Alpha 4

All things Darkwood!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Alpha 4

Post by Gustaw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Yeah I got sick, and now we're still polishing it up. Should be any day now :)

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:52 pm

Ready when you are :)

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:17 pm

I have played for almost 2 hours now and its fucking awesome!!!

ShadyS

Post by ShadyS » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Game is so playable in it's current state! The only thing that I'm not love in game it is well mechanic because it slows me down very much in game progress. I saw many different buildings and some of them had own wells too and I think if I could repair wells there and hide inside of those buildings for a night that would be super cool then.

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:14 am

The game is unbelievable in its current state! The nights are so awesome and surpassed all my expectations!!
In part 2 of my lets play things go absolutely crazy!!! (link in the lets play darkwood alpha 4 Topic)

tomtentp

Post by tomtentp » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 pm

ShadyS wrote:Game is so playable in it's current state! The only thing that I'm not love in game it is well mechanic because it slows me down very much in game progress. I saw many different buildings and some of them had own wells too and I think if I could repair wells there and hide inside of those buildings for a night that would be super cool then.
Agreed, staying at alternative locations at night would be very desirable. Even if it means that you have to fend off a couple of evil black clouds ;)

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:08 pm

I've been very pleased with the game throughout, and some of the new night events in this build are creepy awesome.

But I have to say I'm starting to get frustrated with the creeping crude. I've always found it irritating but it seems like you guys dialed it up another notch in Alpha 4.

Within a week it had made the starting house virtually uninhabitable. It now back fills into areas the player was spending the night as soon as they walk out of the area too, leaving your storage containers or hold up room in the middle of fields of death. Molotovs seem to clear out a space large enough for the player to stand in, so it takes multiple molotovs to clear out a single patch. The only other option for destroying them involves walking to the center of the mass and laying down a trail of gasoline, which will get you killed. The patches cannot be removed by any other means, and now with the Shadow changes fuel is at even more of a premium.

I think this particular mechanic, the way it's tuned, is currently overkill and I've said as much in previous versions. I'm starting to wonder how we're expected to deal with it, other than burn every last drop of gasoline and alcohol we have until we have none left. I know the thing that leaves the patches is a mob which you can kill, but are we really expected to spend the night running end to end through our hideout to make sure we can kill this guy? You can't reasonable secure an entire house, and this guy eventually will pollute every room of it, making your hideout smaller and smaller until there is no where left to move or stay.

The breaking point for me was when I had my storage containers made inaccessible. In the time it would have taken me to run to them, grab something I might get rid of the crud with, and leave, I'd have died. So far I haven't really found anything unfair in Darkwood so far, but this has gotten to that point.

So some suggestions.

-At a bare minimum, please increase the amount destroyed by molotovs.

-Please, please let this stuff expire on its own after a few days. At the very least the player isn't forced to spend the rest of the game looking for the stuff to get rid of it while also trying to survive. I'd need at least three molotovs to get rid of the stuff currently plaguing just one room, which is an insane amount of resources. You are basically accruing a resource debt every time a new patch gets laid.

-Let us beat at it with lit torch in melee to destroy a small amount by hand.

---

A couple other suggestions/questions:

-It's cool that players don't lose their mutations and essence on death anymore, but I think that could be tweaked to add some sting back to non-permadeath. Perhaps dying should cost you some essence.

-What are we supposed to do about Shadows now? Swat at them with a weapon as they come flying by?

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:32 pm

The infestation is caused by bugs which spawn at night in a event. If you don't want the infestation to spread - you need to hunt down the bugs. If you turtle yourself in one room for the whole night, you will need to deal with the other parts of your hideout being infested.

Shadows - they're only afraid of light, and you can fend them off with lamps, flares, and the flashlight.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Gustaw wrote:The infestation is caused by bugs which spawn at night in a event. If you don't want the infestation to spread - you need to hunt down the bugs. If you turtle yourself in one room for the whole night, you will need to deal with the other parts of your hideout being infested.
So then we do pretty much have to move through the house at night to squash the bug? Like I said, I think the resource costs if you don't find and kill him, whether because you're turtling, because you're out of everything or because you're busy trying to stay alive from all the other hazard NOT turtling involves, it start to build up too much. That's why I'd like the crud to deteriorate. At the very least, you'll know that after some point, suicide running through your house isn't your only option, or scavenging every molotov you can manage to deal with old threats instead of new ones. I don't know if the crud in Piotrek's garage would be affected by that change or not. But as it is, you essentially become homeless and it will continue to happen at new places. I get you guys don't want turtling, but I feel like you're making it something you can't come back from.
Shadows - they're only afraid of light, and you can fend them off with lamps, flares, and the flashlight.
But not torches and lanterns? I can maybe understand lanterns, but torches cast a ton of light. I appreciate that shadows appear to be somewhat random instead of a guaranteed event.

HotshotDemon

Post by HotshotDemon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:12 am

I don't have that many problems with the bugs. granted I've just moved to the second hideout and haven't seen any bugs there but once you board up your hideout you are pretty free to patrol through it. As for the crap those bugs leave, I've just invented a new and cheap way to deal with it.

Run into the stuff, drop 1 drop of gasoline, run away and throw a match at the gasoline. With will kill off most, if not all, of the stuff and costs you: 1 match, 1 drop of gasoline, 1/3 segment of your health bar. Watch part 4 of my Lets Play in another topic to see how i do this.

The shadows are awesome in their current state. There are many ways to make and sustain a light source.