The things I didnt like about alpha 2

All things Darkwood!
Kennedee
Supporter

The things I didnt like about alpha 2

Post by Kennedee » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:56 am

As it says the title, there is just one thing, that i didn't like about the last update. It is the map and new zones idea.
I used to get lost in Darkwood every time I went out from the hideout, and I was always scared about night, because i had to get home, some how, but with the map system of alpha 1 I couldn't get any tips frome the map, that was fu**ing terrifing, and I loved that part of the game, but now, I go to the woods, and the the game says that i should get back to the hideout..., somehow it's pretty easy to get home :|, man, I need to say, I want the last kind of map back, second, i feel that there's just weak enemies in the surroundings of the hideout. Idk, this is a survival experience, I liked the idea of finding at the first footage outside, in the woods, find enemies (for giving an example) from level 1 to level max, I feel like this update just give the chance to live in darkwood, not survive.
as resume I didn't like:

1.- I dont get lost in the woods, that's bad!, that's a joke (to me as founder), i need to be afraid of getting lost in the woods again, plssssss D:
2.- I can easiely survive to darwood in the first zone, that's not any challenge

Thinking about the "why" of all this, the change of the zones make the map smaller, i guess thats the reason i dont get lost, and second, i guess every zone has more or less difficulty.

Thanks for reading this far, I hope this can help to improve darkwood

aaaaand coming back to the woods :D

The Doctor

Re: The things I didnt like about alpha 2

Post by The Doctor » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:15 pm

Kennedee wrote:I used to get lost in Darkwood every time I went out from the hideout, and I was always scared about night, because i had to get home, some how, but with the map system of alpha 1 I couldn't get any tips frome the map, that was fu**ing terrifing, and I loved that part of the game, but now, I go to the woods, and the the game says that i should get back to the hideout..., somehow it's pretty easy to get home :|, man, I need to say, I want the last kind of map back.
Granted, navigation is a little easier now that the map is not just one conglomerate mess but thats just one of the side-effects of splitting it up into leveled sections, which I think was a step in the right direction. I guess to circumvent this they could afford to make the sections slightly larger then they are now. Everything does seem quite close to your hideout, especially in the "forest" zone.
second, i feel that there's just weak enemies in the surroundings of the hideout. Idk, this is a survival experience, I liked the idea of finding at the first footage outside, in the woods, find enemies (for giving an example) from level 1 to level max, I feel like this update just give the chance to live in darkwood, not survive.
The "meadow" zone is meant to be easy, like a sort of introduction to the Darkwood world. Perhaps you're just getting used to the game?

Kennedee
Supporter

Post by Kennedee » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:58 pm

Perhaps you're just getting used to the game?
yeah, I guess thats a point about why I think the game is a lot easier than before. But I was expecting the first idea of the game, a game about surviving and learning from your deaths, not your mistakes. Idk if you are one of the ones who knew Darkwood much time before was founded, when there was just the first alpha video. All that I knew, was that I'd die a lot of times before I survive the first night and I think with this update, that idea is lost.

In my point of view, they went in a wrong direction when they tried to guarantee the safety of the player in their first steps in Darkwood.

I know that if I go too deep in the woods, the story will change a lot more and it will be a deadly decision, but I insist help the player at the very beginning was a wrong choice.

Muttley

Post by Muttley » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:41 pm

I'd like to see more monsters and beasts active during the day. Seems kind of barren.

ShadyS

Post by ShadyS » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:02 pm

I strongly disagree with your opinion, Kennedee, and that's why. Game is not easier that before, it's just more adequate (balanced). With new generation system we have 3 levels instead of one, that looks unique, beautiful and detailed. This levels are splitted by the difficulty (normal, hard, deadly) and if you feel that it's too much happiness for you, walk a happy journey through the Old Woods.
-- Earlier you could finish a chapter for 1 playthrough. Now I played 4 hours and even didn't was outside of meadow once.
-- Earlier you could just remember where the middle of world is and never NEVER get lost. Now you should use local "zero points" for every location and landmarks to travel between your hideouts.
And you never should be directed to learn from death in any game. If it is so, then it's a bad game or death is not a punishment at all. If you die - you did wrong. Always. How do you even expect to play through such deadly game design with permadeath enabled? In SURVIVAL game you should use all that you got to survive at the most critical situations and Darkwood gives you lots of opportunities to survive with your intelligence and to die with your stupidity.

threeofwands

Post by threeofwands » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:56 pm

The beginning is easier, there's no doubt about it, but for me it's mostly because of how much I've played the game. I go through the meadow quite quickly and then it takes me time to work through the forest. I start getting really close to death (or flat out dying) as soon as I hit the old woods though. If you haven't gotten to the old woods yet, you should wait on your opinion of this. You'll easily get lost there.

If I were a first-time player, I'm certain I would have a harder time. The combat takes getting used to and without knowing what you'll need later, you'll use up much more of the critical resources before getting to the next zone.
Useless agendas make a useless breed, all you can eat in a world of need.
A discount price for all your good deeds; tell me isn't that all you need?