Ideas for interesting monsters

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Ideas for interesting monsters

Postby Psychic Null » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:40 am

Hello.
Everyone loves monster creation. And this game is ripe for various interesting designs.

Light Seeker

Perhaps there could be a creature that is attracted to light, but in the sense that it only can appear within your flashlight FOV, areas lit by flares and electric light. It doesn't exist in the darkness and cannot become aware of a player in darkness.
It's strength could be linked to the intensity of light and or duration of time it spends within a lit environment.

This role may already be taken by the shadow (which is attracted by gasoline and seems to be intangible).

Fire Seeker

I'm not sure how much fire plays a role in Darkwood? It would be interesting if there was some sort of spectral creature that could only take shape by using a source of fire (akin to how some spirits require a human body to possess).

So for example as seen in the videos, the player throws a flare or lights one and carries it unbeknownst that there is one of these entities nearby and it seeks out his flare and uses it to manifest itself.
There are all sorts of possible bad things this entity can do once manifested (maybe as some kind of demonic willow wisp?) such as spreading fire, creating strange glyphs in fire, who knows.

Perhaps there is some kind of auditory prompt that one is nearby so that if the player is quick he can get away from the fire or throw his flare away before the thing manifests through it.

Pack hunting Creatures

A pack hunting group of weaker monsters would be interesting. May be hard to code but could form a rough circle around the player, coded so that the circle is usually wide enough to be just outside his FOV. One pack member may lurk constantly just within view as a distraction while others move in from another side when his back is turned.
This would add a scary element because when the player sees one he knows that there are probably more and that he is being hunted

Frequency Modulating Presence

I'm not sure how sanity is expressed in this game, if it is like health or randomized effects
It would be interesting if there was a creature that became aware of you once you were in a certain state (low sanity, or some kind of critical sanity). It is drawn to your mind, but start far away (the more insane the closer it gets).

The player would become aware of this presence by a ringing in his ears. The proximity of this thing is wouldn't be represented by the ringing getting louder, it's proximity would be represented by the ringing changing frequency either higher or lower. Kind of like reverse sonar.

The trick is that this thing is modulating which frequency represents proximity so that as the frequency changes your never quite sure if it means it is getting closer or farther away.

You could make this ringing sound very eerie and unnerving so that it makes the uncertainty more tense and creepy.
You could get rid of it by regaining your sanity and then this thing can no longer sense you.
What this thing is exactly, I don't know. Maybe it's nothing. Maybe it's an unbeatable horror.
Psychic Null

Re: Ideas for interesting monsters

Postby UndeadGuru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:59 am

Cool ideas! Welcome to the forums Null ;)
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.
UndeadGuru
VIP

Postby Sunday » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm

One thing which unnerves me, a kind of odd phobia I have, is that I refuse to look anywhere near a mirror while in a dark room.
Like if it's pitch black and I can't even see my own reflection, I'll still refuse to look anywhere near it. Gives me chills.

Didn't help matters that I read a story about this, where people who stare at a reflection they cannot see have something else staring back at them.

If the dev's could pull off something similar? I'm sending them a hospital bill...
Sunday

Postby UndeadGuru » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Sunday wrote:One thing which unnerves me, a kind of odd phobia I have, is that I refuse to look anywhere near a mirror while in a dark room.
Like if it's pitch black and I can't even see my own reflection, I'll still refuse to look anywhere near it. Gives me chills.

Didn't help matters that I read a story about this, where people who stare at a reflection they cannot see have something else staring back at them.

If the dev's could pull off something similar? I'm sending them a hospital bill...

I think it would be hard to see a mirror from top-down perspective ehh? ;)
UndeadGuru
VIP

Postby Nhoise » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:04 am

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nhoise

Postby UndeadGuru » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:24 am

Nhoise wrote:The idea would kinda fit in with the sanity thing we were talking about though.
You walk past a mirror, see some kind of reflection and boom, there goes a little bit of your sanity.
And even though you don't actually see the reflection yourself, you character does and it might be possible to give a hint of it with a little effect around the mirror area. It would fit the game in my opinion.
Or maybe a special event where you get pulled into the mirror by some kind of entity and "wake up" in a different part of the world and you have to find your way back.

I will quote myself again...
I think it would be hard to see a mirror from top-down perspective ehh?
UndeadGuru
VIP

Postby Nhoise » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:15 pm

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nhoise

Postby UndeadGuru » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Nhoise wrote:
UndeadGuru wrote:
I think it would be hard to see a mirror from top-down perspective ehh?

Not really tbh.

Think about it, you can't look into a mirror from top-down perspective. That is only possible from first person view (or maybe from a Isometric perspective).... Also if you want to implement that the protagonist can see something in the reflection of the mirror, it's not scary because you (the player) can't see it.
UndeadGuru
VIP

Postby Nhoise » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:01 pm

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nhoise

Postby Psychic Null » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:06 pm

One idea that may execute this Mirror thing:

In the screenshot a player could tell that the square rectangle over the sink represents a mirror.

Maybe a randomized mirror on the map could activate once you enter a bathroom (in darkness), suddenly a field of vision similar to your own comes out from the mirror and locks onto the player,( maybe mirror FOV is a different color or has some effects filters over it) add ominous sfx, the mirrors vision field follows the player as he moves.

Maybe some mirrors just watch you and do nothing, maybe if your in it's field of view you experience a sanity drain? (maybe you can shatter the mirror? Just to be safe?) Maybe some mirrors if you get within close proximity something could reach out and attack.

Maybe some mirrors like this can act as a portal for shadows?
Psychic Null

Next

Return to Suggestions