A few ideas here

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

A few ideas here

Postby Muttley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:00 pm

Loving the game btw, it has huge potential.

1) Skill books : Some scattered skill books that cover all the aspects of surviving in the Darkwood.

ie) Advanced Combat tactics - Teaches you how to perform a Three stage attack with an Axe

- Advanced Hunting guide - Teaches you how to make a Hunting Bow and Arrows out of Timber, Rope etc.

2) Swing Radius overlay - A simple opaque overlay to define the hit radius of different melee weapons. - or your Cursor color will grey-out when you target out of range (less intrusive).

3) Way to cancel Barricading. (moving should cancel the operation)

4)Darkwells - Darkwells can spawn randomly around the world, which are enterable underground dungeons filled with vile creatures who have corrupted the well. Those who dare enter might find good items. (max risk/max reward)

5) Rep Bonus - Once you reach 1,000 reputation with a vendor they reward you with a special item of your choosing (possibly pick one out of three items) and or a small discount. - or they now like you enough to tell you a story that might hint at their past. (Gossip)

6) The ability to Refill Lanterns.

7) Swing trap - Put those extra Planks, Nails and Rope to good use by crafting a Swing trap that goes over a doorway to release a devastating flung Plank with nails at them.

8) Shady NPC'S - Spawns different unique individuals around the world. Some may be just trying to survive, some willing to help you, other's might want to trick or kill you!

9) Additional Storage - An item able to upgrade slots in existing house storage. - Buildable storage could be exploited unless it's purely cosmetic and has no collisions.

10) Dynamic Power Usage - Save on Generator fuel consumption by turning off lights.

11) Item Respawns - Stop items from respawning upon death and instead have items like mushrooms respawn every 10 days. - Needed because mushrooms are too abundant (store them and die to get infinite supply atm) Much like certain crates. Definitely needs a nerf.

12) Savage Camps - Savage camps can be found in remote locations (typically on the outskirts) in heavily forested places, where one who is looking for trouble will find it.

13) Difficulty scaling system - A selection of Normal and Hardcore option added at game start. Hardcore mode you will see chompers in Meadow and more enemies across all biomes.

14) World Generation - Option added to define small or large/very large world size.

Let me know what you guys think ?
Last edited by Muttley on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
Muttley

Re: A few ideas here

Postby Waismuth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Sounds pretty neat. I like the crossbows thing. It would counter the chompers, who react to loud gun shots.
Waismuth

Postby Need » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:11 pm

I support Darkwells

To enter them you would have to repair them with rope.
Inside there could be realy crazy areas.Maybe it could be something like sub-biome.Mazes where you cant use map.Claustrophobic places are best thing in darkwood.
sorry
Need

Postby The Doctor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:25 am

Muttley wrote:1) Skill books : Some scattered skill books that cover all the aspects of surviving in the Darkwood.

ie) Advanced Combat tactics - Teaches you how to perform a Three stage attack with an Axe

Might be a bit too rpg/arcade-like for a game like darkwood but i guess that really depends on the developers. Personally I like the combat system how it is now and think it is really well balanced. A three-stage attack might be a bit too OP

- Advanced Hunting guide - Teaches you how to make a Hunting Bow and Arrows out of Timber, Rope etc.

This could probably just be a recipe. I do however think a makeshift bow and arrows should be able to be made early on in the game, with a 50/50 chance that they are retrievable.

2) Swing Radius overlay - A simple opaque overlay to define the hit radius of different melee weapons.

Not really needed and might break immersion. You get used to weapon swing pretty quickly.

3) Way to cancel Barricading. (moving should cancel the operation)

Definitely agree. Should operate like the cancellation of anything else in Darkwood (opening chests, setting traps, etc)

4)Darkwells - Darkwells can spawn randomly around the world, which are enterable underground dungeons filled with vile creatures who have corrupted the well. Those who dare enter might find good items. (max risk/max reward)

Possibly a good idea, depending on Darkwood story/lore. Would have to be implemented carefully for it to work. Maybe in a future chapter?

5) Rep Bonus - Once you reach 1,000 reputation with a vendor they reward you with a special item of your choosing (possibly pick one out of three items) and or a small discount.

Not really necessary.

6) The ability to Refill Lanterns.

Definitely agree.

7) Swing trap - Put those extra Planks, Nails and Rope to good use by crafting a Swing trap that goes over a doorway to release a devastating flung Plank with nails at them.

Good idea, could even have rabbit snares to trap enemies or trip wires that set off petrol bombs. I think there will be more traps and a more detailed crafting system, as the alpha trailer has certain elements and ideas that I haven't seen implemented yet into the game.

8) Shady NPC'S - Spawns different unique individuals around the world. Some may be just trying to survive, some willing to help you, other's might want to trick or kill you!

Could work. Random NPCs that don't really have a bearing on the story. Again, would have to work with the Darkwood story.

9) Additional Storage - An item able to upgrade slots in existing house storage.

Instead of upgradable storage you should be able to build cabinets and shelves with planks and nails. The devs also wouldn't have to increase storage of existing storage units like they already have and would add more of a scarcity/commodity feel to planks and nails.

10) Dynamic Power Usage - Save on Generator fuel consumption by turning off lights.

Agree, makes sense. I'm sure this is planned might just be hard to code.

11) Item Respawns - Stop items from respawning upon death and instead have items like mushrooms respawn every 10 days.

May have a use, but as things are now you don't really needs mushrooms after about two weeks into the game. I get fully leveled up shortly after entering the "forest" zone.

12) Savage Camps - Savage camps can be found in remote locations (typically on the outskirts) in heavily forested places, where one who is looking for trouble will find it.

Kinda just seems like another random location to add to the list.

13) Difficulty scaling system - A selection of Normal and Hardcore option added at game start. Hardcore mode you will see chompers in Meadow and more enemies across all biomes.

Potentially. Not really for or against this. I do believe Darkwood should fundamentally be a "difficult" game rather than having a hard/easy mode.

14) World Generation - Option added to define small or large/very large world size.

Similar to previous idea. Not really for or against. Maybe have "normal" mode like the game is now and "Bad Dream" mode that combines higher difficulty and larger map, but more loot, and other stuff?
The Doctor

Postby Muttley » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks for the input. Added some additional options/information.
Muttley

Postby The Doctor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:10 pm

Muttley wrote:5) Rep Bonus - Once you reach 1,000 reputation with a vendor they reward you with a special item of your choosing (possibly pick one out of three items) and or a small discount. - or they now like you enough to tell you a story that might hint at their past. (Gossip)

I'm all for hints and riddles about the past of Darkwood's characters, as long as its subtle and doesn't give away too much. One of Darkwood's best features is the way it allows the player to make connections between in-game items and the history and lore of Darkwood itself. It happens so gradually and is so subtle, with just enough of the unknown element for suspense. For example, how close the doctor came to finding the underground entrance.

9) Additional Storage - An item able to upgrade slots in existing house storage. - Buildable storage could be exploited unless it's purely cosmetic and has no collisions.

That's actually a good point. If you could build storage you would just spam your hideout with them until no enemies could get in. I guess you would have to either:
- Only be able to upgrade pre-existing storage as you say
- Make storage destructible
- Make enemies that could teleport past storage units, or crawl under it
The Doctor

Postby Muttley » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:50 pm

The Doctor wrote:- Make storage destructible
- Make enemies that could teleport past storage units, or crawl under it

I hope these two don't happen lol. Well that is to say, if something does crawl under my wardrobe it had better be pretty damn small. Maybe an apparition could float through it.
Muttley

Return to Suggestions