » Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 am

I'm confused, on the website it says that co-op will be added if you reach 170,000 in funds. Does this mean that if that goal is not reached there will be no co-op? Sadly I don't think you are going to reach that within the next 10 days. I really hope you add co-op no matter how much is raised. Is this game going to be released slowly with updates adding to the game or just one full, final release including the whole game?

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Mon May 27, 2013 12:59 pm

@stealerofchildren
If we don't reach our stretch goal for co-op, we won't be able to add it. It's a extremely complicated thing to implement in a open world game like this and would have to be worked on from the beginning. So if we don't reach it (but anything is still possible!) then maybe in Darkwood 2 ;)
Right now we don't plan public alpha builds.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Wed May 29, 2013 5:32 am

Gustaw wrote:@stealerofchildren
If we don't reach our stretch goal for co-op, we won't be able to add it. It's a extremely complicated thing to implement in a open world game like this and would have to be worked on from the beginning. So if we don't reach it (but anything is still possible!) then maybe in Darkwood 2 ;)
Right now we don't plan public alpha builds.
Too bad, maybe a second crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter should do the trick? :)

xxlegionxx

Post by xxlegionxx » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm

Gustaw wrote:Right now we don't plan public alpha builds.
Despite not havin plans for public alpha, does this mean you intend to have a closed alpha/beta?

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Thu May 30, 2013 5:01 am

xxlegionxx wrote:
Gustaw wrote:Right now we don't plan public alpha builds.
Despite not havin plans for public alpha, does this mean you intend to have a closed alpha/beta?
Short answer: Sadly no. :cry: