Essence of the Night

All things Darkwood!
SmileOnMyFace

Essence of the Night

Post by SmileOnMyFace » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:44 pm

Ok so ive been playing the alpha 3 for a bit, and beyond a few personal frustrations about permadeath being way harder, things are looking much more enjoyable now. However, i really cant seem to get the "want more essence - look for it during the night" part. Not to spoil anything for people still looking forward to the new content, but the only thing i found so far is the red bugs being attracted to the shambling sludge infesting the floors of the hideouts. Im pretty sure i havent seen or heard anything else out of the ordinary in the first and second hideout after 25 days of survival, and i wasnt just hugging the generator with a wardrobe against my back. Honestly, is it supposed to be that challenging to find that extra essence? After getting irritated of sneaking around my own house(s), I literally got my ass chomped off like 10 times by the big black when i tried to find more clues to this mysterious source of essence by running blindly around the hideout at night (with a lamp/flashlight equipped). No luck there either. Ill try enduring the last hideout, but something tells me im missing something very basic here. If any of you guys found something, just tell me its there (without actually spoiling exactly how to find it :evil: ) so i can keep getting torn apart, but with hope. thanks.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Essence of the Night

Post by Gustaw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:49 pm

During the night, mushrooms will spawn inside (and outside) of your hideout, and will make weird noises. Be sure to keep the lights on and look for them if you want to level up. If you're not seeing them, then maybe it's a bug :(

Oh, and DO NOT go outside for longer than several seconds ;)

SmileOnMyFace

Post by SmileOnMyFace » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Well, I'm 35 days in, virtually finished the chapter, and now brazenly stroll around the third hideout at night shooting things. So far i havent seen anything grow anywhere. Pretty sure i didnt hear that creepy mushroom noise either. Talking about bugs, I did encounter a few which i will discuss in the apprpriate section once i can recreate and document them (yes, all of my generators turned into perpetual motion drives, again). These allowed me to explore the hideouts without caution, and i swear on my lucky axes i found no shrooms to feast upon. Ill try rerolling and see if it helps, since this save was up before the hotfixes came in.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:02 pm

Could you send us your save files along these instructions?

SmileOnMyFace

Post by SmileOnMyFace » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:09 pm

Ill do the proper bug report in a bit. For now, starting a new game seems to have done the trick - the mushrooms spawn like clockwork.

P.S. Happy Holidays! Hope this year will bring plentiful boons to this magnificent game and its brilliant creators.

Lucidius

Post by Lucidius » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:07 am

Hmm, started a new game and no mushrooms at night inside the base. Do they not grow if there is light anywhere in the room, or if there is light on the spot where they 'spawn' at?