How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

All things Darkwood!
Need

How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Need » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:52 pm

this is mine

general day time survival tactic
avoid confrontation.if possible outrun and juke enemies.

combat tactic (if necessary)
I use two pistols because reload time is thing that kills me evertime.I found that meele weapons are joke so i dont use them.

anti dog tactic
i throw meat or avoid them

my economy
Instead of dumping mushrooms into perks i make antidotes of them.Then i sell them to wolf to buy megazines.

general night time survival
blocked every entrance to my safespot with wardrobes wich i stollen from cottage and chicken lady.Every door is glass trapped.

gasoline management
i use gasoline to defend myslef during night.i spill it in circle around me and wait for them to get nearby.Then i just throw match.i call this tactic : inferno wall of last resort.

light managment
lantern or flare if necessary otherwise i just stand in corner and wait in darkness

house invading tactic
first time i visit house i just observe.I dont want any attention i just want to know what i am dealing with.
next time i visit i have molotov and some healing stuff.breach and clear.

i think thats all.Havent died since day 22.in time of posting this i am on 35.
sorry

Nenjin

Re: How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Nenjin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Melee is fine, you just have to be methodical. Know your surroundings, back up as you're winding up your attack, release when they get close. Gets even easier once you unlock Dodge or the Melee Special attack. Melee is brutal because of the durability of weapons, but I barely use ranged firearms until I'm dealing with a piece of story content. Dogs and Savages aren't worth the bullets. That said, melee when you're not expecting it or fighting two or more enemies at once, is quite deadly.

Night time, I just box myself into a corner using Wardrobes. No line of sight, no monsters attacking. I quit building barricades because of this. Monsters would just smash them down out of their apparent frustration at not finding me anyways. Hell, they'd smash down the door if it was closed, despite 3 open windows, so I quit doing that too.

I too sell Antidotes as my main source of trade. I view Mushrooms from the Well as sort of like your daily income. Meat is basically supplementary income. I'm hoarding my Mushrooms for skill for now. When I feel like I have enough healing resources to deal with trouble while clearing sites, I'll probably start skilling up.

My basic strategy is: avoid confrontation whenever possible and if I've got to die, die on my terms. For example I'll usually carry perishable loot out of an area and drop it at the entrance to the site, so if I do happen to die, I'm not losing more than I have to. I drop most of my perishable gear every night just to be on the safe side, although since learning about monster LOS, I haven't died since. (Although once a monster did bump the Wardrobe. Scared the shit out of me.)

I use light only when exploring new sites that are dark. Otherwise, I make due with nothing. I'll spend a whole day scoping out a site with next to no gear on me, just in case I run into something really nasty.

In a nutshell, my basic strategy is stockpiling, only using the stuff I have when it's necessary and being very cautious. Sometimes that means I only get 1 or 2 things done in a day, but since you effectively make "money" every day through the well, it's not so bad.

Need

Post by Need » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:46 pm

Now tell me you can just hide behind wardrobe and be invisible for enemies?Like then cant attack you?Like never?
sorry

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:02 am

Like, never. Unless they somehow manage to bump into the Wardrobe and make Line of Sight on you. They definitely know where you are, they just lack the AI to figure out how to get to you. All that will get reviewed and probably changed later, according to the devs.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 am

Nenjin wrote:Like, never. Unless they somehow manage to bump into the Wardrobe and make Line of Sight on you. They definitely know where you are, they just lack the AI to figure out how to get to you. All that will get reviewed and probably changed later, according to the devs.
That is incorrect. All enemies use line of sight and hearing to locate you, they never (except in some scripted situations, but hiding at night is not one of them) know where you are "magically".

neko

Post by neko » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Gustaw wrote:
Nenjin wrote:Like, never. Unless they somehow manage to bump into the Wardrobe and make Line of Sight on you. They definitely know where you are, they just lack the AI to figure out how to get to you. All that will get reviewed and probably changed later, according to the devs.
That is incorrect. All enemies use line of sight and hearing to locate you, they never (except in some scripted situations, but hiding at night is not one of them) know where you are "magically".
Then how do the champers know where you are if you are not moving in the dark in your house?

When they appear outside of your house at night the they are the only monster to try to bash down doors where you are hidden no other monster does it.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:39 pm

neko wrote:
Gustaw wrote:
Then how do the champers know where you are if you are not moving in the dark in your house?

When they appear outside of your house at night the they are the only monster to try to bash down doors where you are hidden no other monster does it.
Well, the perception the game gives right now, monsters know the general area the player is in. After the 1st night, things will enter your house in large numbers and gravitate toward the room the player is in. Now, they may just randomly wander around that room until they do or don't establish LOS, but for players not using Wardrobes to protect themselves, the distinction isn't apparent. Sitting in the pitch black afraid and eventually dying all looks the same to the player.

