Where's your panic room? :D

All things Darkwood!
TheBigcheese42
Supporter

Where's your panic room? :D

Post by TheBigcheese42 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:43 am

Hi guys, hope you're all enjoying Darkwood as much as I am!

I think the question has to be asked: What style do you guys like to adapt on your first few nights? Every person I've asked all seem to have a different playstyle when it comes to surviving their first few Darkwood nights. The most inconsistent detail I come across however is which room do you hold out in?

I stand by rebuilding the door in the South West of the house and barricading the North door. Where do you guys like to huddle in a ball? Any interesting ways you've further reinforced your house? I'm seriously hoping for the hideout to be randomly generated in future versions, maybe even something insane like secret passages or even a second story?

Love to hear any stories you might have :D

Happy hiding!
The artist currently known as Crumpdaddy

[E] Hungry

Re: Where's your panic room? :D

Post by [E] Hungry » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:22 pm

On my 3rd night I've stay in the north room where it have 3 windows , I've barricading all the windows except for the one on the left so that I can place the bear trap and hopefully that some thing will get trapped by it and then I can get some odd meat. I stand at southeast corner and use wardrobe to hide myself from the north window.
And then it come that bird like creature when I saw it outside I got panic because it my first time encounter this creature , and got even more panic when it fly though the window and pass my bear trap. At that moment I'm in really hopeless situation because all I have was a plank with nails ,I know that I'll not survive the night so I wait it to strike me and end this but nope it just walk aimlessly around my room and do not engage me. And I've spent the rest of the night with this creature until the morning come. ;)

Scrax

Post by Scrax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Wait... You can rebuild that wall? I can stop getting ravaged by bloody thirsty hell hounds?
Holding on anger is like drinking poison, and expecting the other person to die.

Gork

Post by Gork » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Haven't died yet.

InsanelyOrange

Post by InsanelyOrange » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:21 pm

@Gork

Jesus, that's brilliant!

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I do what Gork does, except the opposite corner next to the code-locked crate.

It seems like if enemies can't make LOS on you, they just won't attack. Needs further testing.

Gork

Post by Gork » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:50 pm

Even if they know where you are, they just can't attack you because of wardrobe. I hope it won't be "fixed". Fight or hide :)

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Gork wrote:Even if they know where you are, they just can't attack you because of wardrobe. I hope it won't be "fixed". Fight or hide :)
Yeah, I'm torn on it to. On the one hand, knowing enemies can't ever attack you basically ruins the whole point of Home Defense.

On the other hand, it's nice to be able to survive the night instead of standing there and praying nothing sees you. It's simply impossible to keep your Skills when you're dying every night to monster attacks.

It's something that needs to get looked at for future balance. I've heard monsters pushing wardrobes around before, so it's not impossible for them to move them. Maybe monsters need to be able to attack and destory wardrobes (although lord knows what would happen to all the items inside. They'd probably fire out of the wardrobe like they were shot from a cannon.)

Gork

Post by Gork » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 pm

Yeah, that's the point. Everything I have for self defense so far is bat with nails. It's almost impossible to kill more than one invader.

I just think that this whole thing about home defense isn't right choice for Darkwood. I thought it's going to be more like "run for your life or die!", but Darkwood force me to kill a lot. It's not hideout, it's slaughterhouse.

Nenjin

Post by Nenjin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Everything I have for self defense so far is bat with nails. It's almost impossible to kill more than one invader.
In Alpha 1.0, I managed to kill two Huge Dogs and a....thing, all with one Axe over the course of one night. They came one at a time, I had light and I think my Axe was both Light and Razor Sharp...so I had all the advantages. Two or more enemies at the same time though is trouble. I imagine that's why the kitchen is so long, so you can kite enemies a bit. Most enemies are beatable if you can back up while you wind up your swing. The house prevents that, which is why fights there are so unpleasant.

Most of this would be moot with a shotgun, but who knows when you can actually get one of those.

I like the idea of home defense, but it is very much at odds with Permadeath/Resource decay/Keeping your Skills in its current implementation. I don't really know how to make it better though. Either you a) not getting attacked, which renders lights, traps and barricades mostly pointless or b) you're getting attacked and in the end there's nothing you can do about it. I've had barricades hold a single monster most of the night, and I've had monsters smash through multiple barricades in one night. And it's just currently too expensive to keep rebuilding them, or to fight 1 or more Night Monsters every 24 minutes...so it makes the most sensible option to either 1) die with nothing on you and hoard all your Essence for later or 2) hide behind a wardrobe where the AI is incapable of attacking you.

Maybe there needs to be more emphasis on light and noise, and less on the barricading and fighting.

I dunno, I'd like to hear more people's thoughts on this. It just doesn't feel right currently. Those first few nights, the noises and the ambiguity about whether or not you'll be attacked is awesome tension, and quiet nights are a blessed relief. You're like "Yeah! Can't wait to get some barricades and traps up..." But once you figure out the odds stacked against keeping your skills, the expensive of items and the how badly death penalizes you, home defense basically seems like an unwinnable situation that you have to "cheat" your way around so it doesn't wreck your game.

Some dev input here about how things actually work, and what they originally expected of home defense, would be helpful.