Anyone found a better weapon than the Pistol ?

All things Darkwood!
Muttley

Anyone found a better weapon than the Pistol ?

Post by Muttley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:35 pm

I've searched through two wrecked tank locations and found a second Pistol, but nothing else. Trying to get my hands on a shotgun or SMG.

Waismuth

Re: Anyone found a better weapon than the Pistol ?

Post by Waismuth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:41 pm

I guess you could find the second best gun (the rifle) on the farm. But I think it was pre alpha 2. Shutgun is pretty fun too, can kill pretty much anything in one shot. But it has a very small range :P Never found the smg myself tho. Wolf has AK on him I believe.

Muttley

Post by Muttley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:33 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've already cleared the farm chest in Meadow (twice). I have pretty much explored all of Forest and have not ventured into the Woods yet. It's day 50 but there is a lot to do if you like hoarding stuff lol.

I have seen on videos that the Woods is a really nasty place and I don't want to go there with this crappy Pistol. I have already amassed a lot of ammo for each weapon, but just can't find the weapons themselves.

I know where the AK and SMG are but they require codes and I am not one for cheating the codes hehe. The shotty would be super awesome though.

Waismuth

Post by Waismuth » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:47 pm

My main problem with guns in Darkwood is that when you get something better than plank with nails the game is mostly stripped off its horror aspects. I mean, the game is scariest at the time when you don't have your watch and the flashlight yet. After you get all those guns, even a stroll in the Old Woods isn't that scary. It's quite creepy, but you're feeling much more secure now. I know it's pretty hard to balance the spooky aspect of the game with the survival-crafting side, but chompers and savages aren't as menacing when you've maxed out your backpack and hotbar and have 6 fields in stamina and 4 in health.
Oh and you're talking about the burned houses, what I meant was the farm. I don't know where it is now, but before alpha 2 it was hidden quite well. It was the only place apart from the hideout which featured the well. The rifle must still be somewhere I guess. It wasn't in the woodsman's house (alpha 2). SMG and AK must be overpowered as hell. For me the shotgun fits really well with the game's theme. It's not too powerful, because you need to get closer to the enemy. Plus I like the old timey double barreled action :P And the rifle is quite fun too. It's single action, but you can really snipe with it from afar. It has got pretty amazing reach.

Muttley

Post by Muttley » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:05 am

I guess that's why you don't get anything decent until the last biome. It took me 30 days to realize there was a fast attack (middle mouse button) so I struggled for ages lol.

It has taken a fair amount of grinding to get myself a nest-egg of supplies, my Forest hideout is a fortress now. I even stole furniture from the crazy pig farmer hehe.

But after 50 days and 20+ hours even the survival with an Axe is kinda stripped away, so fighting in the woods will be a welcome challenge even without guns. I'm just not a fan of the Pistol.

black silence

Post by black silence » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:01 pm

I found a single-shotgun in a random chest in the old woods.
Don't reset combo locks!

Muttley

Post by Muttley » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:39 am

I started another game and I got the single shotty at some house and then found a 8 shot shotty in a random chest in the woods 20 minutes later lol. That weapon is badass too!

black silence

Post by black silence » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:57 pm

First time I hear about 8x shotgun, wiki doesn't know about it either. Grats!
Don't reset combo locks!

Muttley

Post by Muttley » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:08 pm

I didn't know it existed either. At first I left it in the chest because it has the same icon as the single, but upon returning my eyes bulged when I read the description. I haven't got the AK yet but this is definitely the best weapon I have used by far.

But yeah, the wiki is kind of useless at this point, it doesn't even have Hideout 3 as a location :O

ShadyS

Post by ShadyS » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:26 am

Instead of complaining about wiki uselessness you can add some pages there by yourself. And I thought that 8x shotgun is a joke :?