Ideas for interesting monsters

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Re: Ideas for interesting monsters

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:46 am

I really like the idea of "Sanity" monsters. I reckon the concept would go well with an idea I had of how a sanity bar could be implemented. I'll just nick the tl;dr:

There is a sanity meter, being in suspenseful situations lowers sanity a little, draining it slowly, while being jumped scared lowers it in a chunk, but it regenerates far quicker. Being jump scared at a low sanity level will temporarily lower your max sanity. Can only be restored in safety.

What this would mean is that if you weren't careful, your character would be reduced to a mental wreck. Which in turn means the Sanity Shadow is always chasing you. Would be a great deterrent from a more gun-ho playstyle.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

zero51
VIP

Post by zero51 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:08 pm

TheBigcheese42 wrote: There is a sanity meter, being in suspenseful situations lowers sanity a little, draining it slowly, while being jumped scared lowers it in a chunk, but it regenerates far quicker. Being jump scared at a low sanity level will temporarily lower your max sanity. Can only be restored in safety.
I think the devs are opting away from the sanity meter idea you mentioned. Gustaw said something in the Q&A about it...

Ah, found it.
From the Q&A session on Raptr:
One of the things about insanity is that.. You can’t really know for sure if it affects you or not ;) We don’t plan on a “insanity meter” where if you pass a certain point you have to take some “sanity pills” and all is good. So you won’t really know if your character is going insane or not and how to prevent it at first. But, in time, you will begin to learn the symptoms.

zero51
VIP

Post by zero51 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Psychic Null wrote:Hello.
Everyone loves monster creation. And this game is ripe for various interesting designs.
I like the idea of light/fire monsters. Having monsters which spawn as a result of the player's actions (e.g lighting a fire) is a cool spin on things.

Psychic Null

Post by Psychic Null » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks for posting the sanity Q & A Zero!

I'm glad they are making the sanity system a more mysterious one as opposed to a straight up mental HP system.
It's also good for us contributing ideas that are relevant to the dev's, knowing along the lines of how the mechanics will work.

TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:31 am

zero51 wrote:
TheBigcheese42 wrote: There is a sanity meter, being in suspenseful situations lowers sanity a little, draining it slowly, while being jumped scared lowers it in a chunk, but it regenerates far quicker. Being jump scared at a low sanity level will temporarily lower your max sanity. Can only be restored in safety.
I think the devs are opting away from the sanity meter idea you mentioned. Gustaw said something in the Q&A about it...

Ah, found it.
From the Q&A session on Raptr:
One of the things about insanity is that.. You can’t really know for sure if it affects you or not ;) We don’t plan on a “insanity meter” where if you pass a certain point you have to take some “sanity pills” and all is good. So you won’t really know if your character is going insane or not and how to prevent it at first. But, in time, you will begin to learn the symptoms.
I normally ' ' whenever I say sanity meter, at least that's what I think whenever I say it. By meter I literally mean 2 extremes. One being hunkie-doorie school girl, and the other being Charlie Sheen. Not necessarily an actual HUD meter. My bad though, I didn't properly specify this.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

zero51
VIP

Post by zero51 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

TheBigcheese42 wrote: I normally ' ' whenever I say sanity meter, at least that's what I think whenever I say it. By meter I literally mean 2 extremes. One being hunkie-doorie school girl, and the other being Charlie Sheen. Not necessarily an actual HUD meter. My bad though, I didn't properly specify this.
No worries.
Player character sanity is a pretty interesting topic. Depending on how well it's implemented, it can be really great (personal example: Amnesia), or really annoying and artificial (personal example: Condemned 2).

One of the things I liked about Amnesia was the way the sanity system worked to make the player feel oppressed and helpless. If you've never played it before, in the game the player character's "sanity" suffers when standing in areas of darkness, and also suffers when looking directly at enemies.

This creates pretty interesting situations whenever enemies appear and start looking for you. You know that the best place to hide is in the dark, but you also don't like to be in the dark. I think the way the game forces your hand into sitting in the dark and watching/listening to the player character lose his mind is a pretty interesting way to raise the tension. Then when the enemy comes into view, you have to look away from it in order to prevent the player character from gasping in fear. Not being able to look at your pursuer raises the tension even more, and helps the player feel what the player character is feeling.

Having the player literally cowering in the corner of a darkened room, entirely due to the game mechanics is a pretty awesome achievement of game design when you consider it for a moment. I think it's far more effective than the AAA solution of having all of this communicated through a cutscene or QTE whereby no player agency is involved.

To relate this back to Darkwood, it's promising to hear that they're also taking a more systemic route to presenting the fear and sanity of the player character.

Edit: The one thing I wasn't so crazy about in Amnesia was the sanity meter being visible to the player. Would have preferred that to be hidden. Just a minor thing.

