Ideas for interesting monsters

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
Psychic Null

Re: Ideas for interesting monsters

Post by Psychic Null » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Weeping Angel Edit

The more I think about it a monster that endlessly chases you may not be that fun in the end.
There is a mod where you fight weeping angels and the mechanic is cool and could translate well to Darkwood.

Basically wherever your not looking the monster teleports there. In this way it can jump around from behind you to infront of you.

Here's a link of the mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4joyEWy3ifU

Though I'm not sure if they reskinned the Angel and put it in Darkwood they would avoid copyright issues from BBC.

Psychic Null

Post by Psychic Null » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Here's another idea:

This may not mesh with the storyline that Acid Wizards have cooked up but who knows.

Souls of the Tank Crew

In the pictures you encounter a destroyed tank.
Maybe the souls of the dead crew lurk within in a radius around it, unable to travel beyond it. Their souls trapped in this alternate reality.

These dead crew (maybe 3 of them per site) could look like shimmering human forms with a small field of light around it.
They wander slowly around their tank but when the player comes within the radius of the tank they move in towards him (probably with faster movement than their wandering speed).

The way they attack is when the player gets close to the ghost crew it's glowing field expands (either in a radius around it or towards the player). The closer he gets the more the field expands.

The players health slowly drains when he's touches or is inside the field, and the closer he is to the dead soul the faster his HP is drained. Maybe when in the field the player's movements are slowed slightly.

Also when inside this field, maybe the players electronic devices could be disrupted (like the witch but maybe not as severe) since this is the classic symptom of contact with ghosts (batteries drained, lights turn off).

Another interesting element to add could be that the tanks (or crashed Jet fighters, copters) have good materials to salvage from it. These souls would be a risk to face when going in to see what good loot you can scrounge.
This idea was inspired by the Day Z destroyed tanks and copters guarded by zombies.

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:07 am

So here is my first post and I had a cool idea for a monster (if you like it of course).

---
Shel, the Bunny

Shel is a stuffed bunny toy that at random will show up in the game. Once it shows up it "follows" the player. This moment can't be seen... at first, also when first encounter Shel seems to just teleport away. However if Shel teleports away so many times or "follows" the player long enough (an the player fails to lose it) Shel will reappear with a scythe in her hand and red eyes.

Now in its second form Shel will slowly follow the player while physically moving on the screen. Also in this second form Shel can actually be killed. If it catches the player it will not hesitate to attack and kill them. However it is weak to fire.

---
So what do you think of that?
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."

TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:35 am

He With Many Eyes wrote:So here is my first post and I had a cool idea for a monster (if you like it of course).

---
Shel, the Bunny

Shel is a stuffed bunny toy that at random will show up in the game. Once it shows up it "follows" the player. This moment can't be seen... at first, also when first encounter Shel seems to just teleport away. However if Shel teleports away so many times or "follows" the player long enough (an the player fails to lose it) Shel will reappear with a scythe in her hand and red eyes.

Now in its second form Shel will slowly follow the player while physically moving on the screen. Also in this second form Shel can actually be killed. If it catches the player it will not hesitate to attack and kill them. However it is weak to fire.

---
So what do you think of that?
Perfect, perhaps in its first form it should er more on the side of caution, not betraying its intentions until it's "too late".

Maybe a subtle glow coming from the eyes, that slowly reddens over time. It following the play should be ominous, as well at least in its first form. Instead of teleporting after you, it should "appear" in your path. Laying against a tree, ontop of a box, in a cage. You wont realise that something is going on until it's ready to strike.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 pm

I am glad you like the idea and I also enjoyed your feedback. Very constructive and it would actually be cool if it did Shel did some of those suggestions. :)
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."

dolphinflavored

Well, 2 Things!

Post by dolphinflavored » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:01 am

1. A ghost creature. Literally all it does is stand still. You can walk through it, nothing will happen. it follows you occasionaly. BUT Staring at it WILL decreases your sanity ALOT! But only IF SANITY EXISTS IN THAT GAME.

2. Next, a 13-foot tall humanoid. with really super long and thin limbs. with a ton of teeth in its mouth. With footlong claws. When its near it'll make a deep gutteral panting. (The sound heay metal singers make to get that low deep voice.) It can't be hidden from. It always knows where you are. But it wont ALWAYS attack you. Sometimes it'll just stay there... panting... now it will ALWAYS attack you if provoked. Sometimes it will attack for literally no reason at all with all it's got. It's at "slightly-harder-than-moderate-difficulty" to defeat. It will not come into the house unprovoked. It cant come into the house because, well, its just too tall. Sooo... basically... passive. But sometimes extremely aggressive for no reason at all.

That is all.

Walrus Cat?!

Post by Walrus Cat?! » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 am

One idea I have for a new monster is one that would act like Slenderman. Now before everyone starts yelling at me about how Slenderman is old and overused, in my opinion Slenderman himself is not old, but the 'Slender Style' of game (You know, finding notes, running from an invincible teleporting thing), and I think that a Slendermanesque creature randomly appearing in and trying to teleport around and kill you, then going away when it gets bored of trying to kill you, before coming back again randomly. Now obviously Slenderman himself can't make an appearance due to a combination of copyright issues and the fact that everyone knows who he is, but some other thing (which I hope still has some form of tentacles, simply because I just like tentacles) that teleports around would be awesome. Also one more thing, I hope you can kill it, simply because making it completely invincible wouldn't be fun. I wouldn't want it to be very easy to kill, maybe because you need to use unconventional means to destroy it, or it might just be hard to hit, but for it to be 1. killable and 2. Not being the only one of its kind, with many more to take its place should it fall

TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 am

I'm voting for this thread to be sticky'd.
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:04 am

I would like to second that motion sir. :lol:

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:55 am

Hmm, I just thought about something. Perhaps there could be some gigantic creatures in the game? Maybe something like a Behemoth or Beholder, I believe this could not only create a sense of fear, but also one of intimidation. This might mean that even end-game players (or players who have gotten some amazing gear (let's say, an automatic rifle for example)) would still have not only continue to have combat difficulties, but also be required to have constant vigilance, much like a new player to this game (and I suspect that this will be required with most new players). Although any creature of a large scale might be difficult to portray in-game, it could be done, and it could make things very interesting.

Also, I agree for this to be stickied :), it is perhaps one of the most discussed topics on the forum!
Wolfie