Game dev. process and your team.

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
ShadyS

Game dev. process and your team.

Post by ShadyS » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:22 pm

In the Alpha 4 disqussion topic
macias wrote:can you give a predictable path of development of the game, including further alphas (how many more), beta(s), final release, with predicted dates of above... game development seems to be terribly slow, almost 2 years after funding while still in alpha phase, played almost 6 months ago and dont see any major changes, no new game content expect some minor adds, nothing to be looking for now.... wake up wizards.
Sadly but all that is true. I mean, game is great, Alpha 3 and 4 updates are awesome. But development progress feels probably not so fast as it wanted to be, considering that really big part of the content was made even before Steam Greenlight approval.
What am I see as possible reasons of this situation: -- you don't really tell us about your plans and don't include everything you already have into new Alpha updates before it's really be approved by dev. team.
-- your actual developing capabilities. We don't know about Acid Wizards much. Most part of information was given in IndieGoGo campaign introducing video, there are 3 guys - programmer, animator and artist. But I personally never saw anybody exept Gustaw ever on forums or somewhere else. That pushes me to thought that Gustaw is the guy that doing most part of work and his power is not enough. Sometimes I even thought that Gustaw is the only guy in the team.
So, how do you guys can comment on that? What holds your progress and do you feel that you need more power?

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Game dev. process and your team.

Post by Gustaw » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:41 am

You can't rush art ;)

Just to clear things up - nothing has changed with the team, there are 3 wizards and we all work the same amount of time. I would consider our workflow to be very efficient, and our motivation near-fanatic. You see me around here the most, because I'm the PR / community management part of the team, simply because my english skills aren't crap (unlike the other wizards, lol). I'll answer your questions in 2 parts:

1. The development may feel slow to you, because you probably look at the amount of content like characters, weapons, items etc. which indeed did not change too much over the past months. But there's been a ungodly amount of work done on the game otherwise, with a completely redone world generation, many changed or added mechanics, locations, balancing, enemies... Unfortunately, only a small fraction of game development time is spent on the actual "meat" of the game on a complicated project like this. During alpha stages of development, things like mechanics and back-end stuff take A LOT of time to design, experiment with and implement, and we had to do a lot of that after the initial early access launch.

2. There have been so much games recently starting with great potential, only to be considered finished halfway through development. Fuck that. We're not going to rush Darkwood. We believe this can be something really unique given enough time and love, and that's exactly what we're going to give it.

From my perspective, we're doing extremely good progress, considering the size of the team and the complexity of the game. The only way we could speed things up would be expanding the team - we already tried that, but unfortunately it didn't work out and we lost a ton of time because of that.

TL;DR
Everything is fine, no need to worry. We're working hard. Game development is tough.

ShadyS

Post by ShadyS » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Thank you for wide answer, Gustaw. Your work as community manager actually is as good as your work as a programmer. Here on forums we can feel that developers listens and communicate with us, but in the same time, they (you), doing art (game) for their own enjoyment. That is very important and rare even at indie game dev.
I started this topic not because I'm not believing in you. I'm believing in you very much, each of updates 3 and 4 made game on one step better and I feel that you know how to do your game even much better if we give you some time.
But questions like this and doubts generated when you don't give "behind the stage" cover.
Entertain us, do some weekly digest or tell us something about your work, even some rare concepts of locations, characters or mosters will be fine. And there were no videos for a lo-o-ong time. :)
-- But not at the expense of work, of course.

MAJOR

Post by MAJOR » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:24 pm

People should really understand that there's so much work to be done if you want to make a decent game, though I do understand that guy's frustration. You start to worry when game dev's don't update at a regular pace, luckilly for us the wizards do a good job at posting information.

Maybe like Shadys said you could do a bi-weekly or monthly update on progress just to keep impatient people (like me) up to date on the development progress and overall stuff. I'm sure Artur has some cool concept stuff laying around :p

And of course this doesn't have to be a primary thing, development (and your personal life) comes first!

Miralath

Post by Miralath » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 am

Gustaw wrote:There have been so much games recently starting with great potential, only to be considered finished halfway through development. Fuck that. We're not going to rush Darkwood. We believe this can be something really unique given enough time and love, and that's exactly what we're going to give it.
Much respect. I love this.

firerage259

Post by firerage259 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:15 pm

I have really High hopes for Darkwood and see really good potential for it in the future. It is seriously a good game and I love it. But great things take time like Gustaw said. I respect that they prefer to take their time and do the back end stuff of the game first. Remember that port they did from an old version of Unity to the new version. That takes time to implement and without that the game would be slower than what it is now.

Acid Wizard Studios, in my opinion, are doing this all right like all video games developers should do it. Keep making awesome stuff Wizards. Your doing great :3
"For nearly four years you have had an Administration which instead of twirling its thumbs has rolled up its sleeves. And I can assure you that we will keep our sleeves rolled up.

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace — business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.

They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.

Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me — and I welcome their hatred.

I should like to have it said of my first Administration that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second Administration that in it these forces met their master." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Waismuth

Post by Waismuth » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Yup, What Firerage said. It love Darkwood with all my heart, ever since I've seen the firts gameplays from the year back. The sound design is marvelous, the art style is stunning and the atmosphere and story telling are both awesome. Today Darkwood is one of the few modern indie horror games that don't rely on jumpscares as their go-to tactics. There's not a single jumpscare, excluding the times you run into some savages or step into mushrooms :P. I simply love the new Banshee and its arrival. I say you guys take your time and polish the game to the limit.