How are things going?

All things Darkwood!
Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Re: How are things going?

Post by Gustaw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:04 am

Chainer wrote:It's taking way too much time to get to the final builds won't you agree Gustaw?
Why? How can we speed them up?

Chainer
Supporter

Post by Chainer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Even if i don't know how remember what the original release date was? It personally bothers me to think that i could die or something else and never see the game that expected to, but it also bothers me of the possibility of another duke nukem forever.

Waismuth

Post by Waismuth » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:53 pm

First of all, comparing an indie game, such as Darwkood, to an utter shit that was Duke Nukem already makes little sense. Darkwood is being made by a small team of dedicated people, not a huge ass company. This fact already sets it in a completely different category than the so called assembly-line-made Triple A games. Darkwood's game play has grown tremendously since the 1.3 version; it's hard not to notice its growth and improvements. We already have the pre-taste of what Darkwood will be after it's been released, we can already play it, after all. So the possibly of it actually getting worse than now is very slim, it's not like the game style will suddenly take a 180 degree turn and change to garbage, can it?. Darkwood, being in early access, can still offer much more than many game's I've ran across. So I say let's all be patient and wait for the final version, because from this point it can only get better.

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Chainer wrote:Even if i don't know how remember what the original release date was? It personally bothers me to think that i could die or something else and never see the game that expected to, but it also bothers me of the possibility of another duke nukem forever.
I don't remember ever stating a release date. This is from the Early Access page:
]Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“About a year (counting from July 2014), although that depends on a lot of things which will become clear during Early Access.”
Obviously, we won't make it for July 2015, as a lot of things became clear during Early Access ;) forcing us to remake many features.

So it's not like we've been delaying it or anything. It may seem that it's been in production for a long time, but it's an illusion caused by the fact that our crowdfunding campaign's end is the moment where we remade the game from scratch. Usually, a game's announcement is released when the game is near completion, not when it's production is being started...

Chainer
Supporter

Post by Chainer » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:50 pm

FAQ on Indiegogo campaing wrote: On what platforms will Darkwood be released, and when?
PC, Mac and Linux! Currently, there is no console or mobile support planned. If all goes well, we will be able to release the game around mid-2014!
@Waismuth - The reason i mentioned Forever is because the game ended up getting postponed because of more ideas that they kept trying to implement in their game, but iirc the game then became graphically old and got postponed some more, and some more...

Gustaw
Acid Wizard

Post by Gustaw » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:15 pm

Ouch, indeed, it looks like that was our initial assumption when starting the campaign...

But (unless my memory fails me again) we haven't postponed it in any way other than the wrong date in the campaign notes.

Anyways, we're confident that spending more time on Darkwood is needed to make it a truly unique experience. We've come very far from the first versions, and don't want to end up like many promising titles in the recent years, which stopped just before the finish line.

Need

Post by Need » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 am

Chainer wrote:@Waismuth - The reason i mentioned Forever is because the game ended up getting postponed because of more ideas that they kept trying to implement in their game, but iirc the game then became graphically old and got postponed some more, and some more...
1.when wizards implement some idea that we dont like they scrap it and come with something that works.(shadows for example)
2.indie graphics dont get old.(when they are 3D)
3.i used to bitch about slow update rate too but you will soon understand whats going on.just read through update logs and try to imagine how much code Gustav (since he is the only code guy in studio) has to write to make that happen)
4.game gets better and better and thats undeniable fact so there is no need to worry about it.
sorry

Chainer
Supporter

Post by Chainer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:27 am

Gustaw wrote:Ouch, indeed, it looks like that was our initial assumption when starting the campaign...

But (unless my memory fails me again) we haven't postponed it in any way other than the wrong date in the campaign notes.

Anyways, we're confident that spending more time on Darkwood is needed to make it a truly unique experience. We've come very far from the first versions, and don't want to end up like many promising titles in the recent years, which stopped just before the finish line.
I don't disagree with you Gustaw, but there was indeed a date when everyone backed the project and now there's also no date of delivery. From someone that will not play alpha/beta because he wants to get the most out of the final version, the carrot of playing alpha while waiting for a release date in front of my face is indeed not enough. And personally expecting the game for the next 1 to 3 years tops still doesn't make me happy.

How much do you think a release date alters the capability of funding a project?

Shrooms

Post by Shrooms » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:58 am

Considering how small the team is and how high quality the game is, I'm perfectly fine with them taking their time so long as it pays off :D

null

Post by null » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:31 pm

I'm fine with waiting, too, but it's been pretty damn long since the IGG campaign till now when you're not able to even play the game because it's only on Steam.