Alpha 3 from a new players perspective.

All things Darkwood!
56er

Alpha 3 from a new players perspective.

Post by 56er » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:32 pm

First, Hello to everybody on the forums. Glad to be here.

I've just recently started playing Darkwood. I'm usually more the shooter or Strategy Gameguy, but Darkwood looked and feeled right. Well...it's an alpha.

I wanted to discuss severall topic in here.
Mainly the night/shadow/permadeath thing, that seems to be new iwth alpha 3.

I've to say, that, without mending the game, I find all of the decisions done rather bad. Why, you ask?
Okay, I can play without permadeath, making me die every night, as I don't to give fuel to my generator, as it can't even keep the light on, for even one night with one canister of fuel pumped into it (I'll go into that topic later).
When I wake up, I can simply go to the hideout and pick my stuff up.

Thus, without permadeath, the "shadows" perk is not anything else, than rather annoying.
For the sake of getting into Darkwood, I would recommend that while you play, instead of picking permadeath on and off, you can start a game on easy or explore mode. No permadeath, no shadows, longer days for you to stroll around in the woods and find stuff, getting used to everything.
This mode should be limited in some way, maybe you cannot go beyond the starting area, maybe you wont find most of the creepy random locations, so you cannot spoil the survival and horror elements by having an easy time pickung your gear up.

Next thing would be a normal mode, with permadeath, after you saved. So if you die, you can just wake up, all your progress is vanished. But you still can play from the last time you saved (Day 6,7, etc.). This can get you into the game, but still would not reward try and error tactics, as you die to much in the process.

The last mode would be the "real" permadeath mode. You die, gameover, start at day 1, waking up next to Wolf.

The next thing is the generator at(and the night. I've pumped it with 1 and 5/6 cannisters of gas, and still it's sucked dry before the night ends. I only switch one light on, and hide in a corner. While the light is still one, and on experiment, the savages outside have shown that the can climb in via the windows (as I feared), they still won't to that. I mean, the AI must be ten times dumb to not go investigate the only light in a pitch black forest.
While it would be unbearable via gameplay terms for savages coming into your hideout in the first nights, this also heavly breaks the survival and ingame immersion. This may sound very lush to you, but the nights a doomed to be a boring sit in the corner, don't do anything right now. They are, in no way fun and let me feel that I play an aplha version, rahter than having a AAA Survival Experience (of what Darkwood manages to get many things right imo already).

The next thing is how the generator ends up winding up all my fuel. In the barn that houses it, there is some odd creep. As a real noob question, is that what causes the waste of my fuel? I've also heard the savages open the door to the barn. Can they rob your fuel? How can you defend against this?

In conclusion, the nights feel more like a frustrating minigame, that if you don't have the some decent gear to fend of any invaders, limits you to sit and wait in a corner at night. There is no walking around, collecting mushrooms. No doing anything in the house.

Bandwagonman

Re: Alpha 3 from a new players perspective.

Post by Bandwagonman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 am

I don't like the Shadows mechanic either, though I'm not too sure why you're having so much trouble keeping your generator fueled. A whole tank of gas should be more than enough to keep a single light on all night.

I think the savage's AI was changed this patch, I'm already more than halfway done with this playthrough and I've yet to have a single enemy try and break down a barricade. It might be a consequence of the new stealth system where light and sound is more important but in different ways, I don't know lol.

Yep, nights have always pretty much been a pain in my opinion. No, the creep does not affect your fuel and nor can the savages steal it. The creep is caused by giant bugs that spawn during the night and the creep can be burned away with gas or molotovs.

Anyways, welcome to the forums and welcome to the game! I think this most recent patch has been somewhat of a dud, not as good as the last two for sure, but we'll see!

56er

Post by 56er » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Thank you for your reply. MAybe it's just a bug, but I'll just try to get a new game started.

Still, the ai is really stupid if they don't go after the light. They can climb inside if they see you or got provocted by you...
Still on regurlar they just lurk outside.
I guess the whole "don't go out at night" thing makes the game rather feel broken at night...

