Fire effects on inventory

Got any cool ideas for Darkwood? Share them here!
Psychic Null

Fire effects on inventory

Post by Psychic Null » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:34 pm

It's fun to throw ideas around but usually it comes down to how long will it take to code.

In Nethack (an old roguelike game from late eighties) when your character is hit by any fire spell or is set on fire somehow this effects his inventory.
If the character has potions on him there is a chance that the potions can explode. Scrolls can burn.

This is a cool idea that could be transferred to Darkwood.
If you have a bunch of nailbombs and flares, great your stocked up. But your also a walking powder keg.

I'm not sure if fire is a threat in this game or if you can even be set on fire, but it would be an interesting mechanic that makes fire more of a threat to your survival other than just damage.

If set on fire you would probably try to drop your most explosive items.

Again not sure how fire will be implemented but maybe if your on fire there could be an option to do a kind of Stop Drop & Roll move (could be bound to the action key)

Perhaps an item you can find could be a fire extinguisher. Could be useful to put out fires or when you yourself are on fire.

could be used on enemies, maybe also as a smoke screen to get away. Could be crafted into some kind of smoke bomb or weapon.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Fire effects on inventory

Post by Gustaw » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:52 am

That's a cool feature, we'll give it a whirl, although it could be a bit too hardcore for some.. But we're all for balancing the risk / reward mechanics, so maybe it would make people more careful with setting up (or even carrying) stuff that could explode!

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Perhaps it could be a feature in a certain difficulty mode. For example it doesn't really show up in normal/easy mode but has an effect in hard mode (or insanity mode).
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."

Psychic Null

Post by Psychic Null » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 am

Agreed Gustaw, it is hardcore. Nethack is very unforgiving.

Maybe to not make it game breaking there could be a grace period of the first few seconds your on fire then your items begin to be in danger.

I don't know how code works but maybe some kind of probability based on strength of fire damage X time duration. Probabilities get higher the longer you are on fire.

You could give at risk items a volatility value, or %chance of igniting once you have hit a certain threshold.

On easier modes you can just modify the values so things take longer to be at risk of exploding or igniting and have lower percentages of igniting when they do become at risk.

I have no idea how computer coding works, I'm using board game and RPG mechanic thinking which is still hopefully of use to you guys .

He With Many Eyes

Post by He With Many Eyes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:10 am

True but I can still definitely see people being terrible annoyed by this feature. So I think it may be something to make less common in lower difficulties and increase there chances in higher difficulties.

I do like the extra seconds prior idea. That can give the player a chance to extinguish the fire before the effect happens.
"I have many eyes. With my many eyes I watch you from the dark. No need to cry. You aren't that bad looking... for a dead guy."