How are you liking our Indiegogo?

All things Darkwood!
Sunday

Re: How are you liking our Indiegogo?

Post by Sunday » Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm

I find the video very humorous, the pitch is very nice.

The rewards however I do disagree with, but that's just me.

The rewards I'm speaking of are the "secret revealed" and the "Survival Kit".
It's strictly just my preference that I'd rather not have ANYTHING revealed to me about something as mysterious as this game, I'd LOVE to try and figure things out on my own, let my imagination run wild on possibilities. Imagination and Horror are good bed partners in that regard.

The Survival Kit I hope would be an optional item(s) that players could "switch on or off" before setting up their game. I tend not to agree for being rewarded an easier experience (even slightly so) just for throwing in a couple of bucks etc.

Those are my only criticism, but other than that, I'm fairly happy with the Packages offered.

In other words, it's 75 bucks well spent.

MonkeyTemple

Post by MonkeyTemple » Sun May 12, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi to all!
When I first saw the game I thought: wow, that's cool! I love it!
I went to the forum and watched for a while and then stopped. It is always easier to come through time and not torture yourself with anticipation.
I saw a fundraiser and I thought why not kick starter? This is a really powerful tool to attract players.
The situation is really serious, and if in the near future is to spread information about the game, I do not even want to think what will happen (

I think you could do something like short linear stories in which people would be able to play. It's not be a demo or alpha/beta test. Just short story for 5 min. You can even lock the functional like inventory and items. It's may be just walk through the forest and coming to the some house. You can show only one walk atmosphere of horror.
important for people to try it all yourself! And in the end scare them than anything or truncated at an interesting place.

I also try to interest groups of gamers in my social networks.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Sun May 12, 2013 8:43 pm

Sunday wrote:The rewards I'm speaking of are the "secret revealed" and the "Survival Kit".
It's strictly just my preference that I'd rather not have ANYTHING revealed to me about something as mysterious as this game, I'd LOVE to try and figure things out on my own, let my imagination run wild on possibilities. Imagination and Horror are good bed partners in that regard.
First of all, hello and welcome to the forums, Sunday!

I hear you! I don't even watch movie trailers or reviews anymore, they give out way too much. I only listen to recommendations from friends and like to go view them with a clear mind.
This reward will be very criptic (as the description on the IndieGoGo page reveals) and will <u>help</u> uncover one of the things that are VERY hard to find. This is an added bonus and as we agree 100% with what you said, you don't have to worry that this will spoil anything ;)
Sunday wrote:The Survival Kit I hope would be an optional item(s) that players could "switch on or off" before setting up their game. I tend not to agree for being rewarded an easier experience (even slightly so) just for throwing in a couple of bucks etc.
Of course, it's an optional feature. Lots of people were concerned that a difficult game with permadeath will be discouraging for less skilled players - this is a nod in their direction.
Sunday wrote:Those are my only criticism, but other than that, I'm fairly happy with the Packages offered.

In other words, it's 75 bucks well spent.
Thanks! It's extremely fulfilling to hear your (and all of the other lovely backers and supporters) hard earned money is considered well spent, after putting countless hours of hard work and love into Darkwood.

MonkeyTemple wrote:Hi to all!
When I first saw the game I thought: wow, that's cool! I love it!
I went to the forum and watched for a while and then stopped. It is always easier to come through time and not torture yourself with anticipation.
I saw a fundraiser and I thought why not kick starter? This is a really powerful tool to attract players.
The situation is really serious, and if in the near future is to spread information about the game, I do not even want to think what will happen (

I think you could do something like short linear stories in which people would be able to play. It's not be a demo or alpha/beta test. Just short story for 5 min. You can even lock the functional like inventory and items. It's may be just walk through the forest and coming to the some house. You can show only one walk atmosphere of horror.
important for people to try it all yourself! And in the end scare them than anything or truncated at an interesting place.

