Old woods, the best and worst place to live

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!

Old woods, the best and worst place to live

Postby Silent Night » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Now this was my first post, and it was about making the old woods easier, just dont, ive gotten more skill at the game and now i live in the old woods nearly full time and my current weaponry is the homemade shotgun (which i have not even used yet) a bolt action rifle with no ammo, a pistol with an extra clip, and a fully upgraded axe+shovel. After spending some quality alone time in the old woods, i realized that the trick to long term survival in the old woods isn't just stealth, and it isnt going hunting either, its surviving your nights. In the old woods, The Three are automatically your bestest freinds, you cannot survive without them, and if you cannot survive your nights you cannot purchase from them, if you cannot purchase from them you cannot repair damages to your stuff, if you cannot repair damage more monsters get closer with you, if more mosters get closer you will die, before i thought the concept of the old woods was to give you no sense of security and be rage quit levels of hard, i was wrong. The concept (apart from the story) of it is to be a high risk high reward place to live, rewarding players who plan out their day and play very carefully and punishing the players who go recklessly, and i like that kind of concept as i myself love the high risk high reward playstyle, as in most games i play the more agressive roles, now to conclude this rant id like to give out a few tips and tricks to survival in the old woods and sometime later i will give out a few screenshots and tell my general playstyle on how i survive the nightmare that is the old woods.
1. Stay hidden: stealth is the key surviving your nights, find an area that renders you invisible to the outside, this effectively takes away reasoning for monsters to enter your hideout

2. Do not move unless nessessary: if you have not been spotted yet and no monsters are attacking barricades, keep still, movement=noise, noise=monsters investigate
2a. Examples of when to move: you have been spotted by monsters, immediately relocate from hiding spot to an easily defendable spot

Lights go out while monsters are trying to get in, shadows are one of your worst enemies, stay in the light

Investigating the knocking on your front door, be careful with this one, while the unknown benefactor is a great ally providing free loot, opening your front door leaves you exposed and vulnerable, but be warned, not investigating seems to result in your front door being broken down, so your left with a choice, risk detection and investigate or have an extra opening for monsters to take a stroll into your house.

3. BARRICADE ALL POSSIBLE ENTERANCES BEFORE NIGHTFALL, i cant stress this enough, ill provide screenshots to show where barricades should be top priority but the more windows that are barricaded the safer you'll be, while barricades WILL NOT stop your enemies, they will slow them down and give you early warning to prepare for a possible fight which in my opinion is a downright godsend compared to a chomper sneaking up behind you and biting you in the ass

And this has been the reconstuction of old woods too hard, ill still edit this post for the screenshots and more tips to survival in the old woods but first id like some feedback, i like feedback
Last edited by Silent Night on Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silent Night

Re: Old woods too hard?

Postby threeofwands » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:57 am

The Old Woods did get harder with the 7.0/7.1 updates, but I don't agree that it's too hard. This coming from someone who's played every update since around the 4th alpha, before alpha 7 the Old Woods was stupid easy due to the imbalanced learning and trading curve. I feel they tweaked the huge dogs and chompers in some way too (either that or rebalanced the weapons) because I find it more difficult to engage the enemies too.

But the idea I've always drawn from the game, especially in the hardest biome, is that you don't want to fight every single enemy you come by. It's especially apparent in the fact that there really isn't much reward in doing so anyway as it's a drain on your resources more than anything. More often than not, I watch my step and I bypass them without being seen. The entire point of the Old Woods is to challenge you and to keep you on your toes, making the place constantly a threat to the player and making sure you never gain a sense of security. It isn't meant to be easy. I'm glad for the updated difficulty, because that paired with my hoarding getting me over 2000 rep with the Three and Wolf made everything entirely too easy in the late game.
Useless agendas make a useless breed, all you can eat in a world of need.
A discount price for all your good deeds; tell me isn't that all you need?
threeofwands

Postby Waismuth » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:02 pm

The old woods themselves aren’t too hard, I think. At least not the biome. Staying in the 3rd hideout IS a bother :P So I simply try to spend as little time in the 3rd biome, either by staying in the silent forest more, or just rushing to the end game faster.
Waismuth

Postby Silent Night » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Actually i wasn't trying to fight the enemies, sue to the extensive vision range of them most of them spotted me before i could spot them, i really was trying to be stealthy, i know that the key to survival in the old woods is stealth, i was actually able to run away from 2 of the three chompers without fighting but the Huge Dogs are way to fast and cannot be outrun
Silent Night

Postby Rednecklawrence » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:42 am

Silent Night wrote: and to help with the chompers a one shot shotgun with about half a dozen spare shotgun shells.

Erm you do know its called a one shot shotgun cause you can only use it once, right? not sure what the purpose of the six extra shells was for... and half the stuff you mentioned was nails, boards, etc, all things that will not help you in combat. And a bit of health? what's that mean? a few things to heal, or you had health in your bar, but not all the way? And the dogs are outrunnable. I've done it before. Welcome to the Darkwood, where life ain't fair. enjoy your stay.
"It ain't illegal until you get caught" - Rene Soetaert
Rednecklawrence

Postby Silent Night » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Rednecklawrence wrote:
Silent Night wrote: and to help with the chompers a one shot shotgun with about half a dozen spare shotgun shells.

Erm you do know its called a one shot shotgun cause you can only use it once, right? not sure what the purpose of the six extra shells was for... and half the stuff you mentioned was nails, boards, etc, all things that will not help you in combat. And a bit of health? what's that mean? a few things to heal, or you had health in your bar, but not all the way? And the dogs are outrunnable. I've done it before. Welcome to the Darkwood, where life ain't fair. enjoy your stay.

The one shot shotgun is reloadable, my goal was to secure the hideout (i was heavily relying on stealth but the enemies are way to frequent for that), a bit of health means extra healing items i was already at full health, and the dogs are not outrunnable when you have used all your stamina running from 2 red chompers, and i very well know darkwood isn't fair but i have the right to voice out my thoughts, any more negative criticism you got that i can counter?
Silent Night

Postby Silent Night » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:02 pm

ATTENTION: THIS TOPIC HAS BEEN CHANGED SINCE IT WAS FIRST MADE
Last edited by Silent Night on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Night

Postby ShadyS » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:10 pm

You should be able to edit your first post. Add your new thoughts about Old Woods and tell, why you don't think that Old Woods are too hard anymore.
ShadyS

Re: Old woods, the best and worst place to live

Postby Shrooms » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:03 am

Tbh shadows have never been an issue for me. I figured out there's a spot in the hideout where you can push a lamp, stool, and wardrobe against the wall. You stand between the lamp and stool and pull the wardrobe against them into the corner. Enemies will push on it to try to get to you but they can't. I've had 4 chompers and a banshee standing in front of me before while doing this.

As far as during the day, I pretty much run from every enemy encounter I can, unless the chomper is already engaging me, because I can't ever seem to outrun them. When that happens I either use an axe or shoot them with a pistol. I only use the shotgun when I'm sneaking up on an enemy and I can get that close-range damage, or if I need to reload the pistol.
Shrooms

Return to Suggestions