Death system HUGE CHANGES

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Death system HUGE CHANGES

Postby Need » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:36 pm

(this is third attempt to do this.Previous two were eaten by this damn thing.previous 2 were long yet this one is going to be small and straight forward)

Right now death is merely punishment for player for dying since only thing you lose is level,dosage,day and durability.
It doesnt add anything to the game.

here is my suggestion thats little bit truer to the original idea of experimental permadeath mentioned in the indie gogo camping :
When you die your game world is being deleted and replaced with one freshly generated.Items in your inventory dont lose durabilty and you dont lose dosage and level yet you lose story proggress and everything you had in containers is lost forever.Found locations...Liberated hideouts...just everything is lost and you start in new fresh and unknown world.

how this affects player :
-the longer player plays the more he is afraid of death
-death can be used as story telling mechanic *
-player grows stronger the longer he plays but finishing game is much harder
-player is encouraged to spend all his resources
-hoarding is inefficient
-dying has fatal consequences
-encourages preparedness

*this death system is mainly focused on story telling since getting yourself killed restarts whole world wich means killed NPCs will be resurected.
For example :
There is NPC character that has information you need to progress but he doesnt want you to know.you kill him and then you find out you cant progress in the story since you killed important character.You get out at night and have brawl with monsters of the woods to atleast die like badass.Whole story is restarted and after completing it again you find yourself standing in front of NPC you killed your last life but this time he knows what you can do and he pleads you for mercy and then he tells you imformation you needed.
sorry
Need

Re: Death system HUGE CHANGES

Postby Gustaw » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm afraid that would suck big time for people that don't want to replay the story again. Also, beginning a new game when you're buffed up with better items and skills (and knowledge) would be pretty boring.

We're prototyping new death mechanics right now, where you don't lose your skills and items in inventory... But other things do happen ;)
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Need » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:16 am

Atleast something is being done.

Will it include any new game mechanic?
sorry
Need

Postby Rednecklawrence » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Not sure i like the new world idea... Interesting but I cant say id like it
"It ain't illegal until you get caught" - Rene Soetaert