Ideas for interesting monsters

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Re: Ideas for interesting monsters

Postby cjbrier08 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 am

How bout a monster that comes at night and tries to convince you and reason with you to open your doors to help her. VERY creepy. and it can simply be audio without need to implement another whole AI.
cjbrier08

Postby TheBigcheese42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:22 am

cjbrier08 wrote:How bout a monster that comes at night and tries to convince you and reason with you to open your doors to help her. VERY creepy. and it can simply be audio without need to implement another whole AI.

I cant remember where, but I do know we've discussed a mechanic similar to this, but with the 'its a monster' trick being just that, a trick.

An actual npc comes knocking at your door at night calling for help, you can let them in and have a buddy for the night/someone to talk to/have them magical disappear and an item left for you there the next morning or something of the like.

However, there's a chance that the 'npc' is actually a monster just imitating the voice, or simply when you open the door nothing is there.

The balance of unpredictability is a core mechanic of Darkwood. While we can think of a plethora of amazing situations, we need to think in the long term. An amazing, completely unexpected mindfuck is all good and well, but if its a one-scare only sort of deal, then it makes the whole concept void.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Postby Gyrosser » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 pm

I would suggest a monster along the lines of the Weeping Angels from Doctor Who.

For those who don't know:
Weeping angels are creatures that are indestructible by normal means, but are Quantum based, meaning they can only move when not being perceived, like the boo's in Mario. In the show, someone blinking allows them to move forward like 10 feet, they are actually terrifying IMO. When being perceived they look like statues of angels, with their heads in their hands like they are weeping to avoid accidentally seeing each other, which would lock them both in place indefinitely.

This would work well in dark wood as there is already a LOS element in play, though I wouldn't want exact copies of the angels in this, something based on sight though would be cool. scan a room left to right, nothing, scan back left and there is suddenly something there that wasn't. Disconcerting and unsettling things like that are what I think horror is. In fact, imagine like a mannequin/wickerman that did this. Not sure in it's attack mechanic though.
Gyrosser

Postby cjbrier08 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 pm

TheBigcheese42 wrote:
cjbrier08 wrote:How bout a monster that comes at night and tries to convince you and reason with you to open your doors to help her. VERY creepy. and it can simply be audio without need to implement another whole AI.

I cant remember where, but I do know we've discussed a mechanic similar to this, but with the 'its a monster' trick being just that, a trick.

An actual npc comes knocking at your door at night calling for help, you can let them in and have a buddy for the night/someone to talk to/have them magical disappear and an item left for you there the next morning or something of the like.

However, there's a chance that the 'npc' is actually a monster just imitating the voice, or simply when you open the door nothing is there.

The balance of unpredictability is a core mechanic of Darkwood. While we can think of a plethora of amazing situations, we need to think in the long term. An amazing, completely unexpected mindfuck is all good and well, but if its a one-scare only sort of deal, then it makes the whole concept void.

You make an excellent point. A balance of reward and punishment would also need to be achieved. if saving the person gives too much it can be too easily farmed. And if the risk is too great for the reward, at early or higher levels, you might as well send them packing.
cjbrier08

Postby cjbrier08 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:18 pm

As an aside, i got to day 27 and found as long as i could run my generator, I had 1 visitor, maybe 2 a night. Perhaps a complication were to arise? Perhaps if that infestation monster were to spread to the generator room it would shut down..?
cjbrier08

Postby Carl the BedWetter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:19 am

cjbrier08 wrote:As an aside, i got to day 27 and found as long as i could run my generator, I had 1 visitor, maybe 2 a night. Perhaps a complication were to arise? Perhaps if that infestation monster were to spread to the generator room it would shut down..?

I'm actually getting many nights not hearing or seeing one single monster and I'm not using the generator most of the time. I did have one night though....I took a shot at a monster in between a crack the wardrobe and the closet was making. Scariest shit so far. Heard a loud scream and the lights went out, all while the monster was charging me.I should have died. Somehow didn't.
Carl the BedWetter

Postby TheBigcheese42 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 am

cjbrier08 wrote:
TheBigcheese42 wrote:

You make an excellent point. A balance of reward and punishment would also need to be achieved. if saving the person gives too much it can be too easily farmed. And if the risk is too great for the reward, at early or higher levels, you might as well send them packing.

Yes, balance is key.

I think the idea the community has (which may or may not also be the same vision that AWS shares) is to have a multitude of random events and situations, with them all being cycled through to prevent predictability. The Stranger At The Door scenario would only happen rarely, maybe only a few times between playthroughs. But a rare event with 3 or more possible outcomes would mean the gimmick would take hours of experience for the player to catch onto. Having it intertwined with many other scenarios would keep Darkwood as unpredictable as possible.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Postby Carl the BedWetter » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 am

TheBigcheese42 wrote:
Yes, balance is key.

I think the idea the community has (which may or may not also be the same vision that AWS shares) is to have a multitude of random events and situations, with them all being cycled through to prevent predictability. The Stranger At The Door scenario would only happen rarely, maybe only a few times between playthroughs. But a rare event with 3 or more possible outcomes would mean the gimmick would take hours of experience for the player to catch onto. Having it intertwined with many other scenarios would keep Darkwood as unpredictable as possible.

I like that. The less encountered, the creepier it gets.
Carl the BedWetter

Postby Demosphere » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 pm

Carl the BedWetter wrote:
TheBigcheese42 wrote:
Yes, balance is key.

I like that. The less encountered, the creepier it gets.

+1
Demosphere

Postby Bronxsta » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:02 pm

1) I actually got this idea after seeing the second pre-alpha gameplay trailer, that scene when the lights go out and the player is frantically searching. Imagine something in the vein of the Asphyxia enemy from SH Homecoming (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011 ... _final.jpg), just this long twitching worm-like many-limbed thing creeping through your hideout or dragging itself over the windowsill to get inside. I just think that would make for some creepy visuals

2) Decoy/Skin Walker
Looks like a normal person, or perhaps a corpse, but once you're close, the creature inside emerges from the decaying flesh and attacks. In the general shape of a human, but no skin, tall and spindly, just diseased flesh and cracked bone from forcing itself into the human carcass. Could be two variants: one that disguises itself as a live moving human and another as a corpse. Could be the Darkwood version of Dark Souls' chest enemy
Bronxsta

Previous

Return to Suggestions