Firearm magazines

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Firearm magazines

Postby Tygrende » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:47 am

Hi, fellow warszawiak here.

First of all let me thank and congratulate you for making this awesome game, really enjoying it so far. Great atmoshpere, exploration, choices&consequences, combat, almost everything really.

However, I can't say I like the way reloading firearms works, firearms that use magazines to be specific. My issue with it is that reloading will consume an entire magazine regardless of how much ammo is left in the gun without returning a partially-empty magazine, effectively wasting all the ammo that was left in the gun.

There are multiple problems with this- first of all it is unrealistic and nonsensical enough to be a major immersion breaker. I am not expecting video games to be perfect simulations of real life, but every time I think about reloading a gun I have to remind myself that unless it's completly empty a part of my precious ammo is going to evaporate into thin air for no reason. This is especially glaring because the game is otherwise very logical in all other aspects- take a knife for example, when you throw it will either end up on the ground ready to picked up again or it can be looted for the creature you hit it with.

Now, before anyone say the protagonist simply drops the magazine on the ground and that's why we don't get it back, that's a weak explanation. I would accept that if it was actually the case, that is reloading would leave a partially spent mag on the ground that can be picked up again, but it's not like that. It simply vanishes.

Second, it forces the player to either run around with a partially empty weapon or reload it and waste ammo in the process. I'm all for difficulty and limiting resources, but achieving it with nonsensical mechanics leads to frustration at best.

It really makes the game a lot less enjoyable. I wanted to suggest making magazines work like gasoline tanks. Each tank holds multiple units of fuel and they can be combined together to make a full tank again, this is completly analogous to how magazines are supposed to work. Allow us to retain partially spent mags and combine them together in the inventory to make a full one again, simple as that. The mechanic is already in place so I don't think it would be that hard to implement.

As for reloading, it would be best if we could reload with partially spent mags (that is, when you hit the reload button, the game will use the least-empty mag from your inventory), but if that would take to much work to implement, just make it so only full mags can be used.

I don't care all that much about details, again I don't want it to be as realistic as possible, but a precious resource disappearing into thin air for no reason in a survival horror game where resource managment is a big deal is a bit too much if you ask me.
Tygrende

Re: Firearm magazines

Postby Striker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes i agree and also a texted number in the clip of remaining bullets in the magazine would be great too.I know with fuel/gas you can combine them,so perhaps can we do this for bullets?
Striker

Return to Suggestions