Elric.Axel

Post by Elric.Axel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:42 pm

What if that creepy kid had an imaginary friend.......WHO WAS REAL!, do you see where i am going with this. If you were to upset the child, this imaginary friend would lash out at you or better yet stalk you through the wood's until you were a certain distance from him.

XGCForsakend
Supporter

Post by XGCForsakend » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:59 am

Nhoise wrote:
UndeadGuru wrote:Think about it, you can't look into a mirror from top-down perspective. That is only possible from first person view (or maybe from a Isometric perspective).... Also if you want to implement that the protagonist can see something in the reflection of the mirror, it's not scary because you (the player) can't see it.
You can achieve a lot with audio. I think it's possible.
If the player doesn't know what the audio is for (Something in the mirror in this case) and/or can't see it... no matter how awesome that audio is, will be perceived as simply random noises.
Psychic Null wrote:One idea that may execute this Mirror thing:

In the screenshot a player could tell that the square rectangle over the sink represents a mirror.

Maybe a randomized mirror on the map could activate once you enter a bathroom (in darkness), suddenly a field of vision similar to your own comes out from the mirror and locks onto the player,( maybe mirror FOV is a different color or has some effects filters over it) add ominous sfx, the mirrors vision field follows the player as he moves.

Maybe some mirrors just watch you and do nothing, maybe if your in it's field of view you experience a sanity drain? (maybe you can shatter the mirror? Just to be safe?) Maybe some mirrors if you get within close proximity something could reach out and attack.

Maybe some mirrors like this can act as a portal for shadows?
I am not fully sure if they plan to implement anything that allows you to see enemies/other creatures/monsters field of view or not... but that might break the immersion of you being the character and seeing only what that character sees. As it is now, if you aren't looking at the mirror (and lets say its FOV as well), you wouldn't be able to see it unless looking directly at it.

I do like the 'portal' idea for the mirrors though.
To add to the whole 'mirror' thing, why not have a 'close-up' look at it similar to the first trailer when the child gave you a drawing or NPC talking on the second one.

Simply putting up a picture of your character looking at the reflection in the mirror with darkened circles as eyes looking back may give a few players goose bumps. Maybe the image changes over time as the story progresses and the image reflects that progress (or your guy going insane).

mantricore

Post by mantricore » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:12 am

I will not create another subject for some monsters ideas.

So here they are !

Weeping angels
I can't think of a name for it other than that. It is from Doctor who. They are angels statues that move when you blink or face away. Maybe not angels but little humanoid monsters that look harmless at first and only look at you.
But once you look away , they draw closer and closer to you until they finally attack you. Now , if you think about it, they are not so harmful. You just spot it and attack it right away. But what if the monster , once attacked,gets
more aggressive and sprint at you like crazy... So it would be a good way to either avoid them by looking in their direction then close a door and quickly barricade. It could also come in a pack. And once it does not see you , they could lose interest in a matter of seconds.

Wendigo
Immagine yourself walking in a forest at night ( or even day for that matters ) and you see a deer.
A nice little deer just standing there and eating leaves off a bush.
You proceed to aim and shoot it but as you shoot it, it stands up , and jump on you.
BAM !
Were-Deer.
Could also just be eating away a corpse. So if the player only keep his attention on the deer to get food, it would not have any way to notice it is eating a rotten body instead of leaves.

Light eaters
Similar to the Light seekers already mentioned.
This time , it will be a passive creature. Kind of.
It would not hurt the player but it would instead reduce the light as it walks near a source.
Flashlight flickering. Fire being low all of a sudden.The only thing to notice them is that they would cast a shadow.
Only a shadow , no body. A tall, humanoid-like form with maybe a big jaw.

Psychic Null

Post by Psychic Null » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:18 am

Weeping Angel

The weeping angel style monster is great for this style of game.
The idea of a monster that is activated when your FOV hits it is scary!

Maybe when you see one of these monsters it locks onto your position.

Whenever your FOV is not aimed in the direction of the creature it slowly moves towards you (it never loses track of you). You can stop its movement by looking at it or in it's direction (when it's off screen).

Maybe this thing is invincible, slowly tracking you but stopping when watched. It becomes like an endless pursuer.

When I was a kid I was afraid of undead men (with no lower body) crawling slowly upstairs from the basement towards wherever I was at the time. The only way I could stop their crawling progress was to look over towards the stairs, but whenever I looked away they would continue.

Light Eater:

Very good idea, a light source eating creature. Maybe its behavior changed depending on how much light it ate.

If it gets enough it could try to follow you like a pest, eating your ambient light as you travel. You could starve it out by remaining in the dark.

Maybe the more light it eats the more light it can absorb from your source and the faster it can move to chase your light source.