Rednecklawrence

Post by Rednecklawrence » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:06 am

Ok, that was wayyyyy too much bitching. the alpha three is way better than two and one (You'd have to had played in alpha 1 & 2 to understand). Also, you're a new player meaning you haven't had time to get used to it yet. I'm pretty sure we have all felt this way about darkwood at first. ITS MEANT TO BE FU#KING HARD. And that's what most people don't get. This is not a game for people looking for a stroll in the woods. Its for people who want a challenge. And the whole generator thing? Must be a bug. That's why its in alpha.
"It ain't illegal until you get caught" - Rene Soetaert

Bandwagonman

Post by Bandwagonman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 am

I disagree, Alpha 3 has been the worst so far, though it isn't terribad in any regard.
The whole shadow mechanic is boring, ruins nighttime immersion, and doesn't even succeed at the intended goal since you can just camp in the light of the oven at night without ever needing to use the generator at all. While I don't agree with 56er's suggestions on the permadeath mechanics, he does have a point. If and when the shadows kill you, you're likely to be at the hideout, and dropping your inventory at the hideout isn't even close to a punishment for death. It reduces nighttime to pure tedium, simply waiting until morning as there is nothing to do. Enemies no longer care to attack, there's no point in searching for nighttime flora since you get plenty of it from just exploring, so why not just hide in a corner by the oven and wait? It's boring and sucks.

Rednecklawrence

Post by Rednecklawrence » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:33 pm

no, the shadow mechanic is meant to stop people from barricading themselves in a corner because really, that's not the point of darkwood. And in playing Alpha 3, enemies have attacked me (lots in fact) breaking down window barricades, opening doors, etc. And I think that dropping your items is much better than all items losing health, mutated items disappearing, and losing perks. But that's just me.

Need

Post by Need » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:16 pm

I think making them appear in every dark area not just during night would be better.taking stroll through the woods without light on would be bad idea and much more terryfing.

also they shouldnt just "suck" your health.I think making them attack you from every direction making you stumble and see bloody marks would be better.also make them attract other enemies.

just give them power!
sorry

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Yes, we agree that the current implementation of shadows is bad, and needs to be worked on. We're not sure what direction we want to go with them yet though.

As for the gasoline usage stated by 56er - that must be a bug.

Rednecklawrence

Post by Rednecklawrence » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Perhaps have shadow "people" that spawn and stay in the shadows? And dissapate if they contact sufficient amounts of light? That would be interesting.

56er

Post by 56er » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 pm

Rednecklawrence wrote:Ok, that was wayyyyy too much bitching. the alpha three is way better than two and one (You'd have to had played in alpha 1 & 2 to understand). Also, you're a new player meaning you haven't had time to get used to it yet. I'm pretty sure we have all felt this way about darkwood at first. ITS MEANT TO BE FU#KING HARD. And that's what most people don't get. This is not a game for people looking for a stroll in the woods. Its for people who want a challenge. And the whole generator thing? Must be a bug. That's why its in alpha.
Not to flame you, but you deliver no point here but guilt me for bitching, while I hinted in the title that I didn't play Alpha 1 & 2. That is more of what I would call bitching ;)

Maybe the biggest negative that I see in the current Night/Shadow meachnic, is that it robs you of half of the days gameplay. I cannot go out at night, I feel that is bad for a horror game. Rather than keep me in the light, give me a good reason to go outside. In the trailers, there is often a hald dark daytime, and that is a thing that I currently miss.
I have started a new playthrough and decided not to take any perks att all, so I can save my fuel for more important things and trade the mushrooms. Currently I just wait inside the hideout for the next day in the dark. :roll:

Maybe, as a suggestion, some locations/things/enemies/events only appear/happen in the night time. So instead of blocking half the day and scaring people away from exploring the night and it's terrors, this would give me a real reason to stroll out in the black darkness and try to figure out what is going on in the Darkwood.