A game mode idea

All things Darkwood!
karzbobeans

A game mode idea

Post by karzbobeans » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:45 am

I've found that the game auto-saves at the beginning of each day. As of now, when I am about to die I just quit and start over from the beginning of that day. It's still a pain in the ass to do the entire day over again 3 or 4 times in a row, but I feel like that's much better than dying and waking up in a random place. Doesn't make sense for the protagonist to die and the game to continue.

Does anyone else think this is a good way to deal with non-permanent death?

tomtentp

Re: A game mode idea

Post by tomtentp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:27 pm

I agree that the death system is somewhat broken right now and as I understand it the devs agree on this aswell.
We can always help them out by suggesting ideas. This is a very tricky part of the core mechanics as it affects all aspects of the gameplay.

All in all I think it was a good thing moving away from "losing progress that you cannot get back" approach. That would make me want to start over if I died more than a couple of times, which feels wierd.

But right now it feels like i don't get any punishment from dieing except maybe lose a couple of minutes and have to deal with the embaressment of having too many days "survived" displayed when I log in.

To fix the issue you just stated (your cheating death trick) I would implement a sort of "in combat timer" which prevented you from exiting the game for that time. If you then force exit the game then you will be considered having died when you load the game again.

EDIT
My real opinion is to skip non-permanent death entierly. But I understand that the devs want to capture the softcore audience aswell. If you look at any of the other big survival games they pretty much all lack the non-permanent mode. This makes the game more challenging and will probably not be to everyones likings.

However, something that differs this game from many other survival games is the story. By adding a story that is to be followed in sequence it is much more important to allow the players to reach certain checkpoints in order to traverse through the story without it feeling repetitious or "in vain" to start over again.

Checkpoints
A suggestion could be to add checkpoints and then make the player start from the most recent one when they die. The checkpoints could be certain points in the storyline like "repairing the well" or "talking to the chicken lady for the first time". When you die and start from the checkpoint everything is preserved as if you jumped back in time. This would also encourage you to follow the storyline.

Another idea could be to have them occure when you "level up".

The regular saving could be keept as it is and only allow the player to log on and off.