Correct Wording?

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
cuddles
Supporter

Correct Wording?

Post by cuddles » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:21 pm

After showing the wolf a dog tag, he says something like:
"I'll give you an advice, almost for free...."

Should it be:
"I'll give you some advice..."
or
"I'll give you a tip...." etc.

"an advice" doesn't seem right there.

While talking with the wolf, he refers to the character as "meat". Sometimes it is capitalized "Meat" most of the times I saw it was not capitalized. I think it should be because it is a name.

Gyrosser

Re: Correct Wording?

Post by Gyrosser » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Yeah there are a few grammatical errors I've noticed, small things like that. I'm sure having someone who's first language is English play through and they could point them all out, as the mistakes are not unintelligible text but simply not quite right.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:48 am

Thanks Cuddles, if you've got anything more, keep it coming ;)

cuddles
Supporter

Post by cuddles » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 pm

It would be easier if you just sent me the script. ;)

I might boot it up tonight and nit pick some more :)

Gyrosser

Post by Gyrosser » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm going to assume this thread to be the go to place for these sorts of grammatical errors, i noticed one when starting a new game:

Wolf when looking at the Battery: "Now go, run to that lunatic, maybe he will wave you from the skies."
it should be "wave to you from the skies." or "wave at you".

Undeadenemy

Post by Undeadenemy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:36 am

I saw a few of these myself, mainly the ones pointed out in the OP. I do think I ought to mention though, that since this is set in a Soviet Bloc area, some of these should be left as is. I think most of them add flavor to the text. While some of the ones that are confusing should probably change, I think some of the peculiarities of direct translation should stay. Kind of like writing in the vernacular.

Gyrosser

Post by Gyrosser » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 pm

ahh, I see what you mean but I gotta disagree. Though i wouldn't complain if they went that route. To me, if the Protagonist is in the Russian bloc as a Russian, we are all speaking Russian. And the text is translating that perfect Russian to perfect English. Which means no grammatical/word choice errors. If protagonist is non-Russian than your route makes more sense.

My example would be that when you watch a subbed movie like "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" the perfect Chinese is translated to perfect English, they don't break it up in such a way that implies Chinese are trying to speak English and do so imperfectly, and here I don't think it should be Russians trying to speak English, it should be simply translated Russian.

If any of that made sense.
Like I said, wouldn't complain either way but for the sake of consistency pick a method. All broken English or all Perfect English, barring particular NPC's with whatever ailments/impediments/mutations that could affect speech.

Skruff

Post by Skruff » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 pm

Not exactly a grammar issue, but I think the text could be clearer when attempting to disarm/salvage a bear trap.

Currently, it just says the message "Failed...", but the trap IS disarmed (which is actually what your mouseover prompt asks you if you want to do). Maybe simply changing it to "Salvage Failed...".