Shadows

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Shadows

Postby Canyoncl » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Okay I love Darkwood!!! I bought during the steam sale and I LOVE this game, it is fun and hard. But here is a problem in the new alpha 3 (I have never played alpha 1 or 2) there are shadows I am sure everyone knows. I think someone said the shadows just kill you. (I don't know I always have full generator). If this is true then this is a HORRIBLE design choice. Every monster needs to be different. To have something special about them. The shadows only special thing is that they can be warded off with light. A positive special is not good for a game like darkwood. Some people feel the shadows killing you are simply a MINOR annoyance not a major, I feel the shadows could be so much more so here is my suggestion.

The shadows have a couple of stages of frequency. With different stages lasting longer/shorter in different areas.

1: This is where you start hearing the whispers, Your FOV is narrowed slightly (Everything inside the FOV is brightened, only slightly) as you try to focus on what is making the noise. The noise only stops after the light is turned on. SO this stage "lasts"

2: You start seeing the shadows, this freaks your character out and he loses stamina faster or another small non beneficial thing.

3: You can see the shadows as lightly as if it was day you see them open doors move lights attack barricades. they mess up your home defenses, And the noise attracts monsters.

4: They start attacking YOU, no not with damage. But with durability they hit and suddenly you see some of your gas spill on the ground, they try to take items, Players WILL start putting items in wardrobes to try to combat this so you can also make the shadows look in the wardrobe and grab things, maybe they grab your gasoline can and try to burn you with it. Maybe they grab your spare shotgun (Your in trouble now.)

Hideout differences with shadows:
1: I think the whispers should sound happier (In darkwood terms) almost like children laughing, because the shadows in the meadow are happier. So they spend more time in stage 1, and only go to bigger stages if you turn on a match to taunt them (They hate light, but matches are not bright enough to dissipate them.)

2: In the forest the shadows should be more of the classical shadow, (With changes mentioned) They should have equal time in all the stages and their whispers should be the same as the whispers we currently have. Again lighting a match or attempting to light a fire (Pouring gasoline on the ground) should make them angrier. When in the KILL YOU phase they should use more melee weapons, or just move stuff.

3: In the old woods the shadows should be ancient, true poltergiests, as SOON as the lights go out you should be able to see the shadows (Stage 1 lasts a fraction of a second), The shadows here are dangerous they hate you they should in addition to being able to grab your spare axe and bash you in the head with it ( :D ) but hit you yourself and you stumble around, not doing much damage mind you but keeping you dizzy and confused.

Instead of making them kill you the normal way make them kill you with finesse by making monsters more aware of you and taking your own items, Also you should be able to hit a shadow with something and make it dissapear for a time, light works best.

Now devs I understand this is just the 3rd alpha state so I don't expect all this (If you choose to listen to a couple of my ideas.) to be in the game perfect as soon as you possibly can. If you decide to do this add in a couple things at a time and get player feedback. I love darkwood and wan't the shadows to be a threat. Not just an unkillable savage.

Edit: I just added a few more thoughts and tried to clarify some stuff.
Last edited by Canyoncl on Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Give a man a fish he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to fish he is fed for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Set a man on fire he is warm for the rest of his life.
Canyoncl

Re: Shadows

Postby Need » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:20 pm

I think making them appear in every dark area not just during night would be better.

also they shouldnt just "suck" your health.I think making them attack you from every direction making you stumble and see bloody marks would be better.also make them attract other enemies.

just give them power!
sorry
Need

Postby Canyoncl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:30 am

They SHOULD appear in every dark area. Makes flashlights more important.
Canyoncl

Postby Gustaw » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Yes, we agree that the current implementation of shadows is bad, and needs to be worked on. We're not sure what direction we want to go with them yet though.
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Canyoncl » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Gustaw wrote:Yes, we agree that the current implementation of shadows is bad, and needs to be worked on. We're not sure what direction we want to go with them yet though.

As long as they are unique and a threat! I trust you guys, darkwood is awesome so far.
Canyoncl

Postby 56er » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Gustaw wrote:Yes, we agree that the current implementation of shadows is bad, and needs to be worked on. We're not sure what direction we want to go with them yet though.

I'm sure you will work something out, but then, can you please take them out for as they are broken right now.
56er

Return to Suggestions