Sell me on it!

All things Darkwood!
Hector_Hale

Sell me on it!

Post by Hector_Hale » Sat May 25, 2013 3:43 am

Hey there I'm new on the forums but I saw Darkwood on Steam Greenlight and it immediately piqued my interest. I have been seriously debating supporting Darkwood but my money is a limited resource. So I just want to ask the community what they think will be their favorite part of Darkwood, why they decided to support it, and what dollar amount they think the game is worth. Don't forget about the why! I'll be checking back regularly.

luke

Re: Sell me on it!

Post by luke » Sat May 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Hello, Hector! :)

Reading over it, I feel like my reply is rambling, but..

I am not much of a horror gamer (Project Zomboid is the only "scary" game I've played, unless you count Minecraft.. Sssssss....) but I have always valued content and gameplay depth over graphics or popularity, e.g. I would rather play Dwarf Fortress than Call of Duty. Acid Wizard Studio seems very devoted to making absolutely positive their game is very deep in the horror feeling they want to convey, as well as the mysterious setting and feel, but, judging by the pre-alpha gameplay video thing, it also has great overhead graphics! A benefit of making a game 2D rather than 3D is that a lot of the time spent coding the 3D elements could instead be spent on game content and depth. It looks like they have put enormous thought into creating their setting and atmosphere, which attracted me as well.

Another thing, which is perhaps silly, is how smoothly the doors opened in the trailer o.O I supported the game because, like you, it appeared interesting and innovative. I admire indie developers; many 'mainstream' games seem, to me, at least, all similar or slight variations on each other, all trying to outdo one another to get the most money, but I feel, while perhaps not in all cases, indie developers care more about the product than the profit.

I would, assuming the Acid Wizards deliver all they promise (which I have absolutely no reason to think they wont :D ) gladly pay the standard $60 retail price many new games go for. Had I the money to spare, I would gladly finish off the $40,000 the Indiegogo campaign too ;) Why? I think Darkwood has great potential to reach a large audience of players in a few years, when the game is made. So far, it looks extremely well thought-out and implemented

I hope this is the 'why' you were looking for, and I hope you decide to help Darkwood out! :)

--Luke

stealerofchildren
Supporter

Post by stealerofchildren » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

This game first caught my eye on the Project Zomboid forums and later on Steam Greenlight. I plan on buying the Early Bird Apprentice pack for 15 $ this weeked to support the project. If the team does not reach the deadline within 10 days they will most likely shut down the game. We will never know what it could have been or how amazing it could have become. And even if it is shutdown, you will receive a full refund. But unlike the other guy above me I feel that $ 15 is enough to support this game and show that you care. This game has great potential and I too would happily pay the remaining $ 16,000 if I had that much.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Wed May 29, 2013 5:30 am

Watch the gameplay trailers, then buy it. The game is only 10$ ;)
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

Scrax

Post by Scrax » Wed May 29, 2013 12:06 pm

If the trailers and everything you read about it isn't enough to convince you, take a look at how they include their community.
Holding on anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die.

UndeadGuru
VIP

Post by UndeadGuru » Wed May 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Scrax wrote:If the trailers and everything you read about it isn't enough to convince you, take a look at how they include their community.
btw Scrax I like your avatar
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.

Scrax

Post by Scrax » Wed May 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank ye' :)
Holding on anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die.

Hector_Hale

Post by Hector_Hale » Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

I did decide to support it I can't wait to play darkwood whenever it does come out.