Dying constantly on Day 1

All things Darkwood!
karzbobeans

Dying constantly on Day 1

Post by karzbobeans » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 am

So I'm noticing something in alpha 3 that is getting annoying. I follow the path, the first road leading from your hideout to find the burned houses and other cool stuff. Usually logs and supplies. I have died 3 times in a row on day 1 because the path is no longer useful. It keeps guiding me into these areas where I can't see anything in front of me and there are mushrooms all over the ground. If I don't die navigating through it during the day, I'll stomp on them when I have to run during dusk to get back to my hideout.

What is going on in these dark areas? I'm still in an open meadow with a few trees. Why can my character only see a pixel in front of him? I'm confused why this mushroom mine field is put in a place you have to transverse in the very beginning.

In the trailers it looked like things were a lot more visible, even when they were greyed out from not looking at directly at them. I liked that a lot better. It seems more frustrating than fun to not be able to see the environment around you half the time you are playing.

Just my 2 cents.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: Dying constantly on Day 1

Post by Gustaw » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:22 am

Mushrooms and trees appearing on roads is a bug in the current version, sorry about that :(

We like the fact that you need to be really careful when exploring the woods, but there are indeed quite a few people complaining about walking into mushrooms in the meadow, so we will look into that.

jy_626

Re: Dying constantly on Day 1

Post by jy_626 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I second this.

The path should be clear as it is also an important element which players use to re-orient their bearings. That's not the main problem though since I can can go around it, but I've gotten a bit lost doing it most of the time.

The biggest problem is that sometimes, the clumps grow along a very winding section of the path, and it's really hard to find where it continues because of the trees, the strange fog around the mushroom clumps and the very poor visibility.

Also, a lot of times I have died while making my way back to the hideout in poor daylight by following the path (No one would want a huge detour when visibility is poor anyways) so naturally its really frustrating to die this way since players are essentially forced to take this route.

mushroom clumps in the woods are fair game though, but again should be placed off the beaten path at least ;)