I also try to interest groups of gamers in my social networks.
Hello and welcome to the forums, MonkeyTemple!
No need to torture yourself, because we WILL succeed! :) It's still very early, we're 1/5th through the campaign with 1/5th of the initial funding goal. The press hasn't really picked up on this yet and let's they will soon.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid putting out a build in it's current state will only disorient people as to the game's true potential. We'll be coming up with more content in the weeks to come, so be on the lookout ;)

Nickboom

Post by Nickboom » Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 am

I just posted a thread in the Dont Starve's off topic area about you guys hope it helps. :D

arkhometha

Post by arkhometha » Mon May 13, 2013 4:55 am

The first video and the pitch video are great! I signed to your email list when I saw it on RPS and that's how I got informed of the IndieGoGo. The exposure sure is a problem, and it's weird RPS didn't cover it, although Destructoid did cover the campaign. I think the main problem around of it was hype generation. Though revealing to much could spoil the game, revealing things to keep up the press and gamers interested would rack more attention. Look at the Don't Starve development model or Starbound hype machine that generated more than 1 million to the devs. There's also some dubious ways to gain exposure, like the market stunt the Game Dev Tycoon devs did, when they uploaded a modified version of their game to a piracy site and all the drama around it.

About the campaign perks: They are kinda meh. I don't usually spend much in crowdfunding since I'm a poor Graduate Student in poor shitty country, so I can't say much on the higher perks levels, though they seemed alright. The main addition would be beta/alpha access. Again, I know you guys don't want to spoil the game too much but that will bring backers. People like this kind of access and this way the game usually gains more media coverage and hype, just look at Kerbal Space Program, Prison Architect, Don't Starve, Kenshi and other games with an "open" development. Again, I'm not saying you guys should do it, there's pros and cons to this model, I'm just saying my opinion and sharing some thoughts.

Finally, the stretch goals... I don't like them so much. People reading an english IndieGoGo campaign will probably not care about translations. The 140 and 170 goals are right on track, but the other goals are not so great. I don't know how hard is to do shit, my programming skills don't go much far from basic Java and C++, but stretch goals are usually used as a mean to make people push and work for the feature they want to see in the game. I know you guys already deny it, but I would like too see hunger, thirst and sleep need added to the game. Maybe gauge the community interest in this or other features like black magic rituals you could do, or tattoos with arcane symbols to serve as permanent amulets, and add them as stretch goals. I would love to see the survival elements I mentioned in the game, could be as an optional mode, as I'm a sucker for these things. Find what people like (like mod support), what you like and fit with the vision of the game, and add as a stretch goal.

To finish, let's take a recent successful example: Papers, Please. The game got greenlit fast, I think it's the fastest greenlit game on Steam, since it's appearance on media. If someone told to play a game about being a immigrant officer stamping papers, I would be skeptical. But fortunately, the game as an short open beta, and after playing it, I, a lot of reviewers and other "gamers" fell in love with it. Although it is not super known, the exposure the beta gave, that is, the ability to test the game to see if you would like it, made possible for it to be greenlit super fast and gave it massive attention, to the point the developer stopped linking in the game's site the forums he posted about the game development.

These are my opinions, not necessarily suggestions. You guys know how hard is to do the game and how to do it.

PS: Sorry for the wall of text, and sorry, I don't have a tl;dr version.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Mon May 13, 2013 8:21 am

arkhometha wrote:About the campaign perks: They are kinda meh. I don't usually spend much in crowdfunding since I'm a poor Graduate Student in poor shitty country, so I can't say much on the higher perks levels, though they seemed alright. The main addition would be beta/alpha access. Again, I know you guys don't want to spoil the game too much but that will bring backers. People like this kind of access and this way the game usually gains more media coverage and hype, just look at Kerbal Space Program, Prison Architect, Don't Starve, Kenshi and other games with an "open" development. Again, I'm not saying you guys should do it, there's pros and cons to this model, I'm just saying my opinion and sharing some thoughts.
I strongly disagree. The perks are just fine and they are not different from any other Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign. For example http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kri ... -the-sleep, I think those perks are even worse.
arkhometha wrote:Finally, the stretch goals... I don't like them so much. People reading an english IndieGoGo campaign will probably not care about translations. The 140 and 170 goals are right on track, but the other goals are not so great. I don't know how hard is to do shit, my programming skills don't go much far from basic Java and C++, but stretch goals are usually used as a mean to make people push and work for the feature they want to see in the game. I know you guys already deny it, but I would like too see hunger, thirst and sleep need added to the game. Maybe gauge the community interest in this or other features like black magic rituals you could do, or tattoos with arcane symbols to serve as permanent amulets, and add them as stretch goals. I would love to see the survival elements I mentioned in the game, could be as an optional mode, as I'm a sucker for these things. Find what people like (like mod support), what you like and fit with the vision of the game, and add as a stretch goal.
I think the stretch goals are fairly reasonable. They aren't too high and the only thing I think should be different is the second additional translation. Mod support could be a good replacement for the 100.000$ stretch goal.
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 am

arkhometha wrote:There's also some dubious ways to gain exposure, like the market stunt the Game Dev Tycoon devs did, when they uploaded a modified version of their game to a piracy site and all the drama around it.
Welcome to the forums Arkhometha and thanks for the suggestions! :)

