Skills and perks update

Skills and perks update

Postby Gustaw » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey!

We just posted a new update on the blog: http://www.acidwizardstudio.com/?p=159 . We talk about leveling mechanics in Darkwood, some skills and perks, and how all this will effect gameplay and multiple playthroughs. Because you will most probably die a lot!

Let us know what you think!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Skills and perks update

Postby Nhoise » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 pm

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nhoise

Postby Kennedee » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:13 pm

I like the idea of getting "stroger" using essence from your enemies, but i was thinking, what about having scare about how much may i use?, obviously, if you get more essence that your body can resist, your will be another inhabitant of darkwood, maybe i can find myself later in my next life.

This fact should make more difficult the survival experience. I'd love to being scare just for one decision :D

keep working wizard!!, we really want to try to survive in Darkwood! you are making a great work!!
Kennedee
Supporter

Postby Gustaw » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am

Nhoise wrote:So if i understand correct you guys are going a bit more towards the so called; rogue like genre?

Yup, there's a lot of roguelike elements in Darkwood, so we have to make a lot of stuff random to make each playthrough after dying unique, without having to go through all the same stuff again.

Kennedee wrote:I like the idea of getting "stroger" using essence from your enemies, but i was thinking, what about having scare about how much may i use?, obviously, if you get more essence that your body can resist, your will be another inhabitant of darkwood, maybe i can find myself later in my next life.

Don't know what you mean by "scare" :D but mutating will have multiple negative effects on you, some obvious, while others very subtle and manifesting themselves in how others react to you.. or how your character reacts to the enviroment.
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Nhoise » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 am

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nhoise

Postby Gustaw » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:04 am

Nhoise wrote:How much is that affecting the plans you had originally about how the game should turn out? I felt the focus was a lot on story and interaction with the world, with a game which relies heavily on rogue like stuff story is much less important.

That was our plan from the beginning actually - but that doesn't mean we put less focus on the story or characters. We find that our favorite games are rich in almost every aspect and don't specialize solely in gameplay / story / whatever. That's what we're hoping to achieve in Darkwood.

Nhoise wrote:How much of a rogue like will it be?
Binding of Isaac style - where a run could last anywhere from 20m-1hour+
Spelunky - instant deaths or glorious victory after +/- 1hour of hard work
or something totally different?

It's hard to compare to any of these games, as they play very differently from Darkwood. Basically, you are free to do whatever you want, and it's up to you if you to decide what you like to do the most. If you're a powergamer, you might choose to try to finish the game as quickly as possible (although we plan to add multiple endings), but similar to Spelunky, it will be very hard at the first, until you learn all of the mechanics of the game world. But there's a ton of stuff to do besides that for people who enjoy the story, finding secrets, soaking up the atmosphere, or just surviving as long as possible.

Nhoise wrote:the New Game+ stretch goal for the IndieGoGo wasn't reached but are you now thinking about previous runs affecting play throughs you play after that?
Mutations carrying over, certain items which are unlockable stay unlocked, those sort of things.

Right now a part of the essence you gained in your previous plathrough carries over, although recently we're thinking about making achievements (which give you bonuses) persistent instead. We'll see!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Postby Wolfie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 pm

I like it how using essence is like a double edged sword in the way that it has a positive and a negative. And it's great to hear that achievements will actually mean something now (Kind of like the Badass tokens in Borderlands 2 I take it?). I'm a pretty big fan of the Roguelike genre, so this should satisfy my hunger for something new in said genre :D . Keep up the good work Acid Wizards!

Wolfie
Wolfie

Return to News