Resolution and view region

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Resolution and view region

Postby tonebacas » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Hello everybody. I already posted this on the discussion board on the Steam Community for Darkwood, but people there didn't seem to have any interest addressing the topic, so I'll hopefully get a little something going on here in the forum.

You can go to the original post here:
Code: Select all
http://steamcommunity.com/app/274520/discussions/0/620696934046834070

What I'd like to discuss here is the correlation between the screen resolution you set in the options menu and the region of view you have in the game (i.e., how much of the world around you you can see).

To clarify, if you set a low resolution you see a really small region of the world, whilst if you set a high resolution you see a bigger region. And this feels odd considering that the game wants to submit the players to a set of adversities.
If you give the player that much power over this particular mechanic it kinda defeats the purpose.

That's why I suggest that the Wizards implement a different rendering system, one which would make all the players see the same world region, no matter which rendering resolution they set. This wouldn't be easy simple because you also have to consider aspect ratio; not everyone uses the same. This would mean that the Wizards would have to choose between making players with, for example, 4:3 ratio see less, using letter-boxing to emulate the 16:9 ratio.

This next bit is taken from the original topic in the Steam Community board.

On a side note, I wanted to suggest a way to handle windowing/rendering kinda like how Middle Earth : Shadow of Mordor did it which works a little bit like this:

-The main window is created to fit the native resolution of the screen (i.e. if you have a 1920x1080 capable monitor/graphics card combo, that's how big the window is gonna be), but the visuals are rendered in different buffers depending on their importance.

-3D graphics (world, characters, etc.) are rendered to a buffer, which size you can set in the options -- internal resolution -- and then this buffer is rendered to the main window buffer. if the two buffers have different sizes, the 3D graphics buffer will have to be scaled (interpolation) to fit the main window buffer. This has very little impact in performance since you're just rendering an image (3D graphics buffer) to the main window buffer. In 3D games, this means you can also chose resolutions higher than your display resolution to achieve super-sampling (see Dark Souls Fix by Durante).

-UI elements such as health bars, mini-map, Text (subtitles, menus, etc.) are rendered to the same buffer as the main window which fits the screen. This makes all the GUI very defined and crisp because their pixel information isn't being interpolated. This means you can set the internal resolution to very low values and still be able to read the text on screen.

In Unity3D this effect can be achieved using Render Targets.

Darkwood is a 2D game so some of the stuff i just described wouldn't even fit the game (why have super-sampling? those are only useful for 3D games where aliasing is a problem)

Please, let's discuss this. I really feel it's something that should be addressed because it gives the player too much power over something that affects gameplay immensely.
tonebacas

Re: Resolution and view region

Postby Need » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:06 pm

I like this but please could you move it to the suggestion thread?

You are right...thats for sure!
sorry
Need

Postby tonebacas » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Need wrote:I like this but please could you move it to the suggestion thread?

how would i even move it? you mean just copy this topic to the suggestions and delete this one?
tonebacas

Postby Gustaw » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:31 pm

Moved it for you.

As for the view region... Yes, I agree, it ideally should be the same on all resolutions, but there are some technical difficulties in doing that at the moment. Will do research on this matter in the future!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Need » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:19 am

tonebacas wrote:
Need wrote:I like this but please could you move it to the suggestion thread?

how would i even move it? you mean just copy this topic to the suggestions and delete this one?

I spent ten minutes looking for answer :D .Well i guess i wanted you to do something that is imposible.
sorry
Need

Return to Suggestions