Alpha 4

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Alpha 4

Postby Canyoncl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:56 am

Alpha 4 is way too amazing, I logged in and was like WHAT darkwood update! And then I played it, and I was more scared in 3 nights than I ever have been in darkwood, if you keep going at this rate I will be desensitized to everything scary by act 2 or 3. Because of this I suggest making darkwood more scary and being awesome. (Pretty much, keep doin what you are doing.) Also my friend wants possibly protective boots to protect against the poisonous mushrooms. The shadows are amazing now. (I told my friend I gave a couple suggestions to you guys and he called me an idiot for trying to make the game scarier, shows you how much scarier the shadows are due to the new changes, keep up the great work.) The only thing I dislike is I find it unfair how the shadows can turn off the lights, it is terrifying and amazing and completely necessary (IE don't take it out). But it should not happen within the first 3 nights AND there should be more ways to combat it.
Give a man a fish he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to fish he is fed for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Set a man on fire he is warm for the rest of his life.
Canyoncl

Re: Alpha 4

Postby Gustaw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:59 am

Awesome, thanks! :D

hint: you can use the flashlight to fend the shadows off!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby tomtentp » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Canyoncl wrote:... Also my friend wants possibly protective boots to protect against the poisonous mushrooms. ...

Hey Canyoncl I agree 100% with everything you said except this part.

I think the poisonous mushrooms are there to force the player to move more cautiously in the woods and prevent you from rushing blindly with your shotgun like a bearded version of Rambo!

If the poison mushies can be cicumvented by some item then I think you should add that in a later stage like act 2 and at this stage there should be other things that you need to avoid which will take the mushies place to serve the same purpose.

Just my opinion! ;)
tomtentp

Postby Canyoncl » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:16 pm

tomtentp wrote:
Canyoncl wrote:... Also my friend wants possibly protective boots to protect against the poisonous mushrooms. ...

Hey Canyoncl I agree 100% with everything you said except this part.

I think the poisonous mushrooms are there to force the player to move more cautiously in the woods and prevent you from rushing blindly with your shotgun like a bearded version of Rambo!

If the poison mushies can be cicumvented by some item then I think you should add that in a later stage like act 2 and at this stage there should be other things that you need to avoid which will take the mushies place to serve the same purpose.

Just my opinion! ;)

That makes sense, I did not say it had to be an easy OR cheap item...

Gustaw wrote:Awesome, thanks! :D /quote]

I really enjoy darkwood! And you have outdone yourselves with this update!

Gustaw wrote: hint: you can use the flashlight to fend the shadows off!

About the shadows Me and my friend figured that out, the lights turned out and he was about to die and he accidentally activated a flare. I use flashlight because its easier on me. But I do have two concerns (After playing it some more.) One: Some nights I feel there is no event, nothing special. Now this is okay (Not every night needs to be terrifying and awesome.) But when I got to the forest (Night 4). Nothing really happened for 5 or 6 nights. Which is a problem cause it felt more boring than the meadow. (Which should NOT be the case.)

#2 I reached the end of the game and died during the doctor dream segment (With all the chompers chasing you.) I woke up in the train but everything from the dream was still there and I could not get out. And then I reloaded and was greeted with the eternal dark abyss. And glitches that prevent you from winning the game are NOT ones you can ignore so I think you guys should look into that.
Canyoncl

Postby Gustaw » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Could you please post your log file (or send it at help@acidwizardstudio)? Instructions here. DO NOT start Darkwood again before doing so!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Canyoncl » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:31 am

Windows 8, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 745, 8054 mb

Post title : When I reached the train dream segment towards the end of the game, when all the chompers came out and attacked, I died and when I woke up when it is supposed to say "You told the doctor the location to the underground entrance) I was greeted with my character still in the dream segment with no dialogue and no escape, when I talked to "Me" at the end of the train all I was greeted with was the picture of the doctor with no text. When I reloaded my character woke up in an infinite dark plane.

Alpha version: (4.0)

Bug description, with steps to reproduce: The only thing I can think of is I died when I was running from the chompers in the final dream segment. (Right after the first fence.
Canyoncl

Postby Gustaw » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 am

That's a lovely bug report but I meant the LOG FILE! ;) (output_log.txt)
If you didn't have anything happening during 5-6 nights, it must be a bug, but I need that file to see what happened.
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Canyoncl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:06 am

Sorry, I wrote that bug report at 4 in the morning, I honestly thought I put the TXT file with it. I will find it again and send that to you guys tommorow probably. Also I have beaten the game again and ran into the same bug. But this time instead of the chompers eating me I escaped the dream segment. Another factor I forgot to mention is when I was sent back into the end of the "Dream train" I got the Found location message that listed the location as dream_doctor.something, something like that (Did not write it down). So I assume the bug is caused by the function that ends the end dream segment. Just my thoughts.

Here are a couple of final thoughts on the changes made in alpha 4 (As I have beaten it twice now, even though both times a bug caused my game to glitch out on the final train segment. I still count myself as winning.)

The new nights: AMAZING. Do not change, make more variety. This is honestly a great change!

Banshees: Don't know I have never seen one.

The new enemy: I assume the new enemy is the unarmed savage, I feel this is a good change in the game and is pretty awesome.

Chompers: It seems the chompers dodge now and have longer range, I hate this change, back in alpha 3 I could kill chompers with some work and planning. But now it seems the chompers can jump halfway across the screen bite me, I attack and they dodge and I cannot do anything about it, I have gone from being able to kill chompers semi effectively to frustratingly losing every single battle. Now a challenge is good, but this is simply frustrating, the only way I can win is A: use a gun, or B: Be very lucky, Or C: Run around a trees stump so the chomper cannot get me. I hate this idea, at least have the red chompers do it less often and the black chompers do it more.

New area decor: I really like all the interior decor that has been added, the added lights around the walls of the buildings are nice.
Canyoncl

Postby Canyoncl » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 pm

Well it appears I lost the file, but luckily the exact same train glitch happened to me the other day a second time, so I DO have a log file. So here it is: Sadly apparently it is too large for the text website to submit so there are 4 parts in order.

The funny thing is most of it is the exact same line. Hopefully it has what your are looking for.

http://textuploader.com/hr0v

http://textuploader.com/hr0n

http://textuploader.com/hr0w

http://textuploader.com/hr0b
Canyoncl

Return to Suggestions