Can't see where the hell I'm going

All things Darkwood!
Shoddy

Can't see where the hell I'm going

Post by Shoddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:10 am

Just bought this tonight. The introduction sequence was brilliant, but I'm having some serious issues with the camera that kill my enjoyment with the game. Limiting the angle of vision makes perfect sense, but limiting the range of the player's sight is a severe handicap in an exploration game.

I didn't have any problems in the intro, because it consisted of a building and a few narrow paths. In an environment like that, the camera works well, because you don't need to see very far. What's important is what's happening in your immediate vicinity. Limiting the field of view makes sense here, because it adds to the atmosphere. Not knowing what is around the next corner builds tension and encourages the player to be cautious.

Then, I was set loose in the sandbox, and it all fell apart.

The short range of sight was an immediate nuisance that plagued me constantly throughout the game. I didn't have a problem navigating through small rooms, but the sandbox is a vast open space, and landmarks are few and far between. I keep stumbling blindly into landmarks and creatures that I should have been able to see minutes ago, and in my most recent game, I spent nearly an entire day walking back and forth between various landmarks looking for my house. Somehow, I managed to walk past it three or four times before night came and the monsters caught me just because I never quite got close enough for it to enter the screen.

In any game about exploration, it is vitally important for the player to be able to see as far as possible. That's why most sandbox games have a 3d camera that the player can rotate freely to look wherever they want, like in GTA. Obviously, 2d games can't have that, so they have use a variety of features to make up for the lack of vision, most commonly some sort of map screen, but unlike Darkwood, most map screens have a marker to show where the player is. As it stands, I find it too easy to get lost is in the open spaces.

I'll admit I've only had a few hours of play time, and maybe this is something you just get used to, but it seems to me that the mere act of navigating an open meadow in broad daylight shouldn't be this difficult. Is anyone else having this problem?

Need

Re: Can't see where the hell I'm going

Post by Need » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:08 pm

On what resolution are you playing?If you pc can handle higher one than you are using right now it sure helps a lot.
Also try look with your mouse cursor.There is small vision on it.
Also setting gamma up helps too.

As for navigating.Always take straight line to the place you are going and try to remember paterns of the trees and little things around you.

Navigating is much easier than it used to be in Alpha 1.
Dont worry you will get used to exploring.

try reading through this : http://goo.gl/Dfq22D it helps a lot surviving the nights and generaly surviving.
sorry

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 pm

Shoddy wrote:Just bought this tonight.
There's your problem, you haven't given the game enough time. This game has a steep learning curve and you should expect to die quite a bit before you get to grips with what you should be doing. This games premise was built on being difficult so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be easy. The lack of sight is just another element of the game that is against you in your struggle for survival.

You will have to learn to rely on the use of cardinal directions, landmarks and other points of reference in order to navigate Darkwood. It does take a while but eventually you will become familiar with the games nuances.

Alternatively you can search this forum or the wiki for help, but I think that researching info on the wiki tends to ruin the Darkwood experience, especially since discovering things for yourself is such a satisfying feeling.

Need

Post by Need » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:21 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Shoddy wrote:Just bought this tonight.
There's your problem, you haven't given the game enough time. This game has a steep learning curve and you should expect to die quite a bit before you get to grips with what you should be doing. This games premise was built on being difficult so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be easy. The lack of sight is just another element of the game that is against you in your struggle for survival.

You will have to learn to rely on the use of cardinal directions, landmarks and other points of reference in order to navigate Darkwood. It does take a while but eventually you will become familiar with the games nuances.

Alternatively you can search this forum or the wiki for help, but I think that researching info on the wiki tends to ruin the Darkwood experience, especially since discovering things for yourself is such a satisfying feeling.
+1
sorry

Shoddy

Post by Shoddy » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:00 pm

Need wrote:On what resolution are you playing?If you pc can handle higher one than you are using right now it sure helps a lot.
The highest I can go is 1280x800. Sadly, I just have a dinky little laptop screen. I'm still saving up my shekels for a proper gaming PC. I have a few widescreens in my closet I could hook up, though, and some of my steam friends are telling me they run the game at a much higher resolution, so my problem is probably easy enough to solve.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:12 am

Currently the view range is limited by your resolution, so playing on a 1920x1200 screen vs 1200x800 means you see 50% more space around your character. We hope to address this in the future, but for now I'm afraid it's "easier" to play on larger resolutions.

ShadyS

Post by ShadyS » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Gustaw wrote:Currently the view range is limited by your resolution, so playing on a 1920x1200 screen vs 1200x800 means you see 50% more space around your character. We hope to address this in the future, but for now I'm afraid it's "easier" to play on larger resolutions.
Whoa, didn't knew that. :O
Changing my 1280x1024 square to normal full HD monitor soon and gonna check out the difference. Anyways, I had no problems playing. Specially with advanced vision skills.
Interesting, what would see guys with 4k resolution? 8-)

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:21 pm

ShadyS wrote:Interesting, what would see guys with 4k resolution? 8-)
Blurry pixels :P The resolution is capped at 1920x1200px.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:56 pm

Darkwood could try to do what Project Zomboid does. Basically if you mouse past the edge of the screen it unlocks the camera from your character. Lets you look away ahead of where your character is standing. Wouldn't help a ton for Darkwood as you wouldn't be able to see anything out there anyways. But it might help people orient themselves a littl better.

Need

Post by Need » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 am

it would go for hotline miami shift-looking
sorry