How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

All things Darkwood!
Sercullhor

Re: How you deal with shit?tell me your strategy.

Post by Sercullhor » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Need wrote:Can somebody explain to me how to fight things?Like whats the pattern?Please?
Dog
Even the wooden plank has more range than a dog, so basically you want to back up and time your strikes to when the dog touches you. Dogs attack very quickly, so being at point-blank range is not recommended.

Huge Dog
Use a shotgun or something similar, if you miss immediately switch to your melee weapon. In melee it's the same as the dog, but far more dangerous.

Stick Savage
You want to stay at the tip of the Stick Savage's range to bait attacks, get out of range and IMMEDIATELY ready your weapon while he's doing either his "two swing strike" (he swings the stick twice not once) or his "downward strike"(raises his stick and swings down), after the second strike or the stick hits the floor walk in and hit him with your weapon then retreat. Repeat until he dies.

Rock Savage
The quickest way to do this would be to run at him, tank one rock and then continually strike him with attacks JUST before he throws a rock (he will raise an arm, release your attack then for maximum damage). The painless way of doing this would be to hide behind a tree, keeping the tree between the two of you and keep your weapon ready. Eventually, he will try to walk around the tree to find you and you can hit him. Fighting a Stick Savage supported by a Rock Savage is impossible, find a way to kill the Rock Savage first.

Red Chompers
They move slower when you are looking at them which is shown when their black murky veil is removed. They have a lunge range that is slightly longer than your weapon and attack slightly faster than any melee weapon, do not let a Chomper get at point-blank range. Get a good distance from the Chomper and ready your weapon, the INSTANT the Chomper's mouth opens, move in his direction and attack. After the first strike get some distance and try to repeat, if his mouth opens before you are fully charged just attack anyways. The reason you move towards the Chomper is to make up for your lack of range.

Black Chomper
The spawn of Satan. They will kill you in four-five hits at starting health, survive point-blank shotgun blasts, run very fast, are hard to see, attack faster(with a chance to immediately attack again at point-blank range), have a lunge range that is equivalent of the pistol's effective range, give the same loot as a Red Chomper and you cannot weaken them by looking at them. Use a gun(almost a full pistol clip or two shotgun blasts) or throw a molotov, I highly discourage fighting Black Chompers unless he is in your path. In melee it's pretty much the same as the Red Chomper except you need to remember that it's lunge range is much farther, meaning you should expect his mouth to open sooner than usual and attack then.

Shooting.
You want to aim your gun until your target takes up most or all of the firing angle, your firing angle become tighter if you are not moving so typically it's best to just let them come to you. I suggest switching to a melee weapon rather than running away and reloading, this can result in aggro'ng other monsters, tripping traps or letting the enemy get a free swing at you.

If something aggros on you and you don't know where it is, sprint in the direction you came until you can get your bearings and are prepared to fight.

Need

Post by Need » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks!Very helpfull!
I managed to learn how to fight chompers but dogs are imposible for me.
Also you should post this on wiki or make it guide on steam.Its very good.
sorry

lvl90001000

Post by lvl90001000 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Need wrote:Thanks!Very helpfull!
I managed to learn how to fight chompers but dogs are imposible for me.
Also you should post this on wiki or make it guide on steam.Its very good.
I suggest avoiding dogs more than chompers, I've explored most of the map while only having to fight at most 2 mutated dogs and no normal dogs.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:06 pm

Dogs are easy.

1. Identify the dog's location.

2. Face their direction.

3. Hold right click to wind up your swing.

4. Wait for the dog to rush you.

5. Left click as they get close.

6. Back up.

Repeat from Step 3 until it's dead.

The only times dogs are dangerous is when you can't see them before they attack, and when they aren't running straight at you. Then landing a strike is a little trickier. But as long as you can hit them hard enough to stumble them, they aren't that big of a threat.

Need

Post by Need » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Nenjin wrote:Dogs are easy.

1. Identify the dog's location.

2. Face their direction.

3. Hold right click to wind up your swing.

4. Wait for the dog to rush you.

5. Left click as they get close.

6. Back up.

Repeat from Step 3 until it's dead.

The only times dogs are dangerous is when you can't see them before they attack, and when they aren't running straight at you. Then landing a strike is a little trickier. But as long as you can hit them hard enough to stumble them, they aren't that big of a threat.
I will try it.Yet even though i now know pattern i find fighting dogs the hardest shit in game.
Also thank you too.
sorry

cjbrier08

Post by cjbrier08 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:08 am

In the woods, flares are your friend. illuminate some distances you wish to travel with them. also, throw down a bear trap here or there and run back to it if you get into a hot spot. the trap can work as your rally point.
Also, I'm lovin the shovel! The range makes fighting, pretty much everything, a whole lot easier. I can kite enemies around cornered objects, hitting them as we play ring around the rosie while they can't lunge or get in range to hit me back. It suits a more cautious and methodological fighting style, which for this type of game, works really well.

