Alpha 3 from a new players perspective.

All things Darkwood!
Nenjin

Re: Alpha 3 from a new players perspective.

Post by Nenjin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Just my two cents but....

Nighttime as players have learned to deal with it has ALWAYS BEEN BORING. Nothing on that front has changed. You box yourself into a wall and you wait. Shadows just mean I have to occasionally pull out a light source. The AI need to "know" you're there is functionally no different than prior to the update; enemies would walk around wanting to get to you but being unable to reach you....now they wander around not knowing you're there, because if you've always been playing by backing yourself into a corner behind a wardrobe, you've always been as safe and as quiet as possible.

Personally, I think game should stop trying to find ways to punish people who hide behind wardrobes. Mobs should be capable of grabbing and moving those objects, so if they DO enter the house, and DO detect us, they can do something about it. Rather than "Monsters can't directly do anything to players behind objects, so we'll add more stuff that can get around objects, to make their lives more painful." The worm is basically the first iteration of this thinking, the shadows are the second.

MAJOR

Post by MAJOR » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:45 pm

The idea of implenting a certain extra danger during the night is a smart choice considering the lack of things you are able to do other than sit the night out and pray you don't fall prey to the monsters lurking outside. Most people will just sit in the corner and wait. The new shadow people are a great concept though I have a suggestion:

Instead of sucking your health and generally being more annoying than actually challenging you could try to reduce their abilities to something less agressive, like a certain screen effect and stat changer for example. Afflicted people could for example not run and have a kind of blurry vision. This is just an idea which presents the concept of having a rather passive effect though as it can be literally anything these shadow people are able to do.

Also now that you actually require more gasoline, you could perhaps add a different way of fending off the shadowpeople with light, a bonfire which uses the logs/planks could be a logical step in that direction. Leaving people with only one option might create frustration and adding a different way at the cost of valuable resources makes it less irritating without actually losing the essence of Darkwood, which is being a hard survival game where choices do matter.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:24 am

I guess my issue is, I'm a bit of a video game resource hoarder, especially in games like this. I always try to avoid using anything unless it's really, really called for. If I can get away with punching stuff in a game rather than using resources, I'll do it. So I learn to get by in games with as little as possible, and build up enormous stores of stuff. When I started playing Darkwood, I looked at how much it felt like I was expected to use my resources daily making light, making weapons, filling the generator, boarding up windows...and it just didn't seem like it scaled right. I'd run out of resources playing like that very fast. And fighting stuff at night without a generator, or even with, is a huge resource drain and gamble.

So hiding behind the wardrobe became my defacto way of dealing with the resource drains of the game. I'd explore as much as I could with no weapons, no lights, no healing items. And only when I was ready to clear or explore a site would I grab everything I should be using.

It's not that I don't like the idea of the shadows or even the worms. It's just that it feels like a mandated daily resource drain. Which I could probably do with some of that if I'm being honest. But I think the guaranteed nature of a lot of these things is what I find a little frustrating. I think they'd be better served by randomness, and scaling.

MAJOR

Post by MAJOR » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:01 pm

Nenjin wrote: -Snip-
I have the exact same idea when it comes to resource-managing games and survival horror. It's a good thing though becauce it means you'll be more cautious and consider your losses in certain siutations. I however think right now shadows really force a certain playing style, which is exploring and using the carefully scavenged gasoline for lights during nighttime which can be very frustrating.

jy_626

Post by jy_626 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:03 am

Just thought I should pitch in as well:

Gasoline runs out CRAZY fast for me. I play on permanent death mode, and the generator guzzles fuel like it's trying to wreck the woods further with air pollution.

I haven't exactly looked at how much fuel it consumed; but enough for me to use the gasoline to mass produce molotovs instead after the few times I tried the generator, and I spend my nights in the dark hugging a corner with the torch drawn for a few seconds when the shadows comes. Then it's back to keep waiting for daylight in the dark while hearing...things in the woods.

Also, it's the STEAM version and Alpha 3.1

Either its me or really a bug.