Old Darkwood FAQ

All things Darkwood!
Jayhon

Re: Darkwood FAQ

Post by Jayhon » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 am

arkhometha wrote:I completely disagree. Most of the best games ever made (Dwarf Fortress, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Control 2, Starflight, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Jagged Alliance 2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, just to cite a few) didn't had multiplayer. Multiplayer don't make games better.
They were great single player games, yeah. You can't say you know that they would have been better/worse with multiplayer. I'm just saying multiplayer is a great addition to games. Multiplayer can and does make games better (in some aspects).
:geek: lol
There is no inherent 'Good' or 'Evil' in this world. Those labels are just artificial constructs. 'Right' and 'Wrong' are determined by people who hold positions of authority. It just makes us feel safer to believe that it can be carefully categorized into 'Good' and 'Evil'. Where does your knowledge come from, your 'Ability' to know 'Right' from 'Wrong'?
Think about it.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 am

arkhometha wrote:I completely disagree. Most of the best games ever made (Dwarf Fortress, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Star Control 2, Starflight, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Jagged Alliance 2, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, just to cite a few) didn't had multiplayer. Multiplayer don't make games better.
XCOM: Enemy Unknown has multiplayer ;)
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

arkhometha

Post by arkhometha » Mon May 13, 2013 9:08 pm

UndeadGuru wrote:
XCOM: Enemy Unknown has multiplayer ;)
Oh, you are right. I actually meant X-COM: UFO Defense aka UFO: Enemy Unknown.

Jayhon wrote:
They were great single player games, yeah. You can't say you know that they would have been better/worse with multiplayer. I'm just saying multiplayer is a great addition to games. Multiplayer can and does make games better (in some aspects).
:geek: lol
Yeah, I can say because they were built with single player in mind. Torment for example, wouldn't benefit from multiplayer at all, as it's focus is on it's story.
And no, multiplayer is an addition to people who play multiplayer games. Multiplayer doesn't make games better, it can make it more enjoyable to some people. I'm not opposed to the idea of multiplayer in Darkwood, but it certainly wouldn't make it a better game for me.

jrholford

Post by jrholford » Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

I don't want to sound irritating, but I will have to wait for release if there's no demo. I have been burned before. I will say that both Among the sleep and Dreadout have demos and I have funded both of them. Unlike a comic or movie, games need to be tried, especially if they are something new and interesting, like Darkwood. Remember that it does not have to contain any plot elements, or the neater surprises, just your most common enemies and gameplay.

I hope to try this game sometime soon. :)

jrholford

Post by jrholford » Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm

Also, I quite agree about multiplayer. If it isn't your main goal, multiplayer usually sucks out loud :mrgreen: .

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 am

I know this might sound a bit... well odd, but I don't suppose you guys can tell me what the blood in the game looks like? Because whilst I don't like ultra-gory games, I would still like blood to be traily (is that a word?, Well, you know, I mean like create trails) or noticeable. And can you also please tell me if it will be a gameplay element? Thanks in advance.

Wolfie

sad

Post by sad » Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 pm

Will there be the possibility to play in a resizable window ?
Will it be possible to play with mouse only and no keyboard keys involved? If so, I'll support the Indegogo.
Accessibility has nothing to do with dumbing down.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Fri May 17, 2013 4:55 pm

@jrholford sorry, but we don't have a playable build that we would be happy with releasing to the public. I totally understand as we're gamers too, we've been burned before ;)

@Wolfie yes, that IS an odd question :D The game is brutal and gory. If you look at the trailer, the player leaves blood trails when he's bleeding. There will also be dismemberment, as you can see on the pitch video.

@sad If you mean a window that can be resized like a browser window - then I don't think that's possible I'm afraid, but there will of course be a windowed mode and multiple resolutions. We haven't thought about adding accessibility options yet, it's something that we will have to take into account when rewriting the game to another engine so I can't guarantee a mode with only mouse controls will be available!

Melissia

Post by Melissia » Mon May 20, 2013 11:56 pm

What kind of character customization are you looking at for this game?

Most games you just play a generic, boring white guy (and usually a bald one, too), and if you're lucky you get to customize their skills and equipment. I'm hoping for something more in depth, such as different voices/personalities, being able to pick my character's race and gender, different appearances, etc...

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Tue May 21, 2013 9:31 am

@Melissia at the moment - none (apart from skills and equipment). So I'm afraid you're gonna have to play as a generic white guy ;)