How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

All things Darkwood!
Nenjin

Re: How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Nenjin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:32 pm

I just like having some space around me. To lie down and what not. I arranged it that way too in case a monster bumps into the Wardrobes (which they have), they're pinned against an immovable object.

I've run the generator at night exactly once. I can see no real reason for using it right now, other than the desire to spend the night in a lit house. I haven't tried running it since night attacks ended either, so it's probably a thing you can test whether or not it draws enemies to the house.

Undeadenemy

Post by Undeadenemy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:08 pm

Ya night attacks ended for me as well after a while, I'm not sure if it's a bug or intentional.

As far as extra space goes, bringing in extra wardrobes from nearby places will help with that. Stack 3 long wardrobes along the long wall as you did the first one, then use the square wardrobe as a "capstone" for the end. Spend the night messing around, doing inventory, crafting, etc. During the day, push the your capstone back out of the way and go about your business.

RedrickJim

Post by RedrickJim » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:37 am

No more furniture cover, that worm will get ya!

Undeadenemy

Post by Undeadenemy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:27 pm

He didn't get me, but he did lag the house a lot when I had to burn off the mess he left. Game froze solid for about 2 minutes while it calculated the mass burning.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Didn't have that slowdown you experienced, but I burned off the crap in the morning.

Also he deposited all his junk in a corner of the room I don't occupy, so at least for the few days I've played 1.3 Alpha, it hasn't yet affected me.

Undeadenemy

Post by Undeadenemy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Ya, I think the creature they added is a cool idea if he would lag a little less, though I don't think it's a long-term solution to the problem.

One thing to do would be to have wardrobes not block visibility. If creatures could see over the top of them (and you could too) and also pull them away from the walls, that would solve it.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:12 am

I'd like if they still block visibility. While your solution is simpler and much quicker to implement, it basically would screw players. We'd be back to effectively standing in an open room waiting to die....or blowing through 3 days worth of scavenged supplies to protect ourselves for one night....which isn't scaleable.

This isn't really an easy problem to solve because it's a technical problem that needs to be flexible in its application. Which is why I suggest monsters be able to draw paths to a space enclosed by furniture. That way it's at least somewhat random if they'll discover the player or not. Solutions that just remove LOS blocking result in players getting attacked most of the time.

When my setup included one less wardrobe, creating a sort of L-shaped entrance to my corner of the room, monsters would still find me...but not consistently. Which tells me they're just effectively wandering and pathing around the room looking for a viable target. Sometimes they'll cover all spots of the room, sometimes they won't, sometimes they'll take too long getting into the room and run out of time. That level of randomness, with pathing that can still punch through players actively trying to obstruct LOS and pathing.....is what I think gets you the balance of survival at night being possible without being guaranteed.

It's worth noting that using the L-shaped wardrobe barrier.....not once did a monster walk into it. I'd just hear noise very close and then chomp chomp chomp. I've heard them shifting around other furniture in the room before, but pretty rarely. Monsters seem to treat movable objects as barriers unless they have no other option, but they still require a path around the object.

Need

Post by Need » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:32 pm

That damned WORM!I cant get to my items!

Edit : so its some fungus?Idk but that...that thing blocks acces to my items...and i cant get to my rags and alcoho or even gas!
Can i light it up with match?I have only one and i need it to light gasoline or craft molotov.
Last edited by Need on Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
sorry

Rednecklawrence

Post by Rednecklawrence » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Well, i found that this works for night survival. Its a little more resource intensive, but you can get odd meat and whatnot.

The room i hide in is the big one with the crate in it. i make sure im at the hideout before dark (If possible) and when it starts to get real dark, i turn on the generator, then run to the well. from there i drink from the well and run like a mother f#$%@! to the room i hide in. i push the bigger wardrobe infront the door and have all of the windows barricaded. I then just sit in the corner by the crate, avoiding windows, and wait for the morning. If, by chance, a monster starts beating a window, my first course of action is to get a bear trap. i put it infron the window hes bashin in, then dismantle the window to get materials back, instead of letting him destroy all of the materials. once he gets in the trap, i barricade the window and then beat the thing to death with whatever melee weapon i have. if more than one gets in, god help you. if i dont have a bear trap, then i use glass to slow it down/hurt it, then i try to beat it with melee weapons. if i dont have glass or a trap, good old gasoline helps. just put a little infront the window and when its in, light her up! then re-barricade of course. lastly, if something beats down/opens the door, i just keep pressing against the wardrobe blocking it, and it usually works.

Hope that helps! (A little complicated thought, eh?)
"It ain't illegal until you get caught" - Rene Soetaert

Need

Post by Need » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:17 pm

hey thats quite good startegy!I will sure try it and adapt it to my needs!
sorry