Faces

All things Darkwood!
Vatticson

Faces

Post by Vatticson » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Hello! i'm new to this forum. i've just pledged some € for the game.

i don't usually play horror games, they scare me so much, but i loved Eternal Darkness a lot, and though Legend of Grimrock it's not supposed to be a horror game... when you run out of light it's PRETTY scary :(

So! why the title of this thread says "Faces"?

Games which most disturbs me has some kind of 3rd or far-person view, but with scenes in first person view, say, for example (SPOILERS ahead!):

In Darkseed, when you receive a package in the front of your mansion's door at the end of the first day... oh! it's a pretty baby... oh wait... or when you talk to the librarian... it disturbs me somehow :S.

In the first Resident Evil, when i was a little boy, the first zombie moment was.... oh my gosh. I don't know what scared me the most, if his face, or the fact that the Playstation took a long time (like 8 seconds) to take out that cutscene, with that last frozen frame, those eyes running down my spine ><

In Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, some citizen have very, very evil faces... and there's a place where the game focuses the camera DIRECTLY at the face of a dead old lady.

The face of SHODAN in System Shock 2 frightened me a lot (not anymore).

And how about Ao Oni?:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _large.png

Well! When i've saw the first alpha trailer from Darkwood, when the kid shows you the drawing of a monster... i was like o_o. I liked that theme very much, playing with your imagination.

Maybe using face-to-face encounters it's not that effective and im a little scary kid :oops: , what do you think?

XGCForsakend
Supporter

Re: Faces

Post by XGCForsakend » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:08 am

Nah, I am with you there. My imagination tends to run wild sometimes and can be your own worst enemy. I got goosebumps when he showed you that drawing. It was like "W-T-F?!?" O_O

luke

Post by luke » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:35 pm

I too wish to look into the Faeces of mine enemy as the life drains from their eyes!

Qapla'!

R3zorian
Supporter

Post by R3zorian » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm

The zombie face you mentioned from the original Resident Evil got me too. Come to think of it, the box art for the US release of Resident Evil 2 got me as well at the time. Not so much now, but then? Very creepy.

Oddly enough the face that always stays with me is the one of Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal: Black that is shown during a different character's ending (Yellow Jacket's Ending). It does almost the exact same thing that the first Resident Evil did: Plays some creepy music and then holds the image there for just long enough to creep you out.

Still love that game though.

Chainer
Supporter

Post by Chainer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:24 pm

I actually think the opposite to be true. The least I can see the more I can imagine and the more creeped out I get. It's not hearing the rusty sword scrapping the floor that scares me, it's not knowing where it is and how to avoid it... The ambiance you get trough the music is also very important, like in .flow and Silent Hill.

Regarding the kid showing the picture, I actually found it pretty cute rather than scary. I wish I could draw like that T__T