Mirrors

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Mirrors

Postby Bandersaur » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:11 am

As far as I've seen, mirrors are a largely unexplored item and game mechanic, yet their potential is astounding.

Mirrors could spawn in bedrooms, bathrooms, and poor quality ones could be crafted from anything significantly reflective.

The players FOV would be reflected in the mirror, allowing well positioned mirrors to be used as a way to watch corridors/rooms without the protagonist having to put themselves in the direct line of fire, or simply to check a bedroom without actually entering. However (Thank Sunday for his/her phobia in the monster suggestions thread.) they could also harbour unwanted guests. While useful, they would break if shot/hit with an object/screamed at by a Banshee/ or damaged in some way, shattering into broken glass.

They would reflect light *Surprise!* enabling the player to scare away light fearing monsters without too much trouble, but could also be used by the more intelligent monsters to spy on the player while his/her back was turned. (This could in turn trigger a 'You are being watched' cue, whatever that might be.)

**Edit. Here's your diagrams/explanation**

Can't see the image below? Have a link.
http://i.imgur.com/gNc5gkm.jpg

Anyway, post your own ideas/comments here.
Bandersaur

Re: Mirrors

Postby Gustaw » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:32 am

Welcome to the forums Zem!

That's pretty cool, there actually was a discussion about mirrors a while ago in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74

I think it would be very interesting to add mirrors in our top-down perspective, but it will also be pretty challenging ;) I especially like the sanity aspect Nhoise was talking about, as YOU as the player will not be able to actually see what's inside the mirror.. but the protagonist can!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby He With Many Eyes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:37 am

I like the reflection idea with the mirror. It may also be cool if there was a monster that could move from point to point using the reflection. :)
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."
He With Many Eyes

Postby TheBigcheese42 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:58 am

Having a monster that can only be seen indirectly would be an interesting mechanic, come to think of it. A sort of "Reverse-Vampire' effect.

In fact, that could be a potential downside of using a mirror. Having invisible creatures that can only be seen in the reflection of the mirror, which in turn angers them.

Imagine it, you run into a room, place a mirror to help you watch the entrance to the room as you nervously peak out of the window. You look back at the mirror to see if your pursuers have entered the hallway yet, and have this grotesque creature revealed sitting right next to you.

Yikes!
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Postby Gyrosser » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:00 pm

I'd be careful here, as this could get confusing to teach the player. Really cool ideas though, but if looking at a mirror can cause some sort of negative effect, your gonna have to advertise their presence heavily, which is hard when mirrors hang on walls, normally cluttered, ruined, walls and will be hard to notice. And if the player doesnt notice, they will not be able to counter whatever negative effects are associated with the mirrors. From player's POV it will be some random negative effect.

I'm all for the whole seeing around corners and/or light reflections from other rooms, dont see any problems there. Could be used to light up your hideout efficiently.
Gyrosser

Postby Gustaw » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:47 am

We're gonna be searching for someone to remake our lighting system soon, hopefully we can make mirrors then! :D
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Need » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:51 am

Gustaw wrote:We're gonna be searching for someone to remake our lighting system soon, hopefully we can make mirrors then! :D

Why?I think lighting system is good as it is.
sorry
Need

Postby Bandersaur » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:12 am

Gustaw wrote:We're gonna be searching for someone to remake our lighting system soon, hopefully we can make mirrors then! :D

Wait, what? This is actually a possibility/thing now? *Hyperexcited squeaking* :D :D :D

I love you guys!

*Buys game*
Bandersaur

Postby Gustaw » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:34 am

I think this would be very cool to implement as this ties neatly to the "what the player sees vs what the protagonist sees" theme. Right now we have to fix some bigger issues like how the world is constructed, pacing, nights etc. but we will definitely try to get this in the game!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby macias » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:14 am

any chance seeing alpha 2 by end of october, cause 2 months gone with no rumours?
macias

Next

Return to Suggestions