How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

All things Darkwood!
Sercullhor

Re: How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Sercullhor » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 pm

I usually don't even bother barricading the entire house, since that consumes too many resources. I focus on fortifying one room dragging wardrobes and lamps to it, avoiding combat as much as possible.

I block the giant hole in the wall with the wardrobe nearby. Even if the monsters push that to gain entry into your house, it at least tells you that a monster is in that specific room. Same thing with the stool, I place it in front of a door to tell me what room monsters might be in.

I tend to leave the generator on but turn off all the lights(this also reduces gas consumption), so any normal enemies that wander in will have a harder time spotting me and I can get the jump on a Chomper(too dangerous to leave alone). Naturally I turn on the lights/toss a flare if they found me or I want to fight.

I put wardrobes in front of windows since Chompers cannot open doors and have to break them down first, also putting a wardrobe in front of the window prevents the enemy from seeing me through the cracks of the window(potentially preventing an encounter in the first place). If I get the time for it I drag the other lamp outside near my fort-room, so if I have to abandon my house I can see where I am going and evaluate the threat outside my house (or run back to the house).

Rednecklawerence knows how to defend(I'm quite impressed with how quickly he caught on in fact), but I would like to add that if there are more than one Chomper you can throw a molotov at the barricades and the flames will spread to anything touching the barricade. I still prefer re barricading the window/door when destroyed rather than dismantling it and risk aggro'ng the horde though. But in a combat situation yes, when you know a Chomper is going to break through and you can't stop him lay a beartrap, have a molotov on hand if it gets hairy and keep it clean.

I haven't gotten the chance to try out 1.3 but I'll still leave one door to my fort-room un barricaded unless there is a banshee/Chomper knocking to conserve resources and give an escape route in case things get UGLY. Most people need to realize that if your house is overrun during nighttime(literally there is a horde of Chompers aggro'd busting down barricades) and you can't wait it out/defend then the best option is to sprint to the nearest fortified location and hope for the best.

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 am

I use the entire house o.o

Block off everything except the front doors and 1 window so I can escape. Setup bear traps or molotovs whenever monsters try to break the barricades, if a room gets out of hand I run to the next room with the stove. I do the same technique to all others and I can basically survive the night before I can even reach the final room.

The idea is to spread the monsters out as I move around the house. It's also more fun this way than hiding in closets.

The next morning I patch things up again.

Skruff

Post by Skruff » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Man, you guys all have been pretty thorough about this. XD

My strategy is basically taking the corner room (two doors, one window) and barricading one door and the window. Then, I pile all my bear traps, flares and excess wood and nails into that room. I default barricade one door and one window.

When night comes, I drink from the well, barricade the last door and pick up a couple bear traps. I wait until the enemies start attacking a barricade- as I've never seen an enemy change the barricade it's attacking- I drop a bear trap on the barricade that's being attacked, stand directly on the opposite side of it from the door/window, and wait in the dark for it to come in, get stuck, and beat it to death with a nail board.

If there are TWO monsters attacking barricades, I'll set up bear traps on both barricades, stand as close to the the opposite side from both doors as possible (so the enemies will make a straight line across the bear trap), and when the doors are about broken down, drop a flare, just in case one of them makes it around the bear trap and into the room, so I can see what I'm fighting.

Worst case scenario, if two enemies are coming from the SAME direction, bear trap and molotov and flare, ready to go.

Full disclosure, I've never actually had a banshee get in my house, so this is pretty much my strategy for dealing with Chompers.

As for out the field, I'm way more wreckless then you guys seem to be.

If I can have them, Military flashlight, batteries, axe and a gun are the mains. As SOON as I can upgrade something, I'll upgrade stamina twice, because now that creatures have feasible aggro distances, I'd much rather run away than try to fight a chomper in the dark woods.

If I'm going to a particularly hard mission (read: hunter-lynx, with the two chompers and hellhound), I'll consider bringing bear traps and try to catch enemies that way. I still never feel any guarantee that I'll make it out of ANY fight fine, I like the idea someone had for carrying two pistols, but I've only ever found one in my 5 playthroughs, so... And the pellet gun is not worth it at all since you can't reload while running. :P

Need

Post by Need » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Sooo whats your strategy after goo thing?
I put all wardrobes i stollen to cover windows.I move around a lot.And i have gasoline trail to my last uncovered window.
sorry

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:38 pm

So far I've changed nothing. It's seemingly random where the goo will show up, so for me it seems more like a "survival tax with a 10% chance of badness" than forcing me to do things differently.

Skruff

Post by Skruff » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:19 am

Honestly Need? Since it hasn't gotten to my corner room ever, I've just been ignoring it. XD Rather than waste the resources to burn it (since, you can't just throw a match onto it), I just leave it alone unless it's covering some of my stuff I need to get to.

Solaire

Post by Solaire » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:29 am

I am usually able to find enough resources to barricade the whole house by the end of day 2 and to cover the hole in the wall i just push the Wardrobe against it from the outside... That keeps basically everything except chompers away...
Even the goo only ever shows up on night 1 for me... I just burn it down and it doesn't come back (meaning it needs an opening to enter the building as well?)

As for dealing with chompers:
I usually hide in the room with the door to the outside because it doesn't have any windows... I realised that if you are fast enough you can actually rebarricade a door before the chomper breaks it (if you have enough resources)... Don't try this if you hear a Banshee though, as they will just open the door as soon as the barracde breaks!
In that case, just put a Bear-Trap as close to the door as possible and drop a flare for vision. The Chomper will enter first, get stuck in the Trap and block the way for the Banshee to come in, so you can just beat them down with your melee weapon... Rebarricade the door afterwards...

I have also noticed, that it takes a Chomper a little over an Ingame hour to break down a barricade + door... so if I hear one chomping at my house after 2, i just ignore it....

As for the generator:
I don't see any reason to use it as of now, because the only time i need vision at night is when I'm beeing attacked and then i just drop a flare (which you can basically find everywhere)... I rather use the gas to make molotovs...

Need

Post by Need » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:03 pm

Can somebody explain to me how to fight things?Like whats the pattern?Please?
sorry

lvl90001000

Post by lvl90001000 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:17 pm

Need wrote:Can somebody explain to me how to fight things?Like whats the pattern?Please?
Chompers charge, so I time it so they come to me and hit them before they get to me. Chompers also hit everytime they move towards you in phase 2, but it's easy to stay out of range of that while hitting them. Dogs are fast and harder to hit, so I have no particular strategy with them. Stick savages I make hit side to side before I go in, rock savages I run from or use a pistol on. I wouldn't suggest fighting ANYTHING with a Plank+nails, I only carry a plank+nails as a backup weapon.

Need

Post by Need » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:04 pm

I am totaly hopeless with meele weapons and since i abadoned my economy strategy and started using perks since they are realy usefull only with permadeath.That goes with everything.I have to learn how to fight like a real man.
sorry