The Wizards need your opinion: Controls

All things Darkwood!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

The Wizards need your opinion: Controls

Post by Gustaw » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:38 pm

What do you think of the movement controls? And I mean movement, not combat. I've seen quite a few people having trouble with them, but I'm at a loss as to why. It's the same as any other top-down game (hotline miami, teleglitch etc.)...

There have been suggestions to a alternative movement mode, where your character moves relative to your mouse cursor (meaning pressing UP will move your character there, as opposed to moving to the top of the sceen). I find it pretty bad, but you requested it, so it will be added to the next alpha.

Post your thoughts about the controls, especially your initial impressions!

Need

Re: The Wizards need your opinion: Controls

Post by Need » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:42 pm

i think its alright.Maybe ability to walk slower.otherwise its good.
sorry

Rednecklawrence

Post by Rednecklawrence » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:45 pm

I really like it. Ive never played another top-down game like this, and I think all others should be like darkwood. Combats difficult, but it adds to the suspense!
"It ain't illegal until you get caught" - Rene Soetaert

sbXII

Post by sbXII » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:43 pm

I wouldn't change it, because it's a slow gameplay. You can't do anything wrong. Hotline Miami is faster, so it's more difficult to play.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:19 pm

I think the control schema is where it needs to be. Turning around is quite fast, your dude is fairly responsive to changing direction. I don't have any problems running away from stuff.

About the only thing I don't like is the wind up speed on melee weapons. That always feels a little awkward to me but I know it's a big part of combat balance. Really it's the way the wind up affects movement and everything else that is the biggest difference between this and other top-down games.

jy_626

Post by jy_626 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:58 am

Nenjin wrote:
About the only thing I don't like is the wind up speed on melee weapons. That always feels a little awkward to me but I know it's a big part of combat balance. Really it's the way the wind up affects movement and everything else that is the biggest difference between this and other top-down games.

I mostly just use the secondary attack (Middle mouse button) for savages with sticks, and molotovs for savages that toss rocks.

Primary wind-up attack is mostly reserved for dogs, huge dogs, and one on one confrontation with chompers in a wide open space.

If more than one attacks me and I am still having a melee weapon, then I can kiss my current game goodbye. Moreso since you can't upgrade your health now, which personally I thought was a rather genius move since there's very little room of error...which in a permadeath game means that the devs WANT you to secure and use firearms you find especially in the later stages of the game.

karzbobeans

Post by karzbobeans » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:37 am

Controls are fine as they are in terms of orientation. The idea for moving relative to the mouse cursor sounds awful, but that's just my opinion.

The main difference that makes this game harder, control wise, is that movement is slower. Reactions are slower. It's harder to time that hit on the enemy. But that's not necessarily bad just different. I kind of like it. It's more realistic. I would like to maybe see quicker movement and faster weapons as you explore and level up.

The biggest thing the controls need IMO is gamepad support for living rooms. I've been playing games with big picture/gamepad a lot this year and I've been dying to add Darkwood to the living room. Please could you please please add gamepad support please please pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease??

Thanks, dawgs!

Love
karzbobeans

tomtentp

Post by tomtentp » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:30 am

I've been thinking hard for some smart reasons for why to do and why to not preserve the current control system. I think that in the end you will end up with the same degree of freedom in terms of movement and viewing the environment with both control systems. It's just down to if the player is used to the one or the other.

This leads to the question if it's possible to implement both? I can't see why they would need any individual tweaking as they are essentially the same. Neither does one present any advantage over the other.

Add an option to choose which one and the noob.... er.. players who can't learn "new" control systems will be all happy and dandy all night long!

Canyoncl

Post by Canyoncl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:17 pm

I think the movement controls are PERFECT, please DON'T change it. If you do change the system, please give me the option of switching back in settings, (IE allow both!)
Give a man a fish he is fed for a day.
Teach a man to fish he is fed for a lifetime.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day.
Set a man on fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Deathscreton

Post by Deathscreton » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:35 pm

jy_626 wrote:
Nenjin wrote: If more than one attacks me and I am still having a melee weapon, then I can kiss my current game goodbye. Moreso since you can't upgrade your health now, which personally I thought was a rather genius move since there's very little room of error...which in a permadeath game means that the devs WANT you to secure and use firearms you find especially in the later stages of the game.
I realized that upgrading health wasn't a thing anymore either. What are weird stones used for now?