Ideas for interesting monsters

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Re: Ideas for interesting monsters

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:18 am

Okay, lets be honest here guys, all of these ideas are absolutely intriguing and many of them would make a great addition to this game. But we're coming up with a itty bitty problem: Overcrowding.

I feel Darkwood's experience would be deteriorated if there were hundreds of different creature types. I can use Minecraft as an example. It has a few dedicated creatures, which helps make the game feel more open, whereas if you add certain creature mods to the game, you just get a giant mixing pot of all these different types of creatures with different mechanics. You look out over a field at night and see upwards of 20 different creatures all walking around like they pay rent.

So, AWS, I implore you, add some of the more interesting creatures with impressive mechanics, but don't go overboard.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:05 am

Perhaps we should vote on which ones we think are the best. Like a poll or something.
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:46 am

I'm mainly hoping that the creatures don't get to similar if some of these are used...

And yes, perhaps if one was to set up a topic, get the creatures suggested here and then tally votes, that could work. Although I don't have a lot of time on my hands (school and all), I could set something like this up if you guys wanted, I wouldn't mind.

Wolfie

TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:14 am

Wolfie wrote:I'm mainly hoping that the creatures don't get to similar if some of these are used...

And yes, perhaps if one was to set up a topic, get the creatures suggested here and then tally votes, that could work. Although I don't have a lot of time on my hands (school and all), I could set something like this up if you guys wanted, I wouldn't mind.

Wolfie
I would gladly do it also, but it seems like we're in similar positions, both being in Australia and both having schooling to worry about.

A joint operation perhaps? We pick our favourite monster type of the week and have a vote on it, then we pit the 4 selected together at the end of the month and see which got the highest number of votes, to show which monster we as a community prefer the most.

This of course would have to be sanctioned by AWS, because there is little point in going through all this trouble if AWS deep down would rather they worked on their game, instead of us. Which is understandable.

Ultimate26

Post by Ultimate26 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:19 pm

It would be the best thing ever if slenderman appeared as an easter egg or secret boss!

TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 am

Ultimate26 wrote:It would be the best thing ever if slenderman appeared as an easter egg or secret boss!
Leave.

NOW

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:07 am

Ultimate26 wrote:It would be the best thing ever if slenderman appeared as an easter egg or secret boss!
Why does thou suggest this? :shock:
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."

Cultist

Post by Cultist » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:31 am

TheBigcheese42 wrote:Okay, lets be honest here guys, all of these ideas are absolutely intriguing and many of them would make a great addition to this game. But we're coming up with a itty bitty problem: Overcrowding.

I feel Darkwood's experience would be deteriorated if there were hundreds of different creature types. I can use Minecraft as an example. It has a few dedicated creatures, which helps make the game feel more open, whereas if you add certain creature mods to the game, you just get a giant mixing pot of all these different types of creatures with different mechanics. You look out over a field at night and see upwards of 20 different creatures all walking around like they pay rent.

So, AWS, I implore you, add some of the more interesting creatures with impressive mechanics, but don't go overboard.
A solution could possibly be for each game to have a random selection of appearing creatures, with others occasionally swapping out with another or making brief appearances in small numbers. Of course, you'd probably have some constants.

Torchwood202

Post by Torchwood202 » Thu May 08, 2014 11:17 pm

Not sure if this is a OP idea, but I suggest a Grue.

For those who do not know exactly what a Grue is, it is a... creature of the darkness. It literally lives in the pitch black dark, ranging from under your bed to that cookie jar you just stuck your hand into.

Grues are commonly known for eating their prey before the victim even get a chance to see it. It is literally impossible to see a Grue, for they only appear if they cannot be seen (such as the pitch black darkness). They are either impossibly fast or can teleport, for the Grue seemingly exists in all darkness.

The only indication of a Grue attack is coming is the fact that you can hear something unnatural in the darkness.

The only way to counter a Grue...

is to...

with your flashlight...

consistently...

360 all over the place. :geek:
:lol: Sorry, but the idea of a Grue in this game, which uses peripheral vision and darkness everywhere, is insane.

So heres the idea. We got too many monsters to suggest with all of us, so we need a poll (as others have said). What monsters we DEFINITELY need in this game is...

1. A creature that comes out only at night (most likely, ALL creatures)
2. A creature that can be hurt by light (or just gets stunned by it... this one is a MUST)
3. Some sort of seemingly invincible creature, who is extremely slow or just stationary. (Ok, this probably won't be the case/will not be used)

atlashaven

Post by atlashaven » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:39 pm

hey you know what would be an awesome and horrifying monster for this game? something that can temporarily blind you or at least greatly reduce your vision. it could be as simple as a monster that spits in your eyes with some kind of goop but just think about it, how scared would you be if you knew there was a monster right by you but you couldn't see it? all you would be able to do would be to run away until the effects of the blindness wore of... or you died muahahahahah.