Difficulty Settings

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Difficulty Settings

Postby kataklysmos » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:16 pm

I just bought Darkwood, and really like the game so far. After playing for a bit, I realized a couple things. First, killing the Wolfman was a horrible mistake. Second, the difficulty settings were pretty misleading to me. I put the game on "normal" for the first playthrough, but the normal difficulty feels far too forgiving. In the loading screen the message being displayed stresses how difficult and unforgiving the game is, but in "normal" difficulty, death is essentially a fast travel back to your hideout. It doesn't feel like the missing items are enough of a penalty to make dying as horrible as it feels it should be. After being ripped to shreds by night monsters, simply respawning in the morning and being able to pick up my items makes "normal" difficulty feels more like a tutorial mode, whereas the harder difficulties feel like they should be labeled as normal.

Obviously, this doesn't affect gameplay. I needed to restart because I killed the Wolfman and wanted to get that part of the story, so I just put it on a tougher difficulty this time. I was just wondering if there was any possibility of the difficulty options being renamed so that they are less misleading. Something as simple as changing the "normal" option to "forgiving" and mentioning that it makes losing via dying impossible might make what it actually means more clear for new players.
kataklysmos

Re: Difficulty Settings

Postby ShadyS » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Problem about differencies between Normal and Hard is that you probably will die lots and lots of times during your first playthrough and you have almost 0 chances to make it to the Epilogue on "hard" . So basically you may be right, normal - is a tutorial mode.
ShadyS

Return to Suggestions