Alpha 2 - your impressions

All things Darkwood!
Need

Alpha 2 - your impressions

Post by Need » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:17 pm

You can get lost finaly.
Traveling through the wood is scarier than before.
Gates to the new biomes are awesome thing.
Reworked combat is awesome.
Buckets!
sorry

Waismuth

Re: Alpha 2 - your impressions

Post by Waismuth » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:35 pm

The bunnies are at least as twice as abundant in quantity than before. My soul couldn't be happier <3

Null Winter

Post by Null Winter » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Yes; the lagomorphs are quite delectable.

I vote we call this the Big Bucket Update. The map was made larger, and people seem focused on the addition of multiple hideouts.

Combat feels a bit more fluid, and exploration is actually easier now that there are natural boundaries. Difficulty pacing is more streamlined due to spawn zones for enemy types. Gasoline is more precious now thanks to the saw mills; no more Molotov fests for people who ignore the generator.
Is it cold? If so, then I am content.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 pm

I see they moved the locked crate.

And apparently enemies have a new strategy for those of us hiding behind dressers. They'll just ram the dresser and pin you in the corner until nightfall and you get the sickness and die. No amount of pushing against the dresser or pulling it then pushing it will budge it. I had a savage on my tail when I went into the house and he followed me right to the dresser and trapped me.

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:50 am

I don't know what changes were made to combat. All i know is that i kick major chomper ass but savages seem to get the better of me every time. The saw is out of balance with the fuel amount it takes to make 4 planks. Especially since finding planks is very common... Since it takes a chomper only 3 hits to take down a baricade its a extreme waste to spend so much fuel on planks to barricade up, while it will be taken down that fast.

Need

Post by Need » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:15 pm

You can now dodge and do special attack without perks (you must have weapons in your hands)
sorry

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:58 pm

I know that but Savages appear to be more agile or something. As a result Hideout 1 scares me more then hideout 3

Waismuth

Post by Waismuth » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:00 pm

That's right about savages I guess. They've gotten pretty buffed up recently. Their one hit takes about 1/5; 1/4 off the window barricade.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Savages are definitely nastier. They no longer seem to have that super long, super telegraphed overhead attack. It's a much quicker jab, like the player's power attack with the stick. I beat the crap out of a Red Chomper with a nailboard with relatively little problem, but stick savages are deadly in melee range now.

I've put in probably 8 hours now, gotten to the 2nd hideout, explored The Forest a bit.

Generally it's all an improvement. The map zones give the world a little more definition and guidance. I do think a little bit was lost though, as I kinda enjoyed the random openness of the previous map. But it's hard to say the changes aren't better.

I don't really see the combat rebalance so much. If anything combat feels a little bit harder now

It's good that night attacks last forever now. Hiding is still the least problematic way to survive a night, and I still generally find myself hoarding everything and having little to no need for gas and lights.

The little "islands" of activity in the forest are cool, the different camps of savages or the maze or what not. Hoping to see a lot more of those, they're what brings exploration to life.

A couple complaints:

-The tentacle carpet is really overkill. You're likely to get 1 patch a night until there's no more areas it can be spawned. Why waste precious gas and alcohol trying to fight it? It'll never show up in two critical places: the space in front of the stove where you respawn, and the room or section the player spends the night in. If the stuff is going to grow that fast, that consistently, it either needs to decay over time, or we need more tools to fight it than just molotovs.

-7 locked crates in a row with exactly nothing in them. I mean come on!

-That said, it almost feels like there's a bit too much loot when you do find it. I've gotten like 6 flashlights just from Petrov's house and its containers.

-I think I kinda preferred the look of the old shader on the trees, but without something to compare to it's hard to say.

All in all, a nice patch and step up from Alpha 1.