[ Additonal recipe / carry / item / skill / misc ideas ]

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

[ Additonal recipe / carry / item / skill / misc ideas ]

Postby ReconUnit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:04 am

I've enjoyed the game so far but wanted to put up some ideas to further enhance the inventory and crafting options.

[Carry / Inventory]

The player should be able to find or craft certain carry/backpack types to allow better inventory management. Though the drawback depending on the size and type of it should reduce his overall sprint speed and stamina, and wearing equipping more will further stack the penalties. Also to gain it's benefits it needs to be put in the hotbar slots. (larger types could require more than one hotbar slot to be used)

Different carry types could also vary in use, one being a crude crafted bandolier would hold two ammo types with better max capacity each. A weapon holster would allow better draw time for handgun types and also while in sprint. Backpacks could hold additional slots for small item types, but you gain a penalty of losing half or more of those contents stored in it when you are killed. Another idea is with a bit of wire, junk and a flashlight, you could make a headlamp that would fit over your hat to enable you to use another weapon/item without having it equipped, the drawback could be that random melee attacks might cause the light to fall off or be destroyed completely.

[Crafting]

As the player can completely make a new door from scratch if it was destroyed, I figure he has some minor craftsmanship, an idea would be to have some decayed or damaged shelf or storage types in the hideout that the player can repair with a good supply of wood and nails. But having them fixed into the wall, to avoid exploit.
The crafted lamps could also be set down and the option to relight them using matchsticks, but not as effective as the electrical versions.

Recipe wise, the player could learn something to craft with using mushrooms and a bottle to make a throwable hallucinogen which could cause the affected enemy to attack another of the same type for a short time. Perhaps crafting it further to make a trap to use during the night.

Another small early crafting idea is using a 1 wood and 1 rag to make a small marker to help show where a player has been or if trying to navigate the randomized generated locations. But they won't show up on the map.

A better tier of trap would be a recipe to create a firebomb, essentially requiring a gas can (0.6 or more in it), wire, junk, and matchstick or flare. It would have two modes, the basic being set down and acting like a landmine when disturbed (allowing further use of meat bait), the second would place it on the ground and you move around to determine where the tripwire is setup. The size and duration of the fire explosion depends on how much excess gasoline was in it.

[New Vendor]

After going through yet another replay cause of Wolfman vanishing yet again. A fixed Vendor NPC would be recommended as fail-safe, however he'd only be located deep in the outskirts of the map, one idea would be this cave hermit who'd only accept mushrooms for reputation and only selling 4 items, however he'd be unique in that his items are completely random each day you visit him. Giving you the chance to obtain the less common things from a red chicken egg to the unobtainable sub-machinegun. However should offer no quests, as I suspect it's cause of quest based scripting that causes some NPC's to vanish for no reason.

[Weapons]

I'm not entirely sure as to what is planned for firearms in terms of prefix types. As the current one for melee is still bugged (prefix altered once it's dropped and picked up) I figure perhaps either unique firearm types. One example would be a scoped bolt-action rifle (faster steady aiming) found some where around the hunter house.

But I guess I could suggest my own prefix layout for them if you want to see.

[Skill / Perks]

Ideas for further skill tiers would be for:

Tier 5

+ an akimbo perk to combine two pistols.
+ power drain for flashlight items is reduced or be able to use another weapon with it active
+ faster equip/item swap in hotbar.

- higher chance of bleeding from melee
- healing times reduced
- overall walk/sprint speed is slower when below 50% health

Tier 6

+ [eye of the scavenger] (skill 2) Highlights loot on-screen and possible dangers such as bear traps for a short time (handy when trying to find stuff deeper in the woods/dark areas)
+ armor durability is better.
+ slightly better sight in the night

- melee damage has a chance to cripple your speed for a short time.
- looting/crafting takes significantly longer
- raw mushrooms now poison you rather than heal if consumed.

In addition to tier 6 a special negative bonus could be applied.
- [hunted] during some days, you'll be attacked by a crazed villager with a firearm. (Something much better than a damn nailed plank)

[ Other ideas ]

Not sure if this will be fixed in v2.0 but the player should be able to find a empty barrel in which he can drag back to the hideout and either have it lock in place in the generator shed or in a corner of the main room. After which using some pieces of junk and other items, convert it into a mass storage of gasoline. Doing so will allow the player better storage of up to 6 gasoline cans rather than using precious storage slot space. It acts like a generator, filling gas into it. But when used, it shows the player using a small pump lever a few times and then a completely full gas can is spawned. Thus allowing either 2 molotovs to be crafted since most random looted gasoline have varied levels and you cannot top up one can with another.

I hope these are useful to consider, if so I'll try and suggest further helpful ideas.
ReconUnit

Re: [ Additonal recipe / carry / item / skill / misc ideas ]

Postby ReconUnit » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 pm

Figured I'd check back with this, anything useful you guys see in it ?
ReconUnit

Postby Gustaw » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:57 am

Sorry, must have missed this post back when you first started it. Cool stuff, I like the perk ideas and crafting of storage space! Although I think we need to overhaul some of the things in Darkwood like the nights, and then see how we need to balance the survival and horror elements, and so they do not empower the player too much.
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby ReconUnit » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 am

Gustaw wrote:Sorry, must have missed this post back when you first started it. Cool stuff, I like the perk ideas and crafting of storage space! Although I think we need to overhaul some of the things in Darkwood like the nights, and then see how we need to balance the survival and horror elements, and so they do not empower the player too much.

Thanks, if you'd like me to add additional ideas and suggestions to certain parts, I'll gladly update more with this if it's helpful. Great game so far too.
ReconUnit

Return to Suggestions