I don't think that was a dubious market stunt.. It's a very nice way to focus players' attention to how piracy works from the dev's side - most of them aren't big corporations and really need the money just to survive.
arkhometha wrote: Finally, the stretch goals... I don't like them so much. People reading an english IndieGoGo campaign will probably not care about translations. The 140 and 170 goals are right on track, but the other goals are not so great. I don't know how hard is to do shit, my programming skills don't go much far from basic Java and C++, but stretch goals are usually used as a mean to make people push and work for the feature they want to see in the game. I know you guys already deny it, but I would like too see hunger, thirst and sleep need added to the game. Maybe gauge the community interest in this or other features like black magic rituals you could do, or tattoos with arcane symbols to serve as permanent amulets, and add them as stretch goals. I would love to see the survival elements I mentioned in the game, could be as an optional mode, as I'm a sucker for these things. Find what people like (like mod support), what you like and fit with the vision of the game, and add as a stretch goal.
I think that adding more and more game mechanics depending on how much funds would rather hurt the game than make it better. We have a pretty good vision on how we want to create Darkwood, and trying to please everybody by adding stuff that are trendy or cool right now will detract it from what it is supposed to be. It's not a game for everybody, that's for sure, but thanks to that we believe it's unique.

arkhometha

Post by arkhometha » Tue May 14, 2013 5:44 am

UndeadGuru wrote: I strongly disagree. The perks are just fine and they are not different from any other Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign. For example http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kri ... -the-sleep, I think those perks are even worse.
Again, it's just an opinion. It's the first IndieGoGo I backed (I missed the Kenshi one), but I backed some Kickstarters and I felt their perks offered... something more. Although I know not everybody can (and want) send all that gadget stuff some KS give to backers (and not everyone want physical stuff), generally offering beta and alpha access attracts people to higher perks because in the end, we are supporting a concept that will turn on something more tangible in the future. As I said, my opinion is they are okay, neither great nor horrible.
Gustaw wrote: Welcome to the forums Arkhometha and thanks for the suggestions! :)

I don't think that was a dubious market stunt.. It's a very nice way to focus players' attention to how piracy works from the dev's side - most of them aren't big corporations and really need the money just to survive.
Thanks!

I don't support piracy and I do think this is a worthwhile thing to bring attention to, but not the way they did. The piracy figured is biased and since they uploaded the game themselves, they can't even call people pirates. Would be the same thing if they uploaded the same version to their site. If the creator of a game uploads it on a public torrent site, can he call the downloaders pirate? That dubious at best. Anyway, sorry for dragging this off-topic subject around.[/quote]

Gustaw wrote: I think that adding more and more game mechanics depending on how much funds would rather hurt the game than make it better. We have a pretty good vision on how we want to create Darkwood, and trying to please everybody by adding stuff that are trendy or cool right now will detract it from what it is supposed to be. It's not a game for everybody, that's for sure, but thanks to that we believe it's unique.
I completely agree with you. The point I was trying to make is, people (generally) want features, people want information about the game and people want to have more insight on how the game will be. Sorry for the ad populum, but the only way to generate hype is to release information. X information will generate Y hype, and it will reach a "peak" or a "stopping point" unless it's an a)beloved and know franchise (e.g. Simcity) or b) a known and loved developer (e. g. Double Fine, Tim Schafer, Obsidian). What I wanted to say with the stretch goals and the post was that, as you probably know, more information and generally more promised features lead to more hype and exposition, and that's my opinion on the IndieGoGo. It's up to you guys to balance out what will be better. And since I want the campaign to succeed, I came here to write that wall.
An indieGoGo demo or alpha/beta access could spoil the game? Yes, and I understand you guys want to leave even the mechanics that way, and I really appreciate not getting spoilers (I played the Age of Decadence public RC1 and while I kinda regret the spoilers, but that made me pre-order the game), but that costs support and hype. Look at the Prison Architect model, they made their own campaign via their website and generated hype though marketing an alpha build to reviewers. People played, love and now their game that's still in alpha raised a staggering 2.1 million dollars. Not every model works though, as they are leaving the spoilers on the story and the campaign mode while providing the sandbox in the alpha for the buyers, and that may be not possible here. I think the best known comparison would be Don't Starve.

Anyway, that just my opinion!