It's a lot like a horror movie, where the victim flees from their attacker and hides in a room, and the attacker enters the room and methodically starts searching it....before glancing at the keyhole to the closet and going "Aha, there you are...." Basically, it feels inevitable, just like it would in a movie, that you will be found unless you're using a Wardrobe to completely negate line of sight.

Before using the Wardrobes to protect myself, I'd say monsters found me in my hidden (but not blocked) corner of the room about 70% of the time. (if you remove the small square wardrobe from the image below, that's what I was doing.) So while it is a chance they can find you or not find you, it's a good chance they will.

There is a fine line between monsters randomly wandering into your house, and monsters basically laying a search net over the room you're hiding in until they find you or run out of time. It feels like it leans way more toward the latter right now.

The issue I guess is pathing? If you make the spot you're in impassible by setting up a line of wardrobes, the monster can't draw a path through them to the spot where you are, so it never has a chance to get LOS on you. It basically ignores the pocket the player is sitting in as a space it can path to. That's my guess, anyways, based on testing of various defensive methods.

Maybe I'll start a new game and test, by making a wall of wardrobes protecting me from LOS, then make a ton of noise and see if monsters will path through the wardrobes to get to me. My guess would be they will not.

Here's a visual example of how I do it, and what I'm talking about:

Sorry if I seem like I'm harping on this point. The night attacks however are IMO one of the best parts of the game. Been a long time since I've played a non-FPS that gave me heart-pumping fear like that. So I really want it to come out as good as it can by the end. So it can strike a balance between skill and chance and not force us to resort to what you see above.

In my ideal game, I would do something like what you see above and there'd be a chance, even if I make no noise, that a monster blunders through those Wardrobes. And so I'd double down on the defense, and add Bear traps in front of the wardrobes to prevent or slow that, add barricades to reduce the amount of time monsters have to randomly wander through the wardrobes...all the parts of defense would come together for me if hiding from the monsters was both effective and not fool proof.

That way, a strategy like this would enhance your survivability without guaranteeing it. And my sense, without knowing how the pathing in Darkwood really works, is that enemies need to be able to draw paths through moveable objects like Wardrobes for that to be possible. It's just right now it's either all or (seemingly) nothing.

It might also be advisable to allow monsters to destroy, shove or at least drag containers like wardrobes, for players who just pull a wardrobe in front of themselves in a corner, preventing it from being pushed out of the way. I have no idea what destroying a container would do to the items inside, but it might be funny watching 12 parcels shoot out of the wardrobe in random directions. Be cool if they all took a durability hit too. And the physics clearly back it up. (Try putting a wardrobe in front of a window then vaulting through from the other side. If some monsters could do something like that, wardrobes wouldn't be so OP.)

Need

Post by Need » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:13 pm

First things first...how you added that picture?

Now to the business
What about adding sleep mechanic?You must move or you pass out and if you pass out you die.
basicaly if you stayed in one room for too long you would start to blink (vision goes black for second),yawn (making noise and attracting monsters)get debufs and other things.it would mitigate wardrobe and corner tactic and it would add even more tension to the night.

also this topic should be moved into suggestions now.It not about strategies anymore.
sorry

Undeadenemy

Post by Undeadenemy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:59 am

Nenjin:

I see what you're doing there, and I stumbled across the same strategy. I must say though, you're actually over-complicating what you need to do.

All you need is to find a corner, put the long wardrobe against the long wall, and push it so that it leaves a space big enough for the player to stand in against the corner. You bring the square wardrobe into the same room, and you put it in front of the space the player is standing in. At night, you simply grab and drag the small wardrobe as far back as you can, and you've effectively negated any enemy in the game. At that point, you basically just sit there and wait for morning.

I've stopped running the generator. In fact, I think the monsters are more attracted to the lit up house than anything. Essentially, I can survive indefinitely by avoiding death while exploring during the day, ensuring I'm back at the hideout by night fall, drink from the well, then go in my corner and pull the wardrobe in. Eventually I brought over another wardrobe from Chicken Lady, and then later on I brought another after that. Now I just sit in my corner at night and manage my inventory and craft

Need

Post by Need » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 am

Undeadenemy wrote:Nenjin:

I see what you're doing there, and I stumbled across the same strategy. I must say though, you're actually over-complicating what you need to do.

All you need is to find a corner, put the long wardrobe against the long wall, and push it so that it leaves a space big enough for the player to stand in against the corner. You bring the square wardrobe into the same room, and you put it in front of the space the player is standing in. At night, you simply grab and drag the small wardrobe as far back as you can, and you've effectively negated any enemy in the game. At that point, you basically just sit there and wait for morning.

I've stopped running the generator. In fact, I think the monsters are more attracted to the lit up house than anything. Essentially, I can survive indefinitely by avoiding death while exploring during the day, ensuring I'm back at the hideout by night fall, drink from the well, then go in my corner and pull the wardrobe in. Eventually I brought over another wardrobe from Chicken Lady, and then later on I brought another after that. Now I just sit in my corner at night and manage my inventory and craft
He is trying to open that crate at night...i think
sorry