Early Access

All things Darkwood!
Nhoise

Early Access

Post by Nhoise » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 pm

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ark.clark

Re: Early Acces

Post by ark.clark » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 pm

They've posted about why on the Steam Store page:
“Welcome to the Early Access of Darkwood!

The current version of the game is very playable, with most of the core features implemented, but a lot of stuff is still to come. The game is divided into chapters, and currently you can play through the first one. We're still in development though, so there WILL be bugs, missing features, and a general lack of balance and polish. So why are we here, you ask?

Because we want to hear what you have to say about Darkwood - the good, the bad and the ugly. We have a pretty strong vision on what we want to achieve, but we have already received some great suggestions from the community that we think will change the game for the better.

To implement these new features, we need more resources. Darkwood is funded entirely from our Indiegogo campaign (and our pockets), which was set to a specific set of stuff to be in the game. We feel that Darkwood will benefit greatly from the new ideas that we come up together with the community.

By buying the Early Access version, you support the development of Darkwood, so we can make it better and in less time.

We get that alpha versions are not for everybody, so here's a list why should you NOT play Darkwood in it's current state.

- You can't stand bugs.
- You hate spoilers.
- You'd rather just play the finished game.

If these things don't really concern you and you decide to hop into this crazy ride with us - thank you. We'll do everything we can to not let you down, and in the meantime, join us on our Forums (or on the Steam forums), or catch us on Facebook or Twitter!

We have created a list of current and planned features below, so please read through it before you buy!”
So yes, they're looking for wider feedback and Early Access may have spoilers. Wanting to avoid spoilers is a completely valid reason not to play it.

Nhoise

Re: Early Acces

Post by Nhoise » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 pm

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nake

Re: Early Access

Post by nake » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:13 am

By the way. Steam says this is a windows only game... What about linux? Are we out of the beta?? :cry: I wanted to play...
And there are some parts of the description written in some language that is not english ;)
Obecna zawartość
Planowana zawartość
EDIT (I posted while going completely offtopic sorry).
I also wanted to say that I don't think doing a Early access is a bad idea. I mean, it gives the opportunity to try out the game. And as they said, it's the first chapter what'd be avaible, so, yes, it will have some spoilers, but the main history should be ok. Right?
I like the idea. I want to play this game badly and early access is a nice way to do it.
Also, bug-hunting is fun. It makes you feel that you are actually helping develop the game. And if you do not like that just don't play it yet. I don't see what's the problem.

I think the first refered to 'betas' as releasing parts of the different chapters, but as long as you have a complete chapter to play, the differences with that chapter's final version should be low.
Last edited by nake on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:20 am

This is nothing personal against you guys (the Wizards), i still love you and really hope your game is going to turn out great (for me obviously but also for you guys) but this was the last time i'm ever going to give money to a game before it's even remotely done.
For me it's proven again there is nothing positive about Kickstarting/Early Acces existing in the gaming scene.
Hey Nhoise, I'm really sorry you feel that way, but I don't really understand why is Early Acces a bad thing for you? If you don't want things spoiled, you don't have to play it :) And if you're worried about the flak we might receive from people complaining about bugs.. well, that's life ;)

The fact is, we've expanded the initial conception of the game a lot, and need some more time to finish it so it plays the way we want it to. With Early Access, we aren't forced to publish a unfinished product and call it "complete", like a lot of publishers do recently.

Originally, we were opposed to doing Early Access (even though releasing a alpha build was as much requested as multiplayer), as most of the games at that time we played which were in EA were in pretty bad shape, so our opinion on this system was a bit distorted. Recently we've been enjoying several titles in Early Access which we think benefited greatly from getting feedback from the community.

We've given a lot of thought to this (as you've seen, we've shifted our view on this matter a lot) and are confident that this is a win win situation for everybody.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:24 am

nake wrote:By the way. Steam says this is a windows only game... What about linux? Are we out of the beta?? :cry: I wanted to play...
And there are some parts of the description written in some language that is not english ;)
Obecna zawartość
Planowana zawartość
Thanks for pointing that out! Linux & Mac builds are still possible to be supported at launch, but we don't want to promise anything as we have some testing left to do!

Nhoise

Post by Nhoise » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:22 am

-
Last edited by Nhoise on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:53 am

I understand your criticism Nhoise. However I also see the positive things about Early Access. State of Decay, Arma 3 and Contagion are one of my favourite Early Access games that are released fully by now and I love them! And there are more examples of Early Access games that are fully released and are better after extensive testing by others such as Betrayer...

However I don't want to play the game once it is fully released, though I don't know if I can withstand the temptation. I hope I can avoid the spoilers on youtube... :cry:
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 am

UndeadGuru wrote:However I don't want to play the game once it is fully released, though I don't know if I can withstand the temptation. I hope I can avoid the spoilers on youtube... :cry:
I thought about it, I can't wait to play it even if it's on early access. I'm a sinner :twisted:
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

nake

Post by nake » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am

Nhoise wrote: ... and for what? The chance to play something which isn't finished at all and ruin the magic of the full game for yourself.
One of the major risks (and which conflict with that 1st quote of you) i hope you thought about is what Sunday perfectly described in his quote i put up there. I've seen it happening multiple times and with the example of 'Under The Ocean' (among several) i even experienced it myself and it really is a shame.
I have to agree with you that EA usually is a bad idea, it gives money for something it's not done. In fact, it gives too much money to people that usually seem not being able to handle it themselves (I'm not talking about the wizards here).
I mean, one day you have nothing, and a week later you have, as you said, several more 0's in your bank account. The first think you should be doing is asking yourself: How much time do I really need to develop this game? How much is it going to cost me? And then blocking all the money and only allowing you to use it as a monthly payment or something like that so that you don't run out of it easily.
I don't know, I have seen lots of kickstarted-based videogame companies that hired way too much people, or bought way too expensive equipment. That's a typical example of not managing your money correctly. Then they ask for more... people give them more... and again.

But, on the other hand I see EA and kickstarted and the like as a really positive thing. Why? Because it allows "normal people" (and crazy people like the wizards) to develop the games that they want. And guess what? I do believe that these games are what people are looking for, and not those AAA games we are all bored about and that start to cost 70€... (Unless you are a teenager that all that wants to do is to play some counter-strike-like game for a while, and you don't mind spending that money because your parent's pay for it).

Kickstarted and the like has allowed people to create lots of really interesting videogames. And in my opinion, it has also made AAA companies think that they are not giving the players what they want. It has the problem of giving a lot of money bad companies, yes, but don't forget that this is an investment, and investments aren't without risk.
Choose wisely :)