Critically injured = Blood trail

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
Psychic Null

Critically injured = Blood trail

Post by Psychic Null » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:55 pm

Perhaps if you are at really low health there can be some sort of effect.

An idea could be that you leave a trail of blood (easily implementable because of the gas pouring mechanic) that spills from you every couple of moments as you move.
This could attract (certain) monsters if they are close by with the scent of blood.

Perhaps some item like a rag or cloth could stop the blood trail effect without any boost to your health.

Other ideas could be the classic slow down movement, or maybe if you toggle running there is a chance you may leave a trail of blood as you run (blood pumping from exertion, wounds opening further).

droog
VIP

Re: Critically injured = Blood trail

Post by droog » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Actually there is already a blood effect, when your character has low health.
You can see the blood trail @0:56 in the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kZvUFRaOLc
I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.
-H.P. Lovecraft

Psychic Null

Post by Psychic Null » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:01 pm

You're right! I didn't notice that.
I wonder if it's just aesthetic or if will have an effect on the game?

I Guess, we'll find out.

droog
VIP

Post by droog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 am

I hope that it will find a way in the finished game. Pretty cool detail, which could also have effect on the gameplay (maybe monster will follow the trail?).
I never ask a man what his business is, for it never interests me. What I ask him about are his thoughts and dreams.
-H.P. Lovecraft

DoubleSunPower

Post by DoubleSunPower » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 am

It would be interesting to have that creepy feeling that something could be following you due to your blood loss. It could also add the possibility of using your blood to lure monsters into traps, turning a bad situation into a (perhaps) useful one? THAT would be cool.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Yup, bleeding is in the game (as droog pointed out) and definately has an effect on the game. Adding a mechanic for monsters to follow the trail would be cool, but it would also make the game pretty much impossibly difficult to play ;)

Khajor

Post by Khajor » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 am

Gustaw wrote:....it would also make the game pretty much impossibly difficult to play ;)
Impossibly difficult would suck, but I am totally on board with insanely difficult, especially as an additional game mode. Probably too much to ask for for the initial launch, but if Darkwood works I'd love to see an insanely difficult mode where monsters follow blood trails.