How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

All things Darkwood!
Waismuth

Re: How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Waismuth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

IIf you really feel like you're sick of dying, you can always alt-tab out of the game during the "death" animation (when the character staggers and falls to the ground). Close the game with task manager and load up again. You'll start the game from your previous save. The game only saves at a start of a new day; when using the cooker; or entering new locations like church's undercroft. As for the vines. That's quite odd. Wolf's camp's always above ground. When the game says "south-east" or west, it's always in that direction more or less. If you're feeling confused regarding the directions, have a look into your journal. You can always find correct direction there. It always puts your hideout as your main landmark, for example. "Wolf said his camp is -direction- from my hideout." Or something like this. The only other underground place I know of is marked as "X" on your map. It's for ending the Chapter 1 of the game, but you do need a key for this though. If you mean those undergrounds, then yes, some of the paths are blocked by huge roots, but there's only one way leading in and out of the whole place anyway. Wolf's never in those underground tunnels. You might have felt confused because Wolf sometimes appears in your house after the dreams, so he may give you odd directions. But they always do appear in a clearer way in your journal. It often also says whether a location is "closer" or far far away. So it's possible to find a church to south-east close to your hide out, and a wolf's camp south-east far away from your hideout, but still in the same line of sight. Hope that helps.

xector64

Post by xector64 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:19 am

How I deal with shit.

Start of game, first few days run around doing no quests, but finding as many locations as possible picking up whatever supplies I find worth carrying. Generally following directly North, East, South and West of the Hideout will find quite a few places to help get a decent go of things. Finding the Pig Farm is almost essential since you can find both an Axe and half a combination to a chest that gets you a Shotgun and 4 Shells. Usually save going to the Underground Entrance till it's convenient to my scavenging. Yes this means I risk going to the outskirts early on, but the rewards are well worth it.

After a few days I'll start to explore more to other directions following roads and such. Most of the time it's best to just run from the enemies, at least until you get a decent set up for ammo and such. If I don't feel there is something more important to do and I'm running low on space I'll drag storage things from the Chicken Lady's House to my Hideout. At this time I start collecting Skill Building things such as Odd Meat and Mushrooms and storing them in wardrobes for later when I can use them all at once and get the max amount of skills (or at least until the requirement is too ungodly to continue on with it) If you can manage to get the Locked Hideout Crate open then that is more space for you, but I generally don't waste my time with it any more.

Certain places I avoid till I have certain supplies entirely though. Church Ruins I feel the need to have the Rifle, a small hoard of bullets for the Rifle, a Trusty Axe, 3 Repair Kits, 6 Bandages in Alcohol, A Pistol with 2-3 Clips minimum, and 6 items for Anti-Poison minimum. Just an example for what I'm talking about.

Keep a decent supply of Gasoline and Matches for the crap that likes to grow in the Hideout from time to time personally. Trade the stuff I have no need for or excess amounts of for reputation to get supplies I feel I need more of.

Nights are simple enough honestly. Wardrobe dragged into corner is the best way to go. If your more gutsy than that or feel that is too cheap though I have another trick I use. Blocking the hole in the wall of your house from both the inside and outside with wardrobes is effective. If done right it will keep things from being able to push on through it, but I still don't trust it so I still use the room next to the entrance room. Barricaded up nicely, and all sorts of traps from bear traps, broken glass, and gasoline on the ground you could fight them off and perhaps even score some odd meat. Now, I don't know if it is a matter of time or a certain quantity of creatures, but after I fight them off entirely where I've managed to kill off all the creatures that come at me in one night that every night after that is peaceful. No creatures, no attacks...just you...your house..and the darkness. Even tested it by taking a stroll at late night, and still lived.

The rest of the things I do is more or less unimportant or basic imo so I will just leave it as it is.

Need

Post by Need » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 am

since there is new update i would like to hear what you do differently this days.
sorry

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:41 am

I always spend the first day scrounging around for nails and planks in the immediate vicinity of the house. I tend to explore in one of the four cardinal directions (north, east, south, west) or follow a road if possible for easy navigating. There is always a logging area somewhere near your house which usually supplies you with enough wood and nails to board up your house pretty well and make a weapon if need be.

It's probably worth heading to the underground entrance on the first day if possible for the various loot and weird stone, since time stops while in that area.

I tend to spend the first night in the small room that the front door leads to, since its the only room completely closed off from day 1. Also molotovs and tactically-placed bear traps are your friend. Molotovs are one of the most powerful weapons in the game (killed 3 savages at once with one).

Need

Post by Need » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Molotovs were bit buggy last time i used them so i stopped using them.
sorry

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Need wrote:Molotovs were bit buggy last time i used them so i stopped using them.
Buggy? How so. I've always found them to be reliable and effective

Need

Post by Need » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 pm

I havent touched molotovs since alpha 1 :D i dont know if they were fixed.

Anyway i changed tactic in alpha 2. I was using stamina mainly to outrun enemies and generealy i didnt give a single fuck about weapon damage,hitpoints and mushrooms were something i used as daily payment.

In alpha 2 became hoarder and fortbuilder.I maxed my health first and then i started doing stamina.Its much easier to survive when you are able to get smacked few times in close combat than running away from enemies.Runing into unknown places is very bad idea in darkwood with all the mushrooms and bear traps.

Also having pill on the hotbar saves ass!
sorry

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:13 pm

Molotovs are easy to make and use cheap ingredients. Couple that with some well-placed bear traps and a plank with nails and you're set for the rest of the meadow. Never used broken glass though since i assume it would do much damage, I could be wrong however

Need

Post by Need » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:36 pm

ok tomorrow i will try them.I have lots of rags,gas,matchsticks and even bottles maybe some alcohol....i will set world on fire :3
sorry