What are you reading?

Talk about anything here.

What are you reading?

Postby Pita » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:20 am

We are not only gamers – and wizards – but also avid books readers and movie watchers. I can suppose the same can be told about our forum members.

So what are you currently reading?

I am currently reading Soldier of Sidon – third part of Gene Wolfe's Soldier series chronicling the adventures of a Roman mercenary after the Battle of Thermopylae.

But there is a little twist - he loses his memory every day, so he writes a scroll about his adventures. And he sees gods. Many gods. As always when it comes to Wolfe - our mercenary (called Latro, btw ;) ) is an unreliable narrator. Wolfe himself is “a translator” of these “long lost scrolls”.

It is a great trilogy. Filled with little details, and with great use of words, playing with narrations, demanding great attention - it is one of the best fantasy works I have ever read.

I recommend it with all my heart.
Thou bearest in Heaven at night,
And more I admire
Thy distant fire,
Than that colder, lowly light.
Pita

Re: What are you reading?

Postby UndeadGuru » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Pita wrote:We are not only gamers – and wizards – but also avid books readers and movie watchers. I can suppose the same can be told about our forum members.

So what are you currently reading?

I am currently reading Soldier of Sidon – third part of Gene Wolfe's Soldier series chronicling the adventures of a Roman mercenary after the Battle of Thermopylae.

But there is a little twist - he loses his memory every day, so he writes a scroll about his adventures. And he sees gods. Many gods. As always when it comes to Wolfe - our mercenary (called Latro, btw ;) ) is an unreliable narrator. Wolfe himself is “a translator” of these “long lost scrolls”.

It is a great trilogy. Filled with little details, and with great use of words, playing with narrations, demanding great attention - it is one of the best fantasy works I have ever read.

I recommend it with all my heart.

Wow that sounds like a fantastic book!

I'm currently reading Metro 2034. It's really good!
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.
UndeadGuru
VIP

Postby Sweetruin » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 pm

I finally abandoned my attempt to get through the 'Divergent' series -- it's pretty groovy, but I just couldn't keep my attention on it. Now I'm back to slowly but surely devouring 'A Dance with Dragons' in an attempt to make it last as long as possible.

Other than that, I blow through Historical Fiction ridiculously fast, since that's the genre I'm currently writing in. :)
Behold, the wild and elusive Gamer Chick in her natural habitat.
Sweetruin

Postby Need » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 pm

So recently i finished Cthulhu 2000.Its cyclopian i can tell you
Last edited by Need on Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sorry
Need

Postby Nenjin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Copious amounts of Warhammer 40k fiction.
Nenjin

Postby Carl the BedWetter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:27 am

Nenjin wrote:Copious amounts of Warhammer 40k fiction.

Oh Warhammer, I want to get into those. I hear they're really good.

For me nothing interesting. Just a few art books. Currently studding Andrew Loomis's books along side with Drawing on the right side of the brain, by Betty Edwards. Her theories of the brain are a bit outdated, but still a good read.
Carl the BedWetter

Postby chal.nikkal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:52 pm

I just couldn't keep my attention on it. Now I'm back to slowly but surely devouring 'A Dance with Dragons' in an attempt to make it last as long as possible. ???
You can join us for best ccnp exam fees dumps exam security plus practice exams training solutions. Our ccna classes - pass4sure contains all those materials you want to pass for real www.the-bac.edu exam & ase training in Principia College
chal.nikkal

Postby 87charlie » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52 am

Maybe polish literature? Do you know something? For example Jakub Żulczyk and "Ślepnąć od świateł" or Jerzy Pilch "Bezpowrotnie utracona leworęczność. I like "Mrs Bovary", "Crime and puniskment" too.
87charlie

Postby MAJOR » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Metro series books and "Roadside Picnic" (The book which inspired the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series :p )

I'm a sucker for post-apoc stuff, that and warhammer 40k fiction.
MAJOR

Postby Miralath » Thu May 07, 2015 9:49 pm

Stephen King's "On Writing". Really great if you're looking at inspiration or even if you're not a writer. His little stories are pretty good.
Miralath

Return to General Off-Topic