In the time it takes to explore every single thing on the map you should have enough resources to survive the nights without taking advantage of wardrobe turtling. very boring. I use the same strat as redneck but the circle of gas as a last resort sounds great!

Need

Post by Need » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:39 pm

I hate dogs with passion.
sorry

jordmaniakk

Post by jordmaniakk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:24 am

gday peoples, newbie here from down under. I am LOVING this game, its like Silent Hill atmosphere with an old-school GTA look! God bless indie games and alpha access. :)

I have a couple of question, if some of the more experienced players could help me out a bit (as there doesn't seem to be an extensive wiki on the game, though I'm sure that will change).

1) Wolfman's 'hideout'. Is this a later part of the game, or...? I just haven't found anything that could get through those vines, I'm not sure what to do about that, especially after finding Wolfman nearby above ground.

2) Generators. They are for something, but I can never turn them on, and when gas is in my inventory I can't power them, there is no + next to the circular item. It just tries to switch on and fails, and I can't seem to do anything about it, unless I'm missing something obvious

3) Someone talked about using mushrooms as currency. How is this done?? I think it was the OP who said he makes antidotes out of them..... how?? Do I need to meet someone new to trade with to find a new crafting option or....?

oh, and I've never seen anything displaying the in-game time.... and you guys are talking about skill upgrades I have never seen... is this just because I am pretty much still at the beginning? Are all upgrades done using that mushroom thing and buying recipes?

Other than this, I am loving this game, it really sucks me in, despite the fact I have died about 15 times in my 20 days *facepalm
Last edited by jordmaniakk on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waismuth

Post by Waismuth » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:45 am

Wolfman's 'hideout' might be a bit tricky to find, just as anything really, as everything is randomly generated. And what vines are you asking about? You mean the deeper parts of the woods? You need a flashlight for this I guess. You just need to be thorough in your search, as sometimes you can spend two weeks looking for a location, and sometimes it's just outside your hideout (random generation :P)

To power a generator you need to put a gas canister in your hotbar, equip it and holding RMB click the LMB, just as you swing a weapon, near the generator. The icon should change to "fill". But frankly, I never use the generator, it wastes the gas pretty easily, and it's much more useful for burning the fungi that's gonna grow in your house. You just spill some of the gasoline on the fungi and throw a match on it. Again, right click to light it, and left to throw.

About the shrooms, you can get an antidote recipe in the drawer in chicken lady house. It's on the shelf in the same room as she. You need one shroom to make one dose of antidote. As you get shrooms when you drink from the well, it's easy to get some cash in a few days. You can sell the antidotes for about 40 rep. each if I remember correctly.

jordmaniakk

Post by jordmaniakk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 pm

okay so I didn't realise all this is randomly generated... wow that makes this game even more impressive.

But... I have done some pretty thorough exploring, found a giant spider that I wasn't sure what to do with, I've roamed around quite a bit. My question though is: Wolfman says the chicken lady is to the southwest. Now, a) this is a randomly generated level, so does that line match? If not why is it there? and b) i've had two encounters with him, in two very different locations, and both times - to the southwest. I'm not sure I can go any further south-west to be honest.

Re- the vines - I find Wolfmans hideout, I go inside, underground I guess it is, some sort of tunnel. You get through a bit of the tunnel and then text comes up saying something about vines blocking the way. But you guys have talked about pouring gas on the ground, I didn't even realise that was an option, so maybe that is the answer.

thanks muchly for the help! I had a feeling that I didn't have the antidote recipe cos I haven't found this chicken lady yet, despite finding everything from churches to pig farms to 'camps' that I didn't feel like going near to houses with wierd-ass people in them. No chicken lady though =/

Heh, and as for nights, I think I have survived two. By hiding and not moving - super fun. But when all you have is a freaking board with nails in it I don't understand how I could stand a chance when wolves and other creepy shit start roaming around! The combat in this is just brutal, three or four hits puts you down, and when that happens all those shrooms you collected disappear. Probably the shittiest part of the game for me - I get that you have to punish dying, but your gear already takes a fair hit if you do. At least let me keep all the shrooms... that I can now never pick again =/

/rant over