A question on the grammar of in-game text (Directed at Devs)

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

A question on the grammar of in-game text (Directed at Devs)

Postby TheBigcheese42 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:44 am

After starting to play Darkwood again, I've realised that some of the 'dialogue' and journal entries in-game are worded sub-optimally. I don't know whether this is intentional or simply a result of not having English as a first language. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing broken about the writing in-game, I just feel it could potentially be worded slightly better.

This is something of little importance, but I feel like it could be easily improved, resulting in the game-world become a much more engrossing experience. I'd happily volunteer to take a hand at re-writing some of the in-game text, just to see if there would be any improvement.

Hopefully none of this is taken as an offense, as the writing is of an easily acceptable standard. As a sucker for fine literature I just see a lot of missed potential, and since Darkwood strides on its gritty atmosphere, a bit of extra literary faff wouldn't go amiss.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Re: A question on the grammar of in-game text (Directed at D

Postby Gustaw » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:31 am

Thanks! We definitely need help with the grammar ;) All of the texts need to be rewritten IMO, but that will need to wait until we're happy with the main mechanics and content overall.
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: A question on the grammar of in-game text (Directed at D

Postby TheBigcheese42 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:41 am

Yes of course, the mechanics of Darkwood must take sole focus for the time being. I'm just offering my services as a human spell checker and creative writing engine :P

If you'd like me to just write some sample dialogue, or feel that you want any of the in-game text looked at, give me a message. I have far too much time on my hands ;)
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Return to Suggestions