Special locations to discover

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Special locations to discover

Postby sad » Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm

What totally blew me away in Fallout three was the discovery of the small UFO. I think it might be an interesting addition to Darkwood to have one or two somewhere in the woods. One of the unknown dangers could be a injured alien from outer space and the player can help it to survive, heal and finally flee with the ship the player helped to repair.
It could be a very difficult task because a certain smell of the alien creature will lure forth lots of predating animals who seek to eat it. The alien needs to be fed and needs bandages, water, whatever, until it can lead the player to another ship or excavating site of another group of that alien species but they are all dead. Of course the journey from shipA to ship B takes two days and there's little shelter to rest and to hide from dangers.It is some kind of a challenge mission that is hard to finish successfully. Perhaps the ship is then ready to go, it leaves and it finally crashes down again, some hundred meters away. Should the player decide to search for the remains of the ship and he finds it, the alien would be dead and the debris won't give any interesting loot.
That's an awkward outcome but it might raise tension and give a dark feeling of being lost. Perhaps the ship crashed in an old bunker complex where the player finds shelter and then that part is finished. The game can move on.
Accessibility has nothing to do with dumbing down.
sad

Re: Special locations to discover

Postby Sunday » Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 pm

A game which did a good job on interactive locations was The Secret World.

There were very few Quest Givers in any given location, most had to be found by observant players.

Checking the ground for suspicious tracks drifting away from a bloodied carcass.

Finding crudely drawn Maps which carried visual clues to look out for on your travels.

Seeing obscure Graffiti which pointed you in a general direction to loot or an objective.

While I feel each location should tell it's own story or leave hints as to what had happened, it should also be relevant that these locations lead you to certain paths. Whether that ends with death or rewards is unknown.
What's even more difficult is trying to fit something like what I mentioned into an entirely randomized mapping system. But if it's pulled off, it makes the world itself a better character to interact with.
Sunday

Postby ScaryNed » Wed May 22, 2013 3:04 am

That's not that bad of an idea. the alien specific thing is a little out of place for the dark wood (maybe, i don't know, this game is shrouded in mystery as it is) but that particular system of how a mission would work gave me an idea, one that would fit this game type superbly. you might discover a polite survivor, who had cut his leg, and needs your help to get him back home. If the player decides to help him, the player can drag/carry the person to the objective, 50/100 meters away, and set him down. then the person suddenly stands up straight and just stairs at you. before the player could figure out what is going on, other people start coming out of hiding. The player, tricked as he or she appears to be, is completely surrounded. by the end, this would strengthen the players fear of any interaction with other figures in the game, which is great, and would also make him think twice before helping someone when they need it the most, making tough, heart breaking decisions for the road ahead.
Also...
THERE'S A HIDDEN UFO IN FALLOUT 3 !?!? :shock:
ScaryNed

Postby sad » Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 am

Well, I found it somewhere but I can't remember where it was. I also believe that somewhere is a note about a UFO sighting. I'm not sure it does exist, maybe Im imagining the note but the ship was there. It's where the Spaceship DLC starts. And the UFO is there even without the dlc.
Accessibility has nothing to do with dumbing down.
sad

Postby Zandra » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 am

I used Joystick Mapper for Mac, and I can confirm that Darkwood is awesome with a controller. I have the left stick for wasd and right stick for mouse. The only thing that's missing is a way to cycle through the hotbar/F-key skills. So far I have the first 3 hotbar items as up/left/down d-pad buttons (using right for inventory). I guess being limited to 3 helps increase the difficulty after the recent update. Still there's definitely something about the inefficiency of controllers that adds tension to survival horror.
Unlock the key of your success by Braindumps Southern California University of Health Sciences[/url].By using our latest CHECKPOINT and Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich study material, you can easily pass Youtube exam.
Zandra

Return